Author Topic: How to title/register my out-state car  (Read 2031 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 11
How to title/register my out-state car
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
We're a military stationed in Missouri. Our home of record is Florida. We just bought a car here in Missouri, and I'm trying to figure out how to take care of the necessary paperwork.

We wish to title & register the car in Florida. The dealership gave us a completed application for Missouri title, which ordinarily would be submitted. I'm not sure if they gave it to us because we are required to submit it or if it was just routine/habit.

I'm wondering if we first have to get the title in Missouri and then register it in Florida, because sales tax is collected in Missouri during the titling/registration process and Florida allows a sales tax exemption for military families. It seems unusual that we could get out of paying sales tax completely.

If necessary I'll go back to the dealership and try to figure it out, but they didn't seem completely sure about the process either.


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1065
Re: How to title/register my out-state car
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
Don't you have an on-base legal assistance office?  This has got to be common fodder for them compared to the complications of international vehicle issues for overseas assignments.

Sailor Sam

  • CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • *
  • Posts: 5594
  • Age: 43
  • Location: Steel Beach
  • Semper...something
Re: How to title/register my out-state car
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:42:50 PM »
Hey sd85, I think this link might help you out - It will take you to a packet of forms you will probably need. It looks like you can get the initial title in Florida. It also looks like you could avoid sales tax, which is pretty amazeballs if it turns out to be true. But it might just mean you pay MO tax, so choose whichever is cheaper.

You should also request some sort of "I've been inconvenienced" discount from the dealership. Registering a car in a different state should be firmly within their scope of service. I've ended up doing it a couple times, and never had a hitch.

Edit: fixed state abbreviation.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:54:00 PM by Sailor Sam »