Author Topic: Range/oven?  (Read 2424 times)

frompa

• Bristles
Range/oven?
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
Hi all, do any of you have suggestions for a new gas range/oven?  We are heavy users, and I'm most interested in something that holds up to regular and high temp use.  Our last one has finally bitten the dust, after having to replace the thermostat MANY times.  I don't care about the "control it from you smartphone" nonsense; I'm more interested in sturdiness and reliability.   Thanks in advance!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Range/oven?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »
I am on my second kitchen aid electric range.   (because we moved and I loved it so much I bought another).  MIL also bought the same range and loves it.     Because of energy savings, it does not hold / respike the temperature when baking like the older ones do, (or superfancy ones).   It lets the temp fall 30'F before ramping back up.  That is the flaw with my current one that the earlier model did not have problems with.   It does have extra feature that I use, like the warming drawer for yogurt, dehydrate mode, and bread proof.

Started with my first KA range in 1999, current one is from 2009.   No repairs needed on any of them, control board works great.   I cook and bake a lot - nearly every day for family of 4.... 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »
I have a Maytag gas range from either the 70s or 80s and it's sturdy as hell.  Had to replace a flame sensor this year, but that was $25 and half an hour to repair.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm likely to stick with gas, but I will look into both the Kitchen Aid (good rap, and my mixer has been a reliable partner in cooking crime for years) and Maytag.  We are likely heading out later today to see what we can find.  (God, how I hate shopping for ANYthing....) 

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
Consider going vintage - usually cheaper, all mechanical so more reliable. I have a Chambers (Model D, so not quite as pretty as the others) that is indestructible. Its been going since the 1960s, no sign of wearing out yet.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
Generally it seems like the digital control panels are what fail in most appliances.

Can't help with gas, our house came with an electric range 11 years ago that looked old when we got it and is still going strong. Amana, no idea how old it is, basic coil burners and no digital controls except for clock/timer. Zero issues except a burner I accidentally melted a bunch of plastic onto (easily replaced at Home Depot).

Similarly, I have a cheap microwave with all mechanical controls and its run for 13 years. Only cost $30 when I got it, lol.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
We did what we could.  Looked for an older used one, or even a newer used one, unsuccessfully.  Went to our local appliance guys, who confirmed that all of the new models are crap, whether we pay $7,000 or $500.  So we went for the lower number.  It's ridiculous that I am considered an outlier because I use my oven several times a week -- uh, doh, isn't that what an oven is FOR??  This experience makes me think, "We are all suckas."   

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
We did what we could.  Looked for an older used one, or even a newer used one, unsuccessfully.  Went to our local appliance guys, who confirmed that all of the new models are crap, whether we pay $7,000 or $500.  So we went for the lower number.  It's ridiculous that I am considered an outlier because I use my oven several times a week -- uh, doh, isn't that what an oven is FOR??  This experience makes me think, "We are all suckas."   
It's sad that as I was reading this it took me a second to realize you meant an outlier due to *high* use, not *low* use.  My oven (household of two adults) is probably used on average about twice a day (same for the stove), lately more since my wonderful visiting sister-in-law insists on toasting her Poptarts once a day in there (we don't have a toaster).  Fuck.  Do they really expect people to not actually use their fancy kitchen appliances?