Author Topic: Reactivate my Scottrade t-IRA or open elsewhere?  (Read 1470 times)

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Reactivate my Scottrade t-IRA or open elsewhere?
« on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:02 PM »
Basic question, I hope:  I opened a traditional IRA earlier this year with Scottrade, because that's where I have my taxable brokerage account, but I found out later there's no real benefit to keeping these accounts with the same company since they can't be linked in any way. Then I got busy, forgot to fund it, and it's been mothballed as inactive, requiring me to call them to reactivate.

Before I do that, I'm trying to determine if there is a better place to keep this account in the long run. Should I just default to Vanguard, since that's most of what I'll be buying? I'm pretty hazy on the relative merits of different places one can open a traditional IRA, and what the long-term impact of certain bonuses/offers are. Where would you open your traditional IRA in 2017?  Thanks for the input!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:42:38 PM by cl_noll »

Pylortes

• Stubble
Re: Reactivate my Scottrade t-IRA or open elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »
You can link Scottrade accounts.  You just have to fill out a form and send it to their office. Each account still keeps its own account #, but once linked you can sign into either account and there is a little thing you can click at the top of the account that quickly takes you to the screen for the other account.   Heads up though as Scottrade has been bought by TD Ameritrade and they will transition over after the first of the year.  But I think TD Ameritrade also lets you link accounts.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Reactivate my Scottrade t-IRA or open elsewhere?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »
Interesting, thanks for that tidbit.  When I talked to a Scottrade rep earlier this year, I came away with the impression that there was no going between accounts.