Author Topic: Real Leather Cowboy Belt?  (Read 7344 times)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
Real Leather Cowboy Belt?
« on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
Hey all!  I want to get my hands on a real, leather cowboy belt--one of the wide-ass ones maybe 1.5 - 2" in width.  One that you can change the buckle if you want and will last the rest of my life.   We don't have a cowboy store where I live so I'm looking for one online.

I've bought SO MANY belts over the years that say, "100% genuine leather" only to turn out to be layers of paper, cloth, and some shit that looks like gauze bandages.  They wear, tear, and completely fall apart in less than two years.

So, have any of you bought a sturdy belt from a reputable online dealer?

**Please, for the love of fuck, don't Google "real leather belt" and then post links!!  That's not helpful.  I can do that myself and have--many times.  It's virtually impossible to tell from photos until you have a belt in your hands.  Sometimes even then it's difficult to tell if it's real leather or Chinese junk destined for the dump.  I'm looking for people who have actually bought one and the name of the retailer. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:31:17 PM by Kaspian »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Real Leather Cowboy Belt?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:05 PM »
I have had great experiences with Cavender's, Sheppler's, and Allen's Boots. 
I won't give you links since you told me not to google, so you can google them yourself.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »
I have had great experiences with Cavender's, Sheppler's, and Allen's Boots. 
I won't give you links since you told me not to google, so you can google them yourself.

Thanks!!  I have no problem with somebody posting links if they know what they're talking about.  :)  It's more when people are trying to be helpful but who have no clue.

Me:  "Hey, thinking of going to Italy--have you ever been to Venice?"
Other person:  "No, but I'll Google it and tell you all about it from an ignorant perspective." 
Me:  "Don't bother!" 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
If you see something you like, I would pick Allen's Boots out of all those things. A phone call to one of the stores (it is a 'local chain' type thing) would probably get you some good help too.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
Go find a cowboy and ask where he gets his stuff.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
If you are interested in making it yourself, Tandy Leather company sells blanks for pretty cheap or you can get already tooled ones for a reasonable price as well.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 02:49:17 PM »
I went through this exercise about three years ago. I got fed up with cheap department store belts and tried to find an actual leather belt like I had grown up with. When I was 7, I got to build my own belt with a professional leatherworker friend of my dad's, use the punch tools, dye it, and all the rest of it, so I had a sense of what a quality belt ought to look and feel like.

So now that I have the qualification story out of the way, I'll post a link. I ordered from http://simpleleatherbelt.com/and have had that belt for three years. Quality, handmade belt, all made in the US. The buckles are replaceable so you can get your cowboy buckle on, and they gave me a half off deal for my next belt when the first one was delayed.

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
I don't know anything about interchangeable buckles or anything like that, but I do know that I have worn a 1.5" Fossil brand brown leather belt basically everyday 8 months out of the year (summer off since it doesn't jive with shorts) for the past 10 years or so that shows no signs of wearing down or breaking. It's been fully submerged in water numerous times, gets covered in sweat from biking, and honest to god, has been used as a leash to wrangle a very wild and large, loose dog over a distance of 2+ miles. I have no idea where it was made, but I'd assume not the USA given the price of what was probably $30-$40 a decade ago. I have no idea what their current quality is, but I know I would order another one in a heartbeat if this one ever does need replacing. Incredibly impressed from what is really just an average chain clothing store known for watches that I can't seem to keep from breaking.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
A little off the wall, but I'd contact Quillins and see if they would make you one.  The website is https://quillin.com/jshop/.  They use excellent quality U.S. leather, and make everything by hand in KY.  They don't have cowboy belts on their website, but they do custom work.  I own one of their halter plate belts and it's perfect.  Solid, supple leather, beautifully stitched.  I think I've had it 7 or 8 years and it's still in great shape.  I've also gotten halters, dog collars, and even a leather day planner cover.  These are the people who make halters for the big name racing Thoroughbreds.     

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »
Micron,
Cool site!  My favorite belt I bought in Rome where I watched the 3rd generation daughter build the belt in front of me... it's my goto belt when I want to feel dressy.  My least favorite I had high hopes for- a belt bought in a market in Equator- but it fell apart like the belt the OP talked about.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
Have you simply looked for a local leather worker?

I had a local shop that builds cowboy boots make me a kilt belt.

Might call around to local boot/boot repair shops, as they often do belts also.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 05:40:49 PM »
This shouldn't be very expensive at all.  I've been using a one sided 1.5 inch leather Levi's belt for more than twenty years.  I think it was 20$ when my mom bought it.  It's getting worn now, probably only has another 10 - 15 years left . . .

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 07:17:09 PM »
Am I the only one wondering why Batman wants to trade in his utility belt for a cowboy belt?

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
Am I the only one wondering why Batman wants to trade in his utility belt for a cowboy belt?

Weekends...

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
There are so few Real Cowboys nowadays that their hides are at a premium and leather from them is kind of out of reach.

And most all of what is available goes to Japan from what I hear...

john c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 10:32:09 PM »
I've been wearing a double layer horsehide belt from thebeltman.com for the last 10 or so years.  It's definitely a lifetime purchase. 

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 12:03:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies, all--very helpful and gives me a place to start. 

Have you simply looked for a local leather worker?

I wish--we definitely do not have one.  Which sounds crazy considering the number of hobbyists I see out there who've taken up the craft.

I went through this exercise about three years ago. I got fed up with cheap department store belts and tried to find an actual leather belt like I had grown up with.
Quality, handmade belt, all made in the US. The buckles are replaceable so you can get your cowboy buckle on, and they gave me a half off deal for my next belt when the first one was delayed.

Frustrating, right?  Simple Leather Belt Co., looks great.  But it's going to be hell for me to pick a color--I like them all. 

Nite Owl II.  ...Batman doesn't wear goggles.  :)
I made my own utility belt last year (pic below).  Sadly, cool as it looks, craft foam will not do for daily use.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:51 AM »
I got my belt from http://www.bucklesofestes.com/belts.htm Seems to be more selection in store; I got a great belt from a teenager who tooled them himself. Still, I recommend them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 05:50:09 AM »

Nite Owl II.  ...Batman doesn't wear goggles.  :)
I made my own utility belt last year (pic below).  Sadly, cool as it looks, craft foam will not do for daily use.

Damn... I should know better.  To be fair the avatar pictures are really small.  Always thought it was a bit "off" for the dark knight.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 09:05:25 AM »
What terms are you searching when you search for the belt?  If you search for "leather snap belt" that will take you to belts that you can change the buckle for.

Take a look at Etsy-there are a ton of great leather shops there.  When I'm searching for items on Etsy I limit my search to handmade items to weed out commercially produced junk.  (You can choose "handmade" on the left hand side of the page.)  Then take a look at which sellers have the most reviews and go with one of those. 

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
I've got several leather belts from various western stores that I wear every week for years and I'm very rough on my stuff.

Cavenders belts are pretty good. https://www.cavenders.com/western/accessories/western-belts/mens-fashion-western-belts

I'm guessing you don't have any local western stores.  The small non-chain ones are where I usually find the really good stuff.

Here's a smaller outfitter with some fancy stuff: http://t-n-o.co/collections/buckles-belts-cufflinks?page=1

I really like gator print belts.