Author Topic: Recipe website recommendations?  (Read 8869 times)

Janie

Recipe website recommendations?
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:02:23 AM »
Or links to your favorite recipes? I'm looking to add some new dishes into my selection of old favorites.

I was just gifted a bread machine and rice cooker (second hand, from someone who never used hers) so bonus points for recipes that call for either. Thanks!

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
Re: Recipe website recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 06:16:16 AM »
Here's a starting place for experimenting with your rice cooker:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/surprising-things-you-can-make-in-a-rice-cooker

Everything from Quinoa Salad to Chocolate Cake! The recipe links can help you find multiple sources for more... Enjoy your Mustachian cooking adventures.

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 06:25:09 AM »
Allrecipies.com is fantastic.

The "Army SOS" is great.

Janie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:25:45 AM »
Thanks!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »
I'll second allrecipes.com. Not only can you look up recipes by name, you can list ingredients you have (and ones you don't) and get suggestions of things you can make.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache

Janie

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »
Whoa, Russ--what a treasure trove!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Another allrecipes.com fan.  I've got hundreds of recipes and use it weekly to make my shopping list.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
I'm an epicurious.com fan. I wont make a recipe with fewer than a 90% user ranking and then I never go wrong. For bread recipes, king arthur flour company has some great recipes too. I use my machine for making pizza and pasta dough. Its great for kneading. Rice is so easy to make than a rice cooker would just take up space in my pantry.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »
I love allrecipes.com, but here's a few others that are pretty great:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/
Cheap but tasty eats. I love the variety too.

http://www.copykat.com/
LOVE this site. If there is a chain restaurant dish that you crave, you can usually find it here and make it at home for much less (and it's nice to see what kind of stuff goes in there too and adjust to make it healthier)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/
Super recipes and she's got an amazing blog just in general

http://naturallyella.com/2010/05/15/roasted-radish-and-asparagus-salad/
This recipe is awesome, and I make it all the time when the asparagus goes on super sale, but do check out her other recipes as she's got some wonderful stuff.

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
After being a long-time allrecipes.com user, I now find myself using eatingwell.com a lot.  Besides a whole bunch of recipes, you can also get month-long meal plans based on different calorie levels and eating habits (i.e. vegetarian, gluten-free, diabetic, no restrictions, etc...) I've found their recipes consistently pretty darn good, and healthy of course.

oceanbreeze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Something for the health-conscious, paleo-curious, gluten-free, celiac-sensitive crowd:
TGIPaleo.com.

"Smashed potatoes" were a hit on Thursday:
http://www.tgipaleo.com/2013/02/21/smashed-potatoes/

Now I just have to snorkel my way through another batch modify the recipe for a convection microwave oven, and to include Okinawan sweet potatoes as well as red yams.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:42 PM »
100daysofrealfood.com

BronzeSpoon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
This isn't a website, but I really learned a lot from the book "An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace". It made me a much more frugal cook and grocery shopper. It also freed me from recipes, for the most part.

While the book has a lot of good recipes in it, its real genius is that it gives you lots and lots of examples for breaking free of recipes and just using what you have, and - importantly for readers of this site - using all of what you have.

For example, buy a head of broccoli and roast the florets. You're not done yet; Now core the stem, boil it and mash it with walnuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Now you have a pesto.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 04:12:55 AM »
I've been using Allrecipes.com and foodnetwork.com for years.

I just learned about Budget Bytes and I am a bit obsessed with the site. She breaks down the cost per serving and generally keeps her meals to a buck per serving. I've tried a few recipes, like her cornbread skillet chili, homemade pita bread, homemade tortillas, and a few others....I am quite obsessed. She has a book coming out in February that I cannot wait to get from the library. She also has a few bread recipes on there.

Kimbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »
I just learned about Budget Bytes and I am a bit obsessed with the site. She breaks down the cost per serving and generally keeps her meals to a buck per serving. I've tried a few recipes, like her cornbread skillet chili, homemade pita bread, homemade tortillas, and a few others....I am quite obsessed. She has a book coming out in February that I cannot wait to get from the library. She also has a few bread recipes on there.

I second Budget Bytes.  Her recipes are easy to follow and many I've tried are very good.  There's something for everyone in there.  I'm an aspiring vegan and have been able to modify her recipes easily to meet my needs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!