Author Topic: Reader Case Study - Single Mom 3 Kids  (Read 17903 times)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Re: Reader Case Study - Single Mom 3 Kids
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »
You sound very much like my mother:  She was a SAHM for about a decade, and when my dad left we were in a mess.  Her job skills were rusty, and she wasn't able to get anything except a very basic service job -- like you, she went back to school, and then she was immediately raising us on an entry-level salary.  As the oldest child, much of the childcare, cooking, and cleaning fell to me.  Those weren't good years.

I think your plan to begin work, move into an RV, and homeschool while working is overly ambitious.  You only have 24 hours in a day, and you'll burn out sooner rather than later. 

I don't think the RV will be enough space for three children to play and for you to work.  Even for minimalists.  You'll need quiet and the ability to focus on your client's needs -- or you won't have clients for long.  It's unrealistic to think that young kids will sit quietly and do their schoolwork while you're working a full day. You can't be on the phone with a client while Sponge Bob plays in the background or the children are loud (or even just talking normally).

I think traditional school is your best bet.  Homeschooling, when done well, can be a great thing, but it's a full-time job and requires significant resources -- the biggest resource of all being time.  I don't see a person in your shoes being able to do it well.  You've been a SAHM for a while -- do you have experience in a professional job?  I wonder if you're underestimating the effort it requires, especially when you're new and are learning the ropes. 

Why is your situation with your parents about to end?  Would they allow you to stay with them perhaps another year, while you begin your career?  It seems to me that stability -- especially for special needs kids -- would be good in a time of transition (adjusting to you working, adjusting to the oldest going to school). 

mamabear0314

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
Thank you all for your comments, I keep meaning to come back and answer everyone but alas, I am very busy. I will get back when I can! In response to some questions. The reason I don't want my kids to go to my ex if I die is the sae reaos he only gets them twice a month for 9 hoours and no overnights/extended visits. He believs he can "discipline" (beat) autism out of the kids. We also have a "no physical punishment" clause in our divorce decree.

Numbers Man

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »
The flaw in your plan is to think that you can work from home. Have you actually spoken to companies that would pay you for working at home every day? I think a more senior type of employee might be allowed to work from home a couple of days a week but I highly doubt a fresh graduate would be given that opportunity.

HSLmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »
I have only one that's dev delay, I'm a single parent of three also. I had to shop around school districts in three different states, I moved to our current city and school has been great for her here.  But I pulled her out of two other schools because she was regressing big time and I could do better at home.

For childcare, having a nanny come has been about the same cost or less than daycare for all 3, with much higher quality. My oldest can't do daycare anyway because it overstimluates her too much and she acts out.