Author Topic: Quit the Gym!! Now what??  (Read 8233 times)

hotpinkvegan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Quit the Gym!! Now what??
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
Thanks to everyone's advice I cancelled my $50 a month gym membership today! Besides from the obvious of riding your bike everywhere (I unfortunately do not have a bike and since I'm in a debt emergency can't purchase one yet) does anyone have a great at home work out routine? At the gym I did almost exclusively group classes- a lot of yoga, pilates, zumba, etc. I still have about 15 pounds of weight to lose before I'm back to my pre-child weight. I would love to hear everyone's routines or from anyone that has successfully replaced the gym! Thanks!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Quit the Gym!! Now what??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:18 AM »
Lots of exercise routines on YouTube. I would surf there and try a few. 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:27:11 AM »
Walk everywhere.  Get to know your neighborhood.  Do several miles a day.  Pushing a stroller uses even more calories.

atlantalee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »
I quit my Crossfit gym after 3 years.  It was a hard transition, but I've been able to maintain my weight and stay strong mostly with bodyweight exercises.

Pushups, Situps, Squats, Lunges, Mountain-climbers, Bear crawls, Sprints, etc.  I also bought a set of 10 varying weight dumbbells on Craigslist.  I recommend checking out NerdFitness.com or MarksDailyApple.com for some workout ideas.  The most important thing is to do exercise intensely.  Pick three movements, do 25-20-15-10-5 reps of each as quickly as possible.  You'll be done in 20 minutes and completely beat.  The next day, do something different.  Different movements, different rep scheme.  You really don't need a gym.  You just need motivation.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »
Do you have a baby backpack?  Carrying your toddler around for walks will help kick off that weight. 

I like atlantalee's response too. 

Lots of streaming fitness/yoga on netflix, which I believe you have.

hotpinkvegan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
Yup, we have an ergo baby carrier that I love to carry the little guy around in! And I had no idea that they had fitness and yoga stuff on netflix- will definitely check it out!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:37:58 AM »
Since you are probably pretty busy watching the kid, I would also suggest starting to squeeze in quick exercises whenever you can.  Like, do 10 squats while you are waiting for something to heat up in the microwave.  Do a few pushups when he's busy playing on his own.  Etc.  This isn't necessarily a "real" workout but it does add up and is a good supplement.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »
Get into the habit of regularly overhead pressing your baby, and doing squats while holding your baby.  As your baby grows, the resistance increases.  By the time they're 20, you'll look like Arnold!  :P

GregK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
Speaking of Arnold, if you have 15 minutes to spare, there's a great body-weight circuit for beginners that Arnold put together on Fitocracy. He calls it the 1% challenge. Circuit training is great, because it combines strength training and cardio, burning a ton of calories and making you stronger.

I really recommend Fitocracy; it's a great way to stay motivated in general. Lots of people trying to do the same thing you're doing, whether it be losing weight, getting stronger, running a marathon, learning to do handstands, looking good naked, you name it haha. We even have a Mr. Money Mustache group (I think GuitarStv started it), where we track cycling miles. Definitely check it out!

http://ftcy.me/r2TYfA

(P.S. follow me -- I'm VeganEconomist!)

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
I recently started "You Are Your Own Gym", a body weight workout app that's on Android/Apple.  It's tougher than I thought it would be.  $2 total and then it's on your phone.

GregK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
I've seen lots of good things about YAYOG on Fito. There's a group there as well. Good place to ask questions about certain exercises (form checks, ideas of where to do pull-ups, etc.).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
Speaking of Arnold, if you have 15 minutes to spare, there's a great body-weight circuit for beginners that Arnold put together on Fitocracy. He calls it the 1% challenge. Circuit training is great, because it combines strength training and cardio, burning a ton of calories and making you stronger.

I really recommend Fitocracy; it's a great way to stay motivated in general. Lots of people trying to do the same thing you're doing, whether it be losing weight, getting stronger, running a marathon, learning to do handstands, looking good naked, you name it haha. We even have a Mr. Money Mustache group (I think GuitarStv started it), where we track cycling miles. Definitely check it out!

http://ftcy.me/r2TYfA

(P.S. follow me -- I'm VeganEconomist!)

I can't take credit for starting the MMM fito group.  I think it was mobilisinmobili.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
Also, see what the selection of exercise DVDs is like at your library.  Then maybe you can cancel your netflix and save a few more bucks :)

hotpinkvegan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
I LOVE that idea! Working out and making money! Thanks!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
Check out You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) online or the book at the library. My hubster does it. You need nothing but a place to work out and your own body.