Author Topic: Raw organic nuts  (Read 9146 times)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
Raw organic nuts
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
Anyone have a good online source for raw organic nuts? Hopefully it would be cheaper than buying at the bins at Whole Foods.

Also, I have read that these nuts may not stay fresh very long. Any thoughts on that or ideas to make them last longer?

Most of the online sources I have found have large shipping costs that would cancel any cost savings, it seems. And if you are only buying for one or two people it may just be better to stick with buying it at Whole Foods.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Raw organic nuts
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:19:02 AM »
Just curious, Daisy--do you feel that there is a significant difference between organic nuts and non-organic nuts?  I like eating nuts as well, but I find myself wondering if it's "necessary" to buy organic ones.  Perhaps you have looked into it more than I have.  Thanks.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »
Just curious, Daisy--do you feel that there is a significant difference between organic nuts and non-organic nuts?  I like eating nuts as well, but I find myself wondering if it's "necessary" to buy organic ones.  Perhaps you have looked into it more than I have.  Thanks.

I try to eat organic when I can. I go to a holistic doctor and she recommended raw organic nuts.

I have not done any research on whether nuts in particular NEED to be eaten organic.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:16 AM »

All I can say is that the nuts I have bought from the Whole Foods bins taste much fresher than pre-packaged nuts. I've shared them with others and they agree. The pre-packaged nuts tend to taste stale to me now. The ultimate in nut-hedonic-adaptation...but I can't go back!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
Conventional nuts are grown with lots of pesticides. In addition, the USDA has mandated that "raw" almonds be treated to remove most of the bacteria from the surface, and there's a big difference between the conventional and organic methods for this. Organic raw almonds are exposed to high temperature steam, but conventional are placed in some weird chemical bath.

I realized recently that the prices of organic nuts ($10-11/lb in my area) are comparable to or exceed the costs of many basic organic/grass-fed meats. After I realized that I just gave up nuts, they're not worth buying.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »
Conventional nuts are grown with lots of pesticides. In addition, the USDA has mandated that "raw" almonds be treated to remove most of the bacteria from the surface, and there's a big difference between the conventional and organic methods for this. Organic raw almonds are exposed to high temperature steam, but conventional are placed in some weird chemical bath.

I realized recently that the prices of organic nuts ($10-11/lb in my area) are comparable to or exceed the costs of many basic organic/grass-fed meats. After I realized that I just gave up nuts, they're not worth buying.

Just to be clear; organic nuts are also grown with pesticides, just organic ones instead. Organic does not mean no pesticides (or "chemicals" as people often say. Usually people without science education). Since organic pesticides are less efficient they often use more of them as well.

I would like to know of a source of cheap nuts though. Either organic or corporate-hate-fueled poison nuts.
There is http://www.nuts.com/
But the $9/lb of almonds is the same or more than Target around here so I don't really see the savings (organic is $14/lb)

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
To preserve them longer, keep them in the fridge. A tightly sealed container is also a good idea. It's the oil that goes bad and creates the stale taste; a fridge will slow that down dramatically (which is why I also keep cooking oil in the fridge).

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »
We buy raw almonds directly from a farmer in CA for 5$ a lb with shipping. That's a big group order though, to get the cheapest price and to spread out shipping costs.  They definitely taste a million times better than the Costco ones. We keep them in the fridge to keep them fresh.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
Never had a problem with the taste of "corporate hate poison" almonds at Costco.

I keep them in the freezer. More room there and they're easy to eat even frozen.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
We buy raw almonds directly from a farmer in CA for 5$ a lb with shipping. That's a big group order though, to get the cheapest price and to spread out shipping costs.  They definitely taste a million times better than the Costco ones. We keep them in the fridge to keep them fresh.

Contact info? Order size?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »

I had thought of sharing an order with others as well. The price/lb goes down the more you order, and then you can share shipping costs. I sent an email around to some friends a while back to generate interest. Maybe I will try to revive that.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »

Good point. Maybe it's a supply vs. demand situation that's driving the prices up.

Well I love my nuts! There are a lot of healthy fats in nuts. I am trying to be as frugal about it as I can.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »
Boneless, skinless chicken breast is about 740 calories per pound, and what, like $7 per pound? That's about 105 calories per dollar.

A pound of almonds is about 2600 calories and $10.  That's 260 calories per dollar, or about 60% cheaper for the same calories.

Ground beef, 20% fat 80% lean, is about 1136 calories per pound. Say organic beef is also $7, then it's 162 calories per dollar. So almonds are 35% cheaper than beef.

Taken to the extreme, soybean oil has about 4000 calories per 16oz (not sure if fl oz of 1 lb. I will ignore the difference here). The commodity price of soybean oil (futures) is about 42 cents per pound, so about 9500 calories per dollar. It's almost 1/10 of the cost of organic boneless skinless chicken breast. Clearly, to minimize food cost you should buy soybean oil by the ton on the commodities market and eat nothing else. Your food spending will be $6.30 per month, or about $76 per year for a 2000 calorie per day diet. A metric ton of soybean oil will completely feed you for 14 years if you don't die of malnutrition first.  Incredibly it's cheaper than diesel fuel (retail) since it's production is subsidized, it isn't taxed as fuel, and you are buying in bulk.  This explains why soybean oil is so common in processed/industrial foods. Palm oil is even slightly cheaper and has the added benefit of destroying rainforests.

Apologies in advance if I made any math errors.

Back on topic, if you have a Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers near you, they seem to have good quality nuts. They keep them refrigerated, which helps keep them fresh.  I only buy the inorganic ones, though, because the organic ones are too expensive.  It also may be the most hippie store I've ever been to, but if you bike there you'll fit right in.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »
Well I love my nuts! There are a lot of healthy fats in nuts. I am trying to be as frugal about it as I can.
This depends on your school of thought for "healthy." Many "nuts" tend to be high in omega 6 fatty acids (except walnuts mainly). The standard American diet gets way too much omega 6 compared to omega 3, so there's a good chance this is fat that you could do without. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

True nuts are high in omega 3s, but peanuts, almonds, and cashews are not true nuts and have high omega 6 levels.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
This depends on your school of thought for "healthy." Many "nuts" tend to be high in omega 6 fatty acids (except walnuts mainly). The standard American diet gets way too much omega 6 compared to omega 3, so there's a good chance this is fat that you could do without. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

True nuts are high in omega 3s, but peanuts, almonds, and cashews are not true nuts and have high omega 6 levels.

I like to eat a variety of foods and don't focus on just one type of nut (or fruit, or vegetable, or bean, or meat). That way you don't overdose on one type of nutrient. Love me those pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, etc.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 05:12:20 AM »
If you really want organic nuts, plant some trees, or, shorter term, buy property with trees already there. Then you can control what goes into them. It doesn't actually take that much space, and it's surely a more worthwhile use of yard space than grass.

Keep nuts in the shell in the freezer and they'll last until next year's crop. Probably will last without the freezer; you'll just lose a few.

If you really don't have the space for trees, use the nuts in the shell in the freezer method, but by them on sale at the holidays.  Harder to get organic that way, though.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
Back on topic, if you have a Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers near you, they seem to have good quality nuts. They keep them refrigerated, which helps keep them fresh.  I only buy the inorganic ones, though, because the organic ones are too expensive.  It also may be the most hippie store I've ever been to, but if you bike there you'll fit right in.

I looked them up and they are not in Florida. Thanks though.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
TJ's usually has organic raw almonds for a decent price ($6/lb?) where I am anyway

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
TJ's usually has organic raw almonds for a decent price ($6/lb?) where I am anyway

Thanks! I will try them out. I assume you mean Trader Joe's. They opened one up recently in my city.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!