Author Topic: rechargeable bike head light recommendations?  (Read 2635 times)

MatthewK

• Stubble
rechargeable bike head light recommendations?
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
I currently use a Cateye Opti Cube which I like other than it being double A battery operated. It's perfect/sleek size. Easy to operate and easy to take on/off. It's plenty bright with fresh batteries. I don't ride at night so I don't use the always on setting, just the strobe to be better seen. So any recommendations to something similar to what I've got in a rechargeable model? Thanks in advance.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: rechargeable bike head light recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »

I don't have a recommendation but am considering one as well.  Some have rechargeable batteries within the removable light while others have batteries mounted to the bike and linked to the light with a cable.  Then you have the different brightness levels and run times.  I wasn't sure what to get, so I put it off since I have a working solution.  I currently have a flashlight mount with a small LED flashlight with a bright light (uses AA NiMH) and then a separate light with 4 AA NiMH batteries with a very long runtime and less bright LED.  So I'll use both if I'll be riding late evening.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »
I've been very happy with several NiteRider lights (bar mount and helmet mount). Good customer service also.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 12:52:01 PM »
DH recently got a pair of Blackburn lights, I think the model is 2-fer XL. Pricey, but bright enough to make him comfortable riding in our heavy traffic, and cheaper than a month of transit.

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »
I love the cygolight lights. Reasonably priced, frequently on sale somewhere, and a wide variety of models to choose from. We have several and I’ve been happy with all of them.

meddling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »
I've got a Cycle Torch Night Owl (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJXP6V8). It's USB-rechargable. I plug it into my desk computer once a week at work over the winter.

I've had it for almost two years now and it's survived my daily commute through Minnesotan-level rain and snow (and salt!).  It's not terribly bright, so I have a backup light (battery) as well on particularly dark nights where I want more visibility.  The build quality is not amazing but it's held up, and still holds a charge over the summer when I barely use it.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »
If you just need a flashing strobe, the Bontrager Ion 100R/Flare R City are fantastic lights. They're tiny, recharge via USB, and are the brightest lights I see on our rides. I use them all the time. I usually get home around sunset at certain times of the year, and the front light does provide enough illumination if you know the road.

I just bought another set at 20% off today at my local bike shop.

https://www.sunrisecyclery.com/product/bontrager-ion-100-r-flare-r-city-light-set-295630-1.htm?variations=38194,38195&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pLZBRCxARIsALaaY9bex9H2rCbNpv7t2jDLsPGsnIXnVTqhk7BPBkur-wexc6r7IfzhazAaAodFEALw_wcB

Rylito

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
Second the NiteRider recommendation and can vouch for their great customer service.  I broke the port that the charging cord plugs into on my 3 year old light and they repaired it for free, no questions asked.  Their lights are super bright so will be highly visible even in the daytime on blink mode.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »
I wonder if this is a design flaw, as BOTH mine and my wife's succumbed in the same fashion in  the last year or so. I didn't know they could/would repair them- I'll have to see if I still have them. Other than that, I agree on the brightness, especially with respect to price; my old 350 was as  bright as I ever felt I needed (great flashlights when not in use on the bike, too!)

Currently we're using another Niterider (550/ hers) and a Light & Motion Urban 900 (mine). I'm not sure the NR isn't every bit as bright as the L&M, though I suspect the beam pattern has a lot to do with that.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »
i second the recommendation for the Bontrager Ion 100R/Flare R City lights. I just won one in a sweepstakes at my LBS and I have never seen a bike light so bright in my life. Also the flasher, flashes using a random delay. This really catches drivers attention as opposed to a flasher with a regular flash interval.

Plus the rechargeable batteries dont need to be replaced every X rides, and u can recharge then from any usb connection.

Great product!

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
update....so I ordered the Blackburn 2fer and really liked them as far as brightness. The downside is they are bigger and heavier than I anticipated. Some of our roads around here are in terrible shape so sometimes they would need to be straightened mid ride due to the vibration moving them no matter how tight I made the strap. Also, one of them wouldn't keep a charge properly so I sent them back.  I just ordered the Bontrager Ion light that some have referred to here, so we shall see. They look much smaller so I do like that.