Author Topic: Quit or Stay?! Help!!  (Read 2956 times)

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
Quit or Stay?! Help!!
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »
DH gave notice at his job 1 1/2 weeks ago. I work with him. Our boss is an asshole. He is bad with people and inconsistent. He will tell you something and they ask you why you did it that way and deny saying anything. DH is in charge of the employees. We can't seem to get good employees, they don't show up for work because they got arrested or wrecked their car. We are also shorthanded and run ragged. He took a week's vacation away from all his long term employees about a year ago. DH and I have both been there about 10 years.

He is making $21 an hour, was offered $23 to stay when he gave notice, and was offered $55,000 a year to stay today as he was packing the last of his stuff on his last day.

He was offered the new job when he ran into the VP by chance, who was one of his college instructors. The new job is only supervising one crew instead of the whole company, at a larger company for $22 an hour, tuition reimbursement and about $40 a week towards our Christian health share (in place of insurance). This is pretty much the top pay for this position at this company. He would have overtime, not sure how much, he is worried about that as he doesn't see lots of overtime as a good balance.

This is for one of the trades. We are out of debt except about $95,000 on the mortgage. We have no retirement and about $4000 in savings. He's mid thirties. I make about $20 an hour. I would not be able to find a new job as easily.

I am having a hard time being objective about this.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:23:52 PM by rulesofacquisition »

LAGuy

• Bristles
Re: Quit or Stay?! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »
Sounds like he left because it's a shitty job, not because of the pay. Shit job is shit, no amount of money will change that. Only question is how quickly can you get out yourself?

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:12:03 PM »
That's why I asked you guys, you have no skin in the game. Hope to get more replies.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
so he's being offered a 10k per year raise or almost 20% raise? really not clear what's going on, different crew - what does this mean? :

"The new job is only supervising one crew instead of the whole company, at a larger company for $22 an hour . . ."

So different company or same company or what? Different boss too? Edit: I'm confused because the offer came from the "VP".

Answers to these questions would help.

Do you personally want to stay or leave? This is unclear. What exactly was his job before and what would it be now? He supervised a "whole company"? but wouldn't anymore?

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »
He runs the entire installation dept at an HVAC company now, at new company would only be responsible for one crew. Different company, different boss.

Yes I want to leave. There were very hurtful comments made to my husband about me during a custody battle with my ex and I can't forget it, among many other issues.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »
Am I right in thinking that 22 bucks an hour works out to 50k a year working 50 weeks and 40 hours a week?

I assume he won't get OT at the salary job even if they promise it (they would be full of shit). Take the new job with less responsibility all the way for sure and you should be looking to work elsewhere as well.

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
22 an hour is 45,760 at 40 hours for 52 weeks so about 10 grand less. But the shit job comment is right. The new job is less responsibility, also offers bonuses and overtime, not sure how much overtime, he was told he could make up to about 70,000, but it's not a sure thing.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
Sorry for the shit math, I think the clincher is the shit boss. I've had somewhat ineffective bosses but none have ever left me hanging like that.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
You have no debt, you have a very reasonable mortgage, and you have the opportunity to limit your expenses. If he takes the new job, you'll have a joint income nearing $87,360 before any overtime. If he stays and keeps his shitty job working for a shitty boss, you'll earn another $10k. OR, he could earn that $10k in overtime working for a better company.

If I was unhappy, in a position of strength, with no debt and a small mortgage, I wouldn't hesitate to take the new job.

FUCK working for an asshole and crappy job. I would have left much earlier.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:11:56 AM »
Trades like this are in high demand.  The present employer is now offering more $$ because they don't want to lose him.
People don't change too much, so I wouldn't expect conditions to ever change for the better, long term, at present employer.
It's a competitive environment, so the money and benefits should be similar at most places.  I'd look for a place where he likes the people and the working environment so long as financial needs are met.

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »
Update! He decided not to go back to the old job. It sounds nuts when you say it out loud, not taking the highest possible amount of money (although I think things would have headed south after the raise), he was telling the story at the doctor's office this afternoon and he said the person's eyes bugged out.

We were "forced" into Mustachianism, but this has been one of the best things that has ever happened to us.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »
With a 95k mortgage and a 45k salary, you should be living the Mustachian high life. Recast the mortgage if necessary to lower your overhead, then YOU get the fuck outta there, too! As long as you're there, it will continue to be a ball and chain. Life's too damn short for that shit! Why eat it when you don't have to. FFS, that's the whole POINT of Mustachianism. Run for your life.