Author Topic: Reading glasses - cheap vs expensive  (Read 3951 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Reading glasses - cheap vs expensive
« on: August 31, 2018, 04:46:10 AM »
I'm in my 40s and recently discovered that I could no longer read small print easily.  I bought myself some cheapo non-prescription reading glasses for 4 Euro that seem to do the trick.  I was wondering, though, is it worth getting my eyes checked properly and buying some expensive but nice proper prescription reading glasses?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Reading glasses - cheap vs expensive
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:33:31 AM »
Well, I think it's a good idea to have regular eye exams as you get older, because they check for glaucoma and cataracts, and you want to catch that stuff early.

However, if cheater are good enough for you to read, prescription glasses won't do anything different.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:36:40 AM »
I first got readers fie years ago, and went with prescription glasses because I needed to spend the remaining money in my flexible spending account.

When they got scratched and beat up, I went to Costco and tried theirs. I found that I couldn't tell the difference between my prescription readers and the Costco glasses. They are design optics by Foster Grant, and cost $6 a pair.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 06:00:02 AM »
I would go have an eye exam.  Once you get in your 40's your eyes change (that's when I had to go glasses full-time) and also around the time when eye problems can start to show up.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:32:50 AM »
Yeah, I guess I'm being cheap.  I'll go get my eyes checked.

Roger D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 06:36:57 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the Foster Grant non-prescription glasses, if they enable you to comfortably read the smaller print. The lenses are excellent.

I got my eyes tested, and they found a small amount of astigmatism, so my prescription glasses provide slightly better visual correction for my eyes. But I've never found any of the expensive frames to fit as well as the cheapo Foster Grants, so I'm back to them. If they get damaged, they're cheap enough to replace without worrying about it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 07:15:03 AM »
You only get one pair of eyes. An eye exam is relatively cheap, fast, and easy, and in addition to checking your eyes they will often see early warning signs of other problems.

Get your eyes checked. If the reading glasses are appropriate for the need, continue to use them. But check with the eye doctor if you got the right strength.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
I’m 47 and just got my first pair of readers this week. 9 weeks ago I had prk laser eye surgery so I’m still healing but seeing well.  I got the three pack of foster grants from Costco. They’re on sale right now, 13$ and available online.  I like them a lot, lots of different styles. I love being able to read well w readers sitting low on my face but able to look up past the glasses and see everything clearly. It’s better than my prescription eye glasses.

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
Yes, you should get your eyes checked for glaucoma, etc.  No question.

However, the optometrist will also try and sell you expensive glasses. 

As it sounds like your vision has been uncorrected until now then you're just going through presbyopia, even though you may technically have astigmatism or other conditions that would require "proper" reading glasses, if the over-the counter readers work, then absolutely use them.  You'll save a fortune.

I made it to 48 before succumbing.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 02:49:23 AM »
MJR - that's right I always had 20/20 vision until now so I think it's just presbyopia.

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 04:03:56 AM »
I like the website readers.com .  I ordered bifocal sunglasses with no prescription on top and my reader number on the bottom.  I use them for driving, running and biking. It's great to look down and actually be able to read messages on my cell.

If I recall correctly, they were about $15-20, with frequent sales or free shipping.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 04:24:12 AM »
As others have mentioned - yes you should get your eyes checked periodically.

But... there's an alternative to expensive Rx eyewear sold by your optometrist or designer frames sold at lens shops; Rx glasses do not have to cost very much.  In the US, Zenni optical offers inexpensive frames and lenses, many for ≤ $15USD.

Get the Rx your eyes need but don't pay the absurd prices charged elsewhere. Most eye doctors actually make the majority of their profit selling eyeglasses rather than on exams and procedures.  No wonder there's almost always a retail eyewear shop attached to each office.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!