Author Topic: Reader Case Study - Moving to Bellevue WA (or very close)  (Read 4273 times)

pugetsound78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Reader Case Study - Moving to Bellevue WA (or very close)
« on: December 30, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
Short version - moving to Bellevue because my ex is getting remarried.  Kids will be going to school at Bennett Elementary in Bellevue and that is the only "for sure" in this situation.  We will be moving this summer.

I don't have a job yet and want to "start over" living more mustachey.  The help I am needing is what neighborhoods are mustache friendly?  I would like to be able to walk to things - doesn't look like there is anything near the school.

Any advice for a budget friendly, mustache friendly neighborhood knowing that I will need to get my kids to Bennett?  I don't even know where to start.  It is me and my two sons and possibly my significant other.  OR I may be going alone.  I currently pay about 1450 for rent for a 2/2 house.

Any help appreciated

Pancake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Reader Case Study - Moving to Bellevue WA (or very close)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:31:58 AM »
In Bellevue I would say crossroads is one of the more affordable areas. Obviously downtown is no good if you're trying to save money. Rents have really skyrocketed in the last year everywhere due to the influx of tech jobs and the quickly rising real estate market. Redmond used to be affordable, but no more if you want walkable.  There are more reasonably priced places that are not walkable but bikeable if you don't mind the rain. For a 2/2 apartment you're probably looking at 1800min unless it's not so nice. House, probably $2200 and up plus all the utilities associated with houses.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 02:14:51 AM »
Sorry to say it's all fairly expensive in and around Bellevue. Totem Lake/Juanita/Kingsgate area (north of Kirkland) is the nearest place with slightly more reasonable prices, but not by much and it's not right in Bellevue. If the distance from Bellevue is doable for you, Kingsgate has a grocery store that's walkable, and Totem Lake is getting a new shopping center soon.  Way down south in Renton is probably the nearest place where you could find something cheaper. I know some people who do Renton - Bellevue commute but that's very far and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can avoid rush hour or don't need to go to Bellevue every day. That is not mustachian.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Good luck.  The whole east side is insanely expensive.  Are you familiar with the area, or moving a decent distance to get here?

Don't do anything that involves commuting on 405.  You'll hate your life.  It's awful and getting worse.

And $1400/mo will possibly get you a tiny little apartment... maybe.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »
Bennet's in a fancy-pants area of Bellevue that is dangerously close to Microsoft.  So, closeby options will be expensive.  I'd look south to Factoria, south Bellevue, Eastgate and Issaquah.  The further from microsoft and any body of water the cheaper it'll be.

pugetsound78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:21:39 PM »
Oh man!  Kinda sucks. All I know is that the kids are going to Bennet and I'm trying not to commute anywhere.  I realize I am not specific but it's because all I know is this one thing. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »
I think you need to talk to your ex about this.

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »
Why is Bennett Elementary a given, leaving you to do the commute to school? Is it possible to negotiate with your ex to have the kids go to elementary at your local school (whatever neighborhood you pick, if you can find one with decent schools) and the ex does the commute? You may have very good reasons, I'm just questioning assumptions like a good Mustachian!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
I moved to North Seattle last April, and was unhappily shocked at the 100% increase in my rent. I've since learned that affordable apartments really do exist, they're just thinner on the ground due to the rise of the mega sized apartment complexes.

I humbly suggest using Craigslist exclusively while rental hunting. There are true deals to be found in every neighbourhood, you just have to search harder.

Also, be aware that the main highway in Bellvue is partially tolled. On the positive side, the metro system is awesome, particularly in Seattle proper. You could consider living further out from Bellevue, as long as there's a direct, no-trasfer route between you and your kids.

Good luck!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
The metro system on the east side is distinctly not awesome.