Author Topic: Re finding your flow after an overconsumption period.  (Read 1296 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Re finding your flow after an overconsumption period.
« on: August 04, 2019, 07:15:36 AM »
I just moved across the country and in the process have spent/consumed a good bit of $ in the process.
This is obviously always going to be the case with a big move but I feel out of balance/ flow after selling so much of my stuff for a loss/ giving it away and now buying all sorts of furniture ( used for the most part) and household essentials.
I guess you could consider this the financial equivalent of cheating on your diet and finding it hard to get back into the groove as it feels like each day I have to buy something new for my place and this has carried over into overspending at the grocery store and being losing my hustlers spirit of being on the other side of the coin. I am curious to hear how folks on here have refound their flow/ gotten back into their groove after a period like this.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Re: Re finding your flow after an overconsumption period.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
I've moved 21 times incl. six overseas moves so yeah, it is a universal truth that every move comes with extra expenses, some unforeseen.
So I know what you are talking about.
You are going through an adjustment period while you're bleeding money left and right, it is unsettling but temporary.

I always thought of every move as an opportunity to optimize and run my household even better than the last time.
How often do you get the chance to start over from scratch and buy only the things that make your heart sing?
If you are single, it is even easier you have no one to please but yourself and you can live as unconventional as you like.

Anyway, if I were to give you one piece of advice, do not rush this process, don't hustle to fill your space with the same things you had at your old place.
Re-evaluate in six months - don't try to do it all on the cheap, spend some time and money on the things you care about.

To answer your question about finding your flow. Just set a date, say Aug 10 or 15 and after that date, no new purchases are allowed, since you've now spent enough money and it is time to put on the brakes. Estimate a new budget based on your new circumstances and try to live within and preferably under those limits.
Don't try to apply this to the groceries yet, wait until the end of the month. Say Sep 1, becomes your new, consistent budget.

That's really all there is to it - you simply stop and you start your new "normal" which might be a little more or a little less expenses depending on your new location. Then after two months, you have a better idea where your new budget needs to be.
It just takes a little time, you'll be fine.

In a way I've always enjoyed the forced de-cluttering and I've always looked forward to what the new place had to offer. Sometimes it meant embracing an entirely new lifestyle.
Congrats on your move - have fun exploring, new place - new opportunities for everything:).