Author Topic: Quick survey: What else is weird about you, other than Mustachianism?  (Read 47064 times)

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
Re: Quick survey: What else is weird about you, other than Mustachianism?
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
I share many of the weirdness's listed.

The only thing I can think of that no-one else has mentioned is that I have no body piercings, not even my ears. Seems to be pretty weird for a she these days.

No piercings on me, either.  I keep thinking about getting my ears done, I like making my own jewelry and would love some dangly earrings, but just haven't gotten around to it.  I'm such a die-hard DIYer that it pains me to consider paying someone to do it for me, but family is prone to allergies of all types (mine are sunshine and vitamin E on my skin), so I'm just a bit leery.  My DD3 definitely has a nickel allergy, so she's never gotten a piercing, either.

Just realized my allergies are pretty weird.  The vitamin E one is annoying - it is put in nearly everything these days, so I have to read labels religiously: soap, shampoo, lotions, sunscreen (important for my sunshine allergy), dish detergent, lip balms, ...

Me neither! 

People have told me I'm weird for my entire life.  And I've never felt uncomfortable with it (apparently that's weird). 

I'm allergic to raw fruit.  Every. damn. one.  This showed up when I was 28 years old.

My mother had to teach me to teach me to fall when I was a child.  Apparently I was just face planting without putting my hands out.  Now... I LOVE falling.  I think it's fun.  I pole vaulted and did judo because the falling aspect was joyful for me. 

I've never broken a bone, but I've had four different stress fractures (all at the same time).

I only wash my hair once a week.  And I never brush/comb it (to my mother's horror, she couldn't tell until I told her, but now she can't let it go). 

I'm a female physicist. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »
I share many of the weirdness's listed.

The only thing I can think of that no-one else has mentioned is that I have no body piercings, not even my ears. Seems to be pretty weird for a she these days.

No piercings on me, either.  I keep thinking about getting my ears done, I like making my own jewelry and would love some dangly earrings, but just haven't gotten around to it.  I'm such a die-hard DIYer that it pains me to consider paying someone to do it for me, but family is prone to allergies of all types (mine are sunshine and vitamin E on my skin), so I'm just a bit leery.  My DD3 definitely has a nickel allergy, so she's never gotten a piercing, either.

Just realized my allergies are pretty weird.  The vitamin E one is annoying - it is put in nearly everything these days, so I have to read labels religiously: soap, shampoo, lotions, sunscreen (important for my sunshine allergy), dish detergent, lip balms, ...

Me neither! 

People have told me I'm weird for my entire life.  And I've never felt uncomfortable with it (apparently that's weird). 

I'm allergic to raw fruit.  Every. damn. one.  This showed up when I was 28 years old.

My mother had to teach me to teach me to fall when I was a child.  Apparently I was just face planting without putting my hands out.  Now... I LOVE falling.  I think it's fun.  I pole vaulted and did judo because the falling aspect was joyful for me. 

I've never broken a bone, but I've had four different stress fractures (all at the same time).

I only wash my hair once a week.  And I never brush/comb it (to my mother's horror, she couldn't tell until I told her, but now she can't let it go). 

I'm a female physicist.

I generally wash my hair once a week too (sometimes twice). I also don't mind being weird. Weird people are cool. Normal people are boring.

Nancy

« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
AllieVaulter, I don't brush my hair either. Curly hair does its thing.

I broke a few bones in my feet from all my years playing soccer, but I never knew. I found out years later. I remember thinking at the time that my feet were sore, but I kept playing. That was back in the heavy ball days.

When I watch movies or TV shows and the characters buy something expensive or go out to a multi-course dinner, I have caught myself feeling concerned about how much they are contributing to their retirement accounts. Because they are real and have retirement accounts...

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
  Now... I LOVE falling.  I think it's fun.  I pole vaulted and did judo because the falling aspect was joyful for me. 

I have a son that falls all the time.  People often think that he has a balance problem.  Actually it is quite the opposite, his balance is excellent, he simply loves to balance himself at the edge of falling.  He only falls a lot because he spends so much time on the edge.  He learned to ride a bike in just a few minutes when he was 4 (one of my proudest father moments to date).  Not sure if he loves the falling part, but he certainly doesn't mind it.  Quite good at it too, really knows how to roll with it, reminds me of a PLF:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_landing_fall

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
You know you have been thinking about retirement planning too much when:

When I watch movies or TV shows and the characters buy something expensive or go out to a multi-course dinner, I have caught myself feeling concerned about how much they are contributing to their retirement accounts. Because they are real and have retirement accounts...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
Echoing others here:
-Love bluegrass music.
-Introverted.
-Obsession with counting stuff (steps come to mind).
-About 20 other things that jumped off the page.

Here's one I haven't seen yet though:
In addition to counting I have some other OCD type tendencies (and honestly some ASD (autism) tendencies as well). Nothing that is actually a problem where it could be classified as a disorder, but I clearly align with these disorders in many ways.

Example: I keep an elaborate mapping system in my head. I almost never use GPS, printed maps, or driving directions unless I'm in, or am heading to a new city. I just always know where I am in relation to where I'm heading. My wife often calls me while she's driving for on the fly directions. It's quicker than google maps for her.

If you care to watch this awesome 5 minute video it might give you a little insight into what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAyhz2m-UuQ
I have ZERO artistic skills and could never accomplish what this guy does. I have just a small taste of his mapping recollection ability, but this is a glimpse into my head. On a scale of 1-100 if this guy is a 95, I'm maybe a 15.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
- I'm a woman and I still enjoy playing late 1990s/early 2000s civilisation-building-type computer games. (Pharaoh, Dungeon Keeper II, Age of Empires II...)

I think it's more weird that there's two of us.

Pharoah - right there on my Desktop. A game I've played through dozens of time. Now, I'll admit, that I generally like the updated graphics of every Civ game that comes down the pipe. But Pharoah... it's timeless.

SimCity 2000 and all the associated cheat codes. I once built a metropolis of evenly-created residential, industrial, and commercial zones in a perfectly square grid with all zones, bodies of water and everything else nearly symmetrical. The metropolis and all its glorious denizens denigrated into a crime-ridden, poverty-stricken wasteland of closed businesses and foreclosed homes. I guess that's what I get for cheating... at least I had gajillions of dollars bwahahahaha.

I've totally done this as well.  I realized at one point that you don't need the roads to connect in sim city, your sims can walk as far as three squares on the grid.  Therefore my cities had roads only every three squares.  It saves a lot on maintenance fees, but I'm not sure how the actual driving worked.  I assume they were doing some elaborate car sharing in my city.  The complainy little bastards must have been in shape though!

Blast you, your post makes me want to install SC2000 right now. Unfortunately, I don't have the floppy disks... and even if I did, I'd probably be missing "Disk 3 of 7" bahahahahahahaha

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
I'll echo a few things said here and add my own:

- I get my creative juices flowing by running a D&D group with some of my friends
- I enjoy learning and thinking about taxes more than most people probably should
- I've never broken a bone, but I have come close to tearing both my Achilles tendons
- I make chainmail stuff just for fun and because I think the patterns looks cool
- I'm doing this whole FIRE thing, but that isn't weird for this forum =p
- I watch other people play video games because I'm too cheap to buy them if they aren't on sale, and I really just want to know the story

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »
- I watch other people play video games because I'm too cheap to buy them if they aren't on sale, and I really just want to know the story

Yes!  I've always watched people play video games (my brother as a kid, my husband now).  I don't really care if I get to play or not, but I want to know the story. 

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »
I'm so devaSTATINGLY attractive, with perfect bone structure and Hollywood leading-man capabilities, it's weird I'm not conceited about it.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »
I'm so devaSTATINGLY attractive, with perfect bone structure and Hollywood leading-man capabilities, it's weird I'm not conceited about it.

You sound like Derek Zoolander!

Nancy

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »
You know you have been thinking about retirement planning too much when:

Too true!

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
I'm enjoying this thread.

Here are my takeaways from this thread that don't represent the mainstream:

1. Two-Eleven% of population are atheists. Percentage is much higher in this thread.
2. One-Two% of pop are vegan. Seems to be much higher on this thread too.

So forgetting other stuff (and being a guy, no menstrual cup) money/finances, food/animals/environment, religion/philosophy, many here are my brothers and sisters.

In real life the real percentages take over, so I usually keep quiet. Thank God, (you know what I mean) for this board.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2015, 06:33:30 PM »
Someone mentioned weird negative traits. A couple that spring to mind:

- I'm by far and away the least observant person I know. Even if I'm concentrating and trying to look at details in my surroundings (or have been told what to look out for), I still miss an awful lot of stuff.

- I have no noise tolerance. My preference is silence and big booming bass feels like someone is hitting my brain with a hammer.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »
I'm considered a bit weird by most folks.

I don't give a damn about college, high school or professional sports.  At all.  I find it ludicrous that grown men have their sense of self worth determined by how well a group of strangers play with their balls.

I have nothing against people actually participating in a sport.  I think that's very cool even if I have no interest in that particular sport.   My own sport is medieval armoured combat.

I make things.   I make bowls, pens and vases with a wood lathe.  I make silver jewelry.   And pottery. Sometimes I make medieval armour. 

I read.  A lot.  All kinds of topics.  I usually have a book with me at work and will often read on my lunch hour.  The fact that I read is apparently VERY strange.   There a quite a few people where I work and I often run into people from work I haven't met.  But they **ALL** know who I am because I carry a book.  How weird is that?

Seriously, 90% of the time when I meet someone in town who thinks they've seen me somewhere, but can't remember where, it can be resolved by saying, "I usually have a book at work..."

I don't care about fancy cars.   If it's paid for and it runs well and economically, it's a great car!  Both our cars were totalled by hail damage about 4 years ago.   We bought them back from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar and still drive them.   The day the hail hit I was taking a class.  Everyone else was upset about their car being dented.  I was dancing around and singing "Money from Heaven!  Money from Heaven!"   My fellow classmates thought I was weird.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »
I'm a female physicist.

Right. On.

- I make chainmail stuff just for fun and because I think the patterns looks cool

When I first read that, I thought you wrote chain letters as a hobby. (D'oh.) Both sound like fun, but in very different ways.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2015, 01:49:34 AM »
- I have no noise tolerance. My preference is silence and big booming bass feels like someone is hitting my brain with a hammer.

I hear EVERYTHING, from the creaking of bookshelves to the rustling of leaves. It can be exhausting trying to edit out the bits I don't need to hear. It creeps people out sometimes that I can hear them coming from so far away. My dream is total silence.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »

I hear EVERYTHING, from the creaking of bookshelves to the rustling of leaves. It can be exhausting trying to edit out the bits I don't need to hear. It creeps people out sometimes that I can hear them coming from so far away. My dream is total silence.

+1

I often wear earplugs for this, it helps me think and be inside my own head with my thoughts. My dad is losing his hearing and I told him he was lucky (not in an insulting way, I explained myself).

One thing that's weird about me is how little regard I have for social status and authority when evaluating ideas. If an idea makes no sense to me I won't accept it, regardless of who it comes from. (Hence my very early break with organized religion.) Along the same lines, I have an odd tendency to have no opinion on subjects about which I have little information (I don't "theorize ahead of the facts"). Most people seem to think one must have opinions about everything.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2015, 04:18:36 AM »

+1

I often wear earplugs for this, it helps me think and be inside my own head with my thoughts. My dad is losing his hearing and I told him he was lucky (not in an insulting way, I explained myself).

I have tried earplugs but I found that even more stressful because I *know* there are noises out there even if I can't hear them so my ears are constantly straining to catch them, just waiting for the one noise that seeps through.

One of my vague fantasies is to live in a really isolated house in the woods or on a prairie so it's nothin but me and lots of quiet space around me, but then you still have birds chirping and trees creaking and so on. The sound of the sea would be OK, though, so maybe I should just set up in a lighthouse with a shotgun to keep the gulls away!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2015, 09:22:16 AM »

One of my vague fantasies is to live in a really isolated house in the woods or on a prairie so it's nothin but me and lots of quiet space around me, but then you still have birds chirping and trees creaking and so on. The sound of the sea would be OK, though, so maybe I should just set up in a lighthouse with a shotgun to keep the gulls away!

I live in the woods.  At night, the insect, tree frog and flying squirrel noises are almost deafening.  (But I LOVE the sound of it and would not trade it!)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
- I don't have many friends as I find when I get to know people I usually don't like them.
 - I am left wing in a decidedly right wing area of the country.
 - I don't colour my hair, have been natural grey for many years. I also don't wear makeup, paint my nails or any of that other girly stuff. I do like to get pedicures in the summer for some reason I am not really sure of.
 - I don't drink. Drank a lot in my youth, but ever since having kids (30 yrs ago) I have lost my taste for it.
 - I was a widow at the age of 53.
 - Introvert/homebody. Would rather stay home and putter around the house than go out most of the time.
 - Social situations give me anxiety. Hate parties, etc. especially where I don't know people. This has gotten worse since losing my husband. Currently working on my excuse for not attending this year's office Christmas party.
 - Agnostic, I guess. Never grew up with any kind of religion, so it never even came up. Celebrate Christmas, but it is just a time of celebrating love and family, not a religious celebration. Last few years I have begun to question this, and the commerciality of it.
 - I have a terrible sense of direction and always park by the buggy barn when I go shopping so I can find my car.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
So, just chiming in because there are some interesting trends here.  I am:
Vegan (vegetarian for 28 years before becoming vegan); Buddhist, drive a 1999 car; same employer for 22 years; Libertarian; no kids; introvert/homebody

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »
I do my best to embrace my weirdness completely. Which means, I have many friends who do the same weird things I do and, therefore, those things no longer seem weird.

I'm a beekeeper and this has definitely become less weird over the past few years because it's become borderline trendy to keep bees, especially in urban areas.

I'm an ultrarunner and have been for more than a decade. The weirder part is probably the fact that I refuse to train with other people.

I'm a martial artist. Again, I don't think this is weird because I spend a huge amount of time with other martial artists.

But here is hands-down the weirdest thing about me: I survived a skydiving accident when I was 20 years old.

Nancy

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »

But here is hands-down the weirdest thing about me: I survived a skydiving accident when I was 20 years old.

What happened? I'm on tenterhooks.

S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
I use Freedompop. I find it interesting that MMM only mentioned it in one article, and it was more of a passing acknowledgement (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/05/30/republic-wireless-19-for-an-unlimited-everything-smartphone-plan/). Also, the link seems to point to a post that no longer exists but can be retrieved from the Wayback Machine (https://web.archive.org/web/20130314101634/http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/03/12/a-side-dish-of-free-data-for-your-cheap-iphone-plan/). Not sure why it was deleted since it's a perfectly fine article and I'd recommend Freedompop to people who don't depend on their phones.

Catomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
I ate my placenta (in pill form). I breastfed both f1s until they were over two years old. Despite the stereotypes that probably conveys, I am pro-vax.

I play pencil and paper-type RPGs when I get the chance. These days it's mostly via computer so the friends can skype in. I've only DMed once, though; I wrote a short campaign as a surprise for Mr. Catomi's 40th birthday. Dressed the kids up as kobolds and had them attack him as he got home from work, too.

Though it's apparently not unusual for this board, I am agnostic in a part of the country where that is baffling to some people.

I've been cutting my hair for the last year, thanks to this board. I pretty much never wear makeup and I have never dyed my hair, despite the grey.

I'm sure I save money by not styling my hair/wearing makeup, and I know for certain that breastfeeding saved us a chunk of change (among other things, the first f1 would have needed very expensive formula if we'd gone that route). The placenta cost us money and I'm not sure if it helped, or if round two being easier was placebo/me just knowing what I was doing the second time, but I would do that again.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
AllieVaulter, I don't brush my hair either. Curly hair does its thing.

My boys all have curly hair, to varying degrees (the girls did not get this gene).  DS4 never combs his hair, either.  It hangs in ringlets nearly to his shoulders, but they are pencil diameter ringlets, so it is much longer.  He's pretty easy to pick out in a XC race with his mop bouncing.  DS5's hair usually isn't quite as curly, but he's had swim in PE this month and it has really brought out the long ringlets.

DS2 has the loosest curls, but he goes thru spurts of letting it grow long, and cutting it (for job interviews most recently).  One of his art projects for school was to do an unusual self-portrait.  His was a carving of his wavy mane, as if he tipped his head down to look at his shoes.  He also plays quidditch -started in college, but is now on a city team.  He's competed in several World Cups.  Guess we've encouraged the kids to embrace weird, too.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2015, 02:55:50 AM »
Dressed the kids up as kobolds and had them attack him as he got home from work, too.

AMAZING.

---

I also don't drink alcohol. Not for any special reason (like religion or health) - I just don't. This freaks people out when I first meet them, but they quickly realise it doesn't mean I'm judging them.

I am also very slowly going grey. Started three years ago when I was about 22. I have dark brown hair and a wee sprinkling of bright white ones. I'm just letting it happen.

People also find it weird that I was a moral vegetarian for seven years and am now an omnivore. I realised that it was not te killing and eating that I objected to, it was the cruelty. And that if I still ate cheese and eggs that came from unhappy animals that was kind of pointless. I still don't eat much meat and I still do buy supermarket animal products but I'm slowly chipping away at it until I can eat only things from trusted sources or things I raised myself (which will not be an option for some years to come). I don't regret those seven years, though - I have a healthier and more varied diet (and a love of beans!) than I did before that.

I keep reading things on this thread and thinking "Me too! Is that really weird?" I guess when you live with something every day you get used to it and forget it's not like that for everyone.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
Love hobbies but, am ADHD I think.  I keep starting new ones without finishing old ones.
Am into star gazing and telescope making.  Also, started a cedar strip kayak build.  It's half done in the basement.
Started a whole bunch of plastic models....
love outdoors, hiking, puttering in the yard.

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2015, 12:08:56 PM »

What happened? I'm on tenterhooks.

Wind drift indicator screw up. Instead of making it to the landing area, I ended up over a school bus parking lot. I hit the top of one school bus and then went head first into the side of a second one at about 27 mph. Amazingly, I walked away (more or less) unscathed.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »
My most recent electronics upgrade purchase, about 3 months ago, was a new phono cartridge for my turntable. Not nearly as wierd as riding a unicycle while skydiving over schoolbuses as a warmup to a training class to teach atheism to chimpansees, but it's all I got.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2015, 06:18:35 PM »
Also, politically, I am pro-spork.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »
There's an anti-spork lobby??

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »

Haha we have a user named Spork on this forum don't we?

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
hobby farm/suburban homesteader wannabe. we keep our own poultry for eggs and our girls produce enough for our siblings and parents as well. our friends think our lifestyle is quirky and semi ridiculous, and affectionately refer to our home as a farm.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:34:17 AM by little_brown_dog »

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »

How do we have so many unicyclists on the forum???

Many people are too frugal to buy that second wheel.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard variants of this joke.

Second only to when I'm riding a tandem bicycle ...

"She's not pedaling!  (har, har)

On one century ride we had no fewer than 10 cyclists use that lame joke, even when we were passing them on the hills!

And every one of them thought it was funny probably.  Reminds me of that bit (by David Sedaris, I think) about how we all want to think we are funny and unique individuals with a fantastic sense of humor.  When a store had a basket full of unusual, pretty glass eyes for sale, and the eyes had little metal spikes sticking out of the back so that you can hang them on something,  the store had to put up a big sign that reads DO NOT HOLD THIS UP TO YOUR EYE!  And the author was quite shocked to realize that so many people had to have done exactly that in order for this sign to be created, and the most disturbing thing of all was that his own very first impulse upon seeing the eye was to grab it and hold it up to his eye as a joke.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »

I am decidedly pro-spork as well.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2015, 11:08:10 AM »
My most recent electronics upgrade purchase, about 3 months ago, was a new phono cartridge for my turntable. Not nearly as wierd as riding a unicycle while skydiving over schoolbuses as a warmup to a training class to teach atheism to chimpansees, but it's all I got.

Same here!  Well actually, I only replaced the needle since my cartridge was fine and Ortofon is pretty good with interchangeability (if that's a word)  The day after Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown Xmas soundtrack is going on the turntable.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
I don't have many friends as I find when I get to know people I usually don't like them.

Preach!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
Threads where you ask people to talk about themselves always get a big response.  I bet most people who post here won't even read the previous posts, in their hurry to talk rather than listen.

tl/dr.   
I don't really like to be around other people.  Maybe it's some kind of social anxiety, and maybe I just don't like people.  But I prefer being alone for the vast majority of my time. 
oh, and I have misophonia, big time.  it sucks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!