Author Topic: Realistic distance for work bike commute?  (Read 25438 times)

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
Realistic distance for work bike commute?
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
As summer approaches I am looking for a summertime hobby to pick up that would also be a good way to get some exercise.  I'm pretty set on buying a bike and right now I'm leaning towards a cheaper road bike.  My commute to work is 21 miles one way so 42 miles round trip.  This consists of about 10-11 miles of fairly straight with small hills and one large hill and then approx. 10 miles of in town riding on sidewalks/bike paths.  Is this even feasible to do as a commute to work and back?  I wouldn't really want to show up to work sweating like crazy but I have no clue what a commute like this would be like on a bike and I would only be able to bike about 3-4 months out of the year.  The other thing that concerns me a little is running into moose or bears, but I could research how to handle those situations.  Also, my wife and I currently carpool to work and she would continue to drive to there would be no financial gain to this other than a good workout and better health. :)

What do you guys think?

The_Dude

• Stubble
Re: Realistic distance for work bike commute?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
I think 21 mikes each way is a really long commute. You mention not arriving overly sweaty so I'm guessing you won't have access to a shower?

I've been bicycle committing for the past two months. My commute is 17 miles one way and I have only started doing the full distance in the last two weeks. The first 6 weeks or so I would drive part way and bike part way for a 9.5 miles each way bike commute.

I also don't have access to showers at work.

Some ideas for you:
Work up to it. I have a bike computer and track everything. My first week I could barley make it the 9.5 miles and my avg moving speed was in the 12-13mph range. Now I average 15.5-16.5mph the whole 17 mile commute. Avg speeds don't include time stopped.

Leave shoes and possibly clothes at work. I bring my clothes each day and change everything including socks and underwear. 

Accept that you will get sweaty. I usually get to work with slight damp spots on my shirt and shorts where the seat traps sweat. As long as I have totally clean cycling gear and change when I get to work I don't stink nor feel gross after cooling off. As it gets hotter out I may get I scented baby wipes.

At those distances don't get an upright bike. I have a hybrids and 50% of my speed gains from week one was lowering the stem all the way and flipping the handlebars upside down. My geometry is now close to a comfort road bike. I recommend you get a road bike. I wish I had.

Get a rack and trunk bag.  More aero than panniers and no backpack will help a lot with back sweat.

Oh I find a huge difference using a headband. Keeps my shirt and neck much more sweat free than without.

Good luck

kh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 04:54:45 AM »
If you're carpooling to work now, get a bike rack and have your wife drive you to work, with the bike strapped to the back. Bike home. Deals with the shower issue, and starting at 20 miles for a commute is a lot easier than 40. I used to do this with the bus system in Texas-bike on the front of the bus going to work, bike home.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:44:27 AM »
20 miles?  This will be a fun challenge.

Definitely second the idea of driving in with your wife and cycling back home in the evening to start out.  20 miles is reasonable if you're in OK shape, 40 miles off the bat might just about kill you.  :P  You will sweat like a pig in the heat, and at 20 miles you won't want to be biking at a leisurely rate.

jjquantz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »
20 miles is beyond the limit of what I would consider for a daily two-way commute. I have had 4 mile and 7.5 mile one-way commutes before and the 4 mile one was too short - I would have to look for ways to lengthen it on the way home to get enough exercise.  When we were looking to move my outer limit was about 10 miles for a one way commute.  I figured 7.5 miles was taking me about 25 minutes door to door and 10 miles would run that out to close to 35.  Although I love commuting on the bike, there are many other things I want to do with my time. I second the carpool idea, ride in with the wife and then ride home on the bike.  You could alternate days, ride in one day, then home with the wife.  Next day, ride in with the wife and home on the bike.  This could give you flexibility to work around inclement weather, as well.

TrMama

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »
40 miles round trip is pretty badass. The feasibility of doing it on a regular basis also depends on what's expected of you in your non-work hours. Do you have little kids? Work long hours? Have a physical job? Any of these tip the scale against you.

Ditto what the others have said about driving in and biking home. In fact, I'd start with that approach and only ride 3 days for the first few weeks. As you get fitter, you'll be able to do more days without killing yourself.

A road bike is a must for a commute like that. You'll also want clipless pedals and bike shoes. Trust me.

As for wildlife, I wouldn't sweat it. I've ridden past a bear before. He didn't notice me at all. In fact, the only reason I even noticed him was because some tourists had pulled over to watch him from their car. I was alone in the middle of nowhere and was freaked out about the creepy car on the side of the road, until I got closer and quickly swerved back to their side of the road to get away from the bear. If it hadn't been for the car I would've never even seen the bear.

Carry a cell phone (if there's service) in case of major mechanical issues, a flat repair kit and bear spray if it makes you feel better.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice!  I had considered driving in with the wife in the morning and then riding back so it looks like that will be the way to go.  I'm not planning on tackling the 21 mile commute right away but I will most likely start with going out on the weekends and then try to eventually build up to it.  Right now the plan is to sell my mustang in the summer and then take about 1k from the sale of the mustang and put it aside for a bike, equipment, and prob some biking cloths.  Id like to stick to around 500 bucks for the bike but I'm not sure if that is realistic.  I found some cheaper road bikes on amazon made by Vilano and from all the reviews it looks like you get some good bang for your buck.  So far this is the bike that I currently have in mind.

http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/vilano-forza-4-0-road-bicycle-shimano-sti.html

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
Yeah, you've gotten some good advice. I'll just chime in with a general +1 all-around.

My commute is 10 miles each way 2 days a week. I ride (for fun/fitness/mental well-being) 20 miles each day on my days off, sometimes more if my kids want to do a ride as well. 20 miles, even in great shape, will take you an easy 90 minutes or longer and will leave you sweaty. Moisture-wicking clothes and a stick of deodorant in your bag, reapplied when you change into your work clothes, should keep you presentable at work.

But at that distance, I'd probably do the drive in and ride back, even after you're more fit. Think of it as building your exercise routine into your day instead of it as saving money.

I haven't ridden a road bike (yet) but I'd at least check them out. Wind is a HUGE factor in my rides on the hybrid. I like the extra visibility and I have some spine issues, but it's also a huge drag. Pun intended.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:45 AM »
Well after thinking about it for a while and doing a lot of research I've decided to go for a cyclocross bike.  Went into my LBS and the cheapest one they had was 1650!  I think I've finally decided on a bike after talking to my buddy and looking at multiple sources for bikes (online/LBS/Craigslist).  It's a Diamondback bike off of Amazon and from what I can tell it's a pretty good value.  My friend said he would help me build/tune it if/when I get it so that shouldn't be an issue.  The bike I'm looking at is below.  Let me know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Steilacoom-Cylcocross-Black-Medium/dp/B00AZFIA20/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 06:19:57 AM »
You might find this thread relevant - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/bike-to-work-once-in-2014/

I would also recommend looking at Craigslist, I got a fantastic bike for pretty cheap of CL.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:48 AM »
Well after thinking about it for a while and doing a lot of research I've decided to go for a cyclocross bike.  Went into my LBS and the cheapest one they had was 1650!  I think I've finally decided on a bike after talking to my buddy and looking at multiple sources for bikes (online/LBS/Craigslist).  It's a Diamondback bike off of Amazon and from what I can tell it's a pretty good value.  My friend said he would help me build/tune it if/when I get it so that shouldn't be an issue.  The bike I'm looking at is below.  Let me know what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Steilacoom-Cylcocross-Black-Medium/dp/B00AZFIA20/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That is very much a race bike, not really a commuter IMHO.

No easy attachment points for front or rear fenders is a big turn off for me.  Trust me, that makes a big difference!  If the roads are even slightly wet your front tire will be kicking crap up all over your face and beautiful drive-train.  No place to attach a rack at the back . . . so this bike will not be easy to use to carry things around.  You could use a backpack, but that puts weight on your hands where you don't want it, and will heat up your back uncomfortably when it's hot.

Depending on the hills/wind on your commute you might want three chain-rings up front.  Wide gear ranges means that you can climb hills easily, and zip down them with good cadence.  The crankset on that bike is geared pretty narrow 46/36 . . . FWIW my touring bike is 50/39/30.

Low spoke count wheels front and back can be really bad news.  Lighter and flimsier.  When you break a spoke on a wheel with 36, you can usually just loosen up the brakes a bit, maybe true the wheel a bit, and ride home on it without any damage.  When you break a spoke on a wheel with 32 you will probably have to completely release the rear brake because the rim will bend too far out of round to avoid rubbing the brakes . . . but you can still ride home.  Breaking a spoke on a rim with 20 . . . you're calling for a pick-up or walking.

Aluminum frames are light . . . but they are much harsher riding than steel.  FWIW, the shock absorbing nature of steel is more awesome than saving an lb over a long commute.  The carbon front fork should absorb the vibrations somewhat though.

None of the stuff above might bother you, or you might want to check out something more like a touring bike for commuting.  Nashbar and Bikes Direct offer touring bikes with decent components at comparable prices to that cyclocross bike.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:57:26 AM by GuitarStv »

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
You make some good points GuitarStv.  I googled around an it looks like it does have attachment point for rear fender and rack but not for front fenders...  Also good points about the crankset and wheels... I may have to start looking again.  Now only if I wasn't on a budget! Lol

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »
Hmm I'm kinda liking the Nashbar TR1.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 11:19:29 AM »
That's the one that I use.  It's a great bike overall with only two niggling complaints from me after two year of use:

- The rear rack isn't great.  I mean, it'll work OK and is serviceable for hauling stuff around occasionally . . . but it's pretty flimsy when you go to load 40+ lbs on it.
- The rear wheel quick release would slip a bit when pedaling really hard when I first got it.  I sanded some of the paint off the spot where the quick release connects, and then replaced the quick release with a Shimano one and the problem has largely gone away.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
Have a chat around work and see if there are any bikers there - they might be able to give you some tips (even where to store it during the day).

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
As summer approaches I am looking for a summertime hobby to pick up that would also be a good way to get some exercise.  I'm pretty set on buying a bike and right now I'm leaning towards a cheaper road bike.  My commute to work is 21 miles one way so 42 miles round trip.  This consists of about 10-11 miles of fairly straight with small hills and one large hill and then approx. 10 miles of in town riding on sidewalks/bike paths.  Is this even feasible to do as a commute to work and back?  I wouldn't really want to show up to work sweating like crazy but I have no clue what a commute like this would be like on a bike and I would only be able to bike about 3-4 months out of the year.  The other thing that concerns me a little is running into moose or bears, but I could research how to handle those situations.  Also, my wife and I currently carpool to work and she would continue to drive to there would be no financial gain to this other than a good workout and better health. :)

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think I'd rather have the time with my wife than all that extra time on a bike, especially with the safety ramifications of cars, moose, and bears.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »
Personally, I think I'd rather have the time with my wife than all that extra time on a bike, especially with the safety ramifications of cars, moose, and bears.

Exercise is important too. I wouldn't do 42 miles every day, but a bike return trip would be a good way to decompress and exercise at the same time.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »

Exercise is important too. I wouldn't do 42 miles every day, but a bike return trip would be a good way to decompress and exercise at the same time.

That is true. However, I personally wouldn't find much fun in having 21 miles of forced riding 5 days a week (it's different when riding for fun or when running errands). I don't mean to discourage you, StudentStacher, if this is something you really want to do. But most folks who sustainably ride to work (as in for years on end, and not for a few weeks or months) tend to have commutes that are 5 miles or less one way. The farther you get from that, the less likely you are to do this (even in bike-friendly cities and countries).

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
The item you mentioned that concerns me with respect to time is the 10 miles of sidewalk/paths. Sidewalks will destroy your time because of the constant driveway/road intersections that require you to slow down or stop to be safe (and it's still the most likely way to have a bike accident). Greenways in the evening can give you a stroller, toddler, dog, teen on cellphone, chatting neighborhood wives walking two abreast every 300-500 feet. All of these require you to slow down, often to a near stop--again, a time killer. You will likely never achieve a manageable time for your distance until you can hit the roads. I use a greenway for the last 2.5 miles of my commute home, and it's always the slowest and perhaps most frustrating part of my ride as I weave kindly and slowly through the people. However, I know it's the lesser of two evils due to a major road and intersection that I would have to face otherwise, so I take it for what it is and move on. Your physical fitness, work prep, and bike are important, but don't underestimate the amount of time required.

I would do the car/hybrid approach 2-3 times each week to get familiar with specific parts of your route--what works, what doesn't. And I would ride my bike everywhere else I could that's closer--stores, restaurants, library...You'll get more comfortable with your body, your neighborhood streets, and just riding the roads around traffic. Eventually, you might be able to stick to roads for the most part, and since you've worked out your fitness and your work routine, your time might become manageable. And even then, 40 miles RT is not a distance most bike commuters are tackling daily, regardless of fitness and route. (Disclosure: My commute is 20-24 miles RT daily, and each month I commute to 1-2 weekend activities that are 30-60 miles RT. I would probably not be willing to commute 40 miles RT more than 2x per week because I wouldn't want to use up all of my energy/bike time commuting to work.)

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
That's the one that I use.  It's a great bike overall with only two niggling complaints from me after two year of use:

- The rear rack isn't great.  I mean, it'll work OK and is serviceable for hauling stuff around occasionally . . . but it's pretty flimsy when you go to load 40+ lbs on it.
- The rear wheel quick release would slip a bit when pedaling really hard when I first got it.  I sanded some of the paint off the spot where the quick release connects, and then replaced the quick release with a Shimano one and the problem has largely gone away.

Doesn't sound too bad overall....  I like the idea of a touring bike if I ever wanted to do some longer trips and maybe some biking/camping trips.

Also, my wife and I currently carpool to work and she would continue to drive to there would be no financial gain to this other than a good workout and better health. :)

What do you guys think?

Honestly I would only do the commute to/from work if I really wanted to.  I'd like to get into biking more and going to/from work may be an option so I'm keeping it open.  I am not in the position that I would have to force myself to ride to or from work, that could lead to me not enjoying it at all and would be the opposite of what I want.  Not that I don't like commuting with my wife ;)

The item you mentioned that concerns me with respect to time is the 10 miles of sidewalk/paths. Sidewalks will destroy your time because of the constant driveway/road intersections that require you to slow down or stop to be safe (and it's still the most likely way to have a bike accident).

I'll have to look into the commute a little more but there are bike trails all throughout the city I work in so I may be able to take a route that would be a little longer but very little sidewalk riding.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »
Well I just found out that the Mustang I'm trying to sell needs to have the transmission rebuilt.  Looks like it will cost around 1500 but I may just trying dropping the price well below book and see if I can move it as is....  But for now I'm thinking I will need to delay the bike purchase until I get the car resolved or sold. :/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:23 AM »
It'd be worth stalking Craigslist in the meantime. Maybe a great deal will pop up :)

I filter out sub-$100 bike ads and ads over $1,000 so I don't have to see garbage bikes or racers well beyond my current means.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 07:05:29 AM »
All good advice so far. I don't know if I can really add much, but I'll try.

21 miles is doable, but it's going to take a LOT of time, and you're going to have to work up to it. I know people who do 40+ miles a day, but man, it's not easy on top of a regular work day.

I agree with staying off sidewalks if at all possible. They are an accident waiting to happen. Do some research, it will almost always be faster and safer on the road. If you have access to trails, make extensive use of those.

If you're going to work up to 20+ miles, you're going to want a bike that's kind of fast, but more than that, it has to be comfortable. Race bikes aren't very comfortable, and they generally aren't set up for utility, either.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd get a Surly CrossCheck or Straggler. Fast, comfy, utilitarian. Full rack and fender mounts.

Mid-range, you can get a Bikes Direct road bike for about half retail, but you have to assemble and adjust it yourself. To me, well worth the money and effort. The Phantom Outlaw is a great bike for the money. It also has full rack and fender mounts.

Low-end, you can hit Craigslist for an old road bik, like a Panasonic, Peugeot, Trek, Giant, Fuji, etc. As long as it's in good working order, you can ride it.

Carry a spare tube (or two) and a small pump. Learn how to maintain the bike, and you'll be set.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
Well after looking for a while I ended up going with the Diamondback 2013 Steilacoom RCX.  I was going to was going to wait until the Mustang sold but I caved and ended up ordering it from Amazon when the bike in my size dropped down to 796.  About a week after i ordered mine the price went up to over 900 so I guess I timed it pretty well.  My buddy from work helped me put it together and I've been slowly ordering other bike gear as well.  I've only gotten to ride it a couple times because summer classes have been pretty crazy but I'm trying to work up to be able to do the 20+ mile one way trip from work to home.  Just installed fenders on it and took it for a short 4.5 mile ride and they are working great! It's poring outside right now.  This is the first bike I've had with drop downs and holy crap does it feel fast, and it has been a ton of fun the couple times I've been out.

Also, I spend a good amount of time on Google maps trying to plot out my ride home from work and I got it down to mostly bike paths and only 5 stop lights over 24 miles.  Looking forward to tackling that ride here soon hopefully!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:36:13 PM by StudentStacher »

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 05:46:25 AM »
Perfect! Looks like it will serve you well. Good job, and have fun!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 11:12:44 AM »
Had my wife drop me off at a coworkers this morning and we made the 9.7 mile ride into work in about 58 minutes.  What a gorgeous ride though, trails almost all the way going over creeks and around 2 lakes.  My right knee is giving me a little bit of trouble so I'm not sure if ill attempt the 24 mile ride home today but we will see!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Nice!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »
Knee pain often comes from a seat being a little too low, I'd play around with the saddle height a bit.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »
Knee pain often comes from a seat being a little too low, I'd play around with the saddle height a bit.

Funny, I was thinking the saddle may be a little too high.  At times it feels like I'm over extending my right knee.  Although, my legs are the same length and my left knee is doing fine so maybe it's just old HS injuries haunting me.... lol

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 06:06:14 AM »
It's possible that the seat is a bit too high as well.  Do you have to pivot your hips when pedaling?  Check the way the saddle is pointing too . . . I find that slight differences in where the nose of it points makes me favour one leg or the other.  Could also just be your body getting used to cycling.  :P

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
It's possible that the seat is a bit too high as well.  Do you have to pivot your hips when pedaling?  Check the way the saddle is pointing too . . . I find that slight differences in where the nose of it points makes me favour one leg or the other.  Could also just be your body getting used to cycling.  :P

I'm betting that's it lol.  I did about 12 miles yesterday and this morning my wife and I carpooled to her work and then I rode from her work to mine which was about 2.5 miles.  My knee felt fine but dang my lungs are hurting from that cold air!  Felt pretty good though and I should get about 5 more miles in today, :).  I was thinking about attempting the 25 mile ride home after work but after yesterdays ride and then today's short morning ride I don't think I'm anywhere near ready for that.  Maybe in another week or two lol

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
I think you made the right choice.  Don't make any death marches out of bicycling, you don't want it to stop being fun.  When I do go on long rides, like if I ride all the way home from Salem, I try to imagine I'm touring, not commuting.  I go slowly and enjoy the sights.  And I usually wear short liners for what, to me, are long rides.

Generally too high of a seat would cause pain, but not in the knees.  More higher up and centrally located, you know.  Bicycling fixed my knee pain.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »
So I biked the 1.5 miles to my Physical Therapy appointment at the ride was a blast and I wasn't nearly as soar as I was this morning.  Anyways, after my appointment I had about an hour before my wife got off work so I decided to start riding home and see how far I could make it.  The ride through the city was awesome going on bike paths that were along creeks and lakes.  I got to the highway path and figured I might as well give it a shot!  Turns out the highway path is on a slight uphill towards my house..... but that just slowed be down a bit.  I ended up finishing the 24 mile ride in just about 2 hours but I'm not sure of the exact time, but i finished it, Hell yeah!  Going to be feeling sore tomorrow!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:40:36 AM by StudentStacher »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 06:41:46 AM »
Nice job!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »
Awesome!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead.

I started working on getting back in shape a couple weeks ago and this morning I made the 22 mile ride to work.  I'm feeling pretty good and may even attempt to make the return trip today as well.

Wohoo! :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »
A 44 mile round trip is pretty bitchin'.  Ride on!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 11:51:38 PM »
Ended up riding home and I just about matched my time of the ride in. There was a higher elevation gain on the way back so it was a bit tougher and I also took a slightly different route so it was only 21 miles for the trip back. Overall it was a 43 mile round trip commute which took a little more than 3.5 hours.  Feels good!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 06:02:13 AM »
Do you have somewhere safe to leave the bike at work?  Then you could drive to work, bike home, bike to work, drive home.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »
The building I work at is gated off and fairly secure so I could leave it there locked up over night and it would be fine. My wife and I usually share a ride in together.  So even if I bike in I'll have car transportation back if I need it.