Author Topic: Quick survey: What else is weird about you, other than Mustachianism?  (Read 47063 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Quick survey: What else is weird about you, other than Mustachianism?
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »
100%, feel free to keep going with the recommendations!

Hot dog!

I lean more post-apocalyptic world-building, instead of strictly dystopian. Here's my favourites:
  • The Stand by Stephen King
  • World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler
  • Alas Babylon by Pat Frank & David Brin
  • Earth Abides by George R. Steward
  • Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr
  • The Postman by David Brin (yes, the movie was awful, but the book was great)
  • The Tripod Trillogy by John Christopher (YA fiction, but still awesome)
  • I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
  • One Second After by William R. Forstchen
  • Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien
  • Island in a Sea of Time by S.M. Stirling

I freely admit that I love me some zombie action, but these were mostly written prior to the whole zombie craze so they possess actual plots. Except S.M. Stirling books, which is mostly about the United States Coast Guard Barque Eagle. 

Got anything for me!?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:37:25 PM by Sailor Sam »

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
- I'm a woman and I still enjoy playing late 1990s/early 2000s civilisation-building-type computer games. (Pharaoh, Dungeon Keeper II, Age of Empires II...)

I think it's more weird that there's two of us.

Pharoah - right there on my Desktop. A game I've played through dozens of times. Now, I'll admit, that I generally like the updated graphics of every Civ game that comes down the pipe. But Pharoah... it's timeless.

Wow! I'm really surprised and happy to find someone else who appreciates the glory of simple grid-based graphics and cunning city mechanics. I actually only finished Pharaoh about two months ago! The copy I had way back when had a glitch that deleted my family history every so often, so I've played the first half dozens of times. Re-bought it during a dry spell for work this summer and played it through to the end. Did DK2 earlier this year. I'm rationing myself, though, so no more until at least the New Year. Next up is probably Rollercoaster Tycoon!

Any of you play the Civilization games? I still play the old Civ III from the early 2000's, love going back and dominating on Chieftain difficulty! X-D

Also, from really ancient times...Castles II: Siege and Conquest. I'm reasonably sure floppy disks were still popular when that came out!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »
100%, feel free to keep going with the recommendations!

Hot dog!

I lean more post-apocalyptic world-building, instead of strictly dystopian. Here's my favourites:
  • The Stand by Stephen King
  • World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler
  • Alas Babylon by Pat Frank & David Brin
  • Earth Abides by George R. Steward
  • Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr
  • The Postman by David Brin (yes, the movie was awful, but the book was great)
  • The Tripod Trillogy by John Christopher (YA fiction, but still awesome)
  • I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
  • One Second After by William R. Forstchen
  • Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien
  • Island in a Sea of Time by S.M. Stirling

I freely admit that I love me some zombie action, but these were mostly written prior to the whole zombie craze so they possess actual plots. Except S.M. Stirling books, which is mostly about the United States Coast Guard Barque Eagle. 

Got anything for me!?

Not gonna lie, you read heavier shit than me. I honestly stick to a lot of YA books.

I'll have to give it some thought and get back to you!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
- My boss to the 4th power is the President of the United States;
Do you mean four levels up (which would make you some kind of Admiral?!), or n4 where n is some number presumably between 1 (which would mean you were the President yourself) and 2 (which would make you a... pre-cadet, I guess?) I'm not sure if the U.S. Navy, including the President, has 16 different ranks in the same hierarchy.

Whoops, almost missed your post. I was distracted by all the nerd-gasming with (for? over?) Bracken_Joy's reading habits. I meant my boss 4 levels up. Definitely not an Admiral and definitely not in the Navy, though. Just a lowly Lieutenant, of the flagish type.

moneyandmillennials

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money and Millennials: An Illustrated Advice Book
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2015, 11:33:16 PM »
Threads where you ask people to talk about themselves always get a big response.  I bet most people who post here won't even read the previous posts, in their hurry to talk rather than listen.

so true! I was in a rush to post something until I saw your post and now I'm trying to  read everyone's! I think a poll would be good.

freezerburn

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2015, 11:43:47 PM »
Interesting thread! I'm surprised at how hard it is for me to answer... I keep thinking of trying to define "things about me that I think are weird" vs. "things about me that are weird to most other people."

My love of weightlifting would fall in both categories--anyone who knows me knows I'm pretty lazy but last year I discovered I absolutely love lifting weights, and deadlifts in particular. I think this is weird for me, and other people are surprised when I tell them.

In the category of "weird to most others," I dropped out of high school to go to college early. (I didn't get the best grades or have big problems socially, I was just very motivated towards something different.) Now I really can't imagine my life without this defining circumstance, so it's hard to think of it as something weird, but I do recognize it's unusual.

Oh and I also don't have a TV :)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2015, 03:01:31 AM »
I've just read the new posts and have been thinking more.

Despite now having a smartphone and serious internet addiction, I'm more of a Luddite at heart. I got my first (hand me down) microwave when I was in my late twenties in the late nineties. I got my first VCR when I was thirty, in the early 2000's and only because I was bedridden and bored. My tv at the time was an ancient push button TV (no remote control) which was my first TV as an adult. I grew up without TV (not my choice) which even in the 70s and 80s made me a weird outlier. I wasn't allowed to participate in pop culture and rarely got to see movies. So I have huge gaps in cultural knowledge. My knowledge of my culture is similar to one of my acquaintances who grew up in a very poor developing  country and who emigrated to my city less than 10 years ago.

Because of this, I had a serious reading habit (now destroyed by the magic of the Internet but I don't care). I read much faster than anyone I know and used to read a novel per day. Yes, per day.  And at the same time I'd have a non fiction book on the go on my topic du jour which usually took me a week to get through while I had the novel per day going. Reading fast is a useful work skill. I can give comments on a 100 page report in about 3 hours.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2015, 03:37:40 AM »
I share many of the weirdness's listed.

The only thing I can think of that no-one else has mentioned is that I have no body piercings, not even my ears. Seems to be pretty weird for a she these days.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2015, 04:33:35 AM »

A few different things. Ballet, particularly when I tried to learn Pointe, accounted for quite a few of those. As did other forms of dance and gymnastics. Umm, soccer for 1, outside of my foot clipped a goal post. No wait, for 2, I also had a crushing break on one when a goalpost we were moving was dropped on my foot. Horseback riding and being a flippin idiot as a kid I got dragged by a stirrup and broke some of my foot bones and the center toes (hardest to get at usually)! 1 when I was learning to spar in tae known do. The only recent on is that I've broken one trail running in AZ when I hit a rock. (I know this adds to more than 10, I've broken a lot of them twice... worse on my R foot than L, and my poor pinky toes...)

Thanks for replying - wow, kudos to you! Remind me never to pick a fight with you ;)

Haha! This is the second time this month a forum member has alluded to not wanting to fight me. I swear I'm not scary! And trust me, there is no graceful dignity where I stoically face down the pain of a broken bone. No, there is a lot of whimpering, rolling around, clutching at body parts, and general carrying-on. I can't imagine what I would do if I broke a long bone.

Except for the AZ trail running toe break. I actually felt pretty bad-ass on that one. I was in the middle of a desert, still like 3 miles from the car. So after a small amount of whimpering and swearing, I just kept running. Didn't even check my foot- I didn't want to risk unlacing the shoe.

I'm also a goddamn idiot, and didn't want to pass up a chance to hike Zion three days later, so I hiked it with a broken toe. Not my smartest move. It healed a bit... crooked. I can't wear high heels at all anymore =\
:P
I'm pretty sure all you've done is confirm that you are a badass.

New MMM blog-post: "finding badassity in injuries that are certainly Your Own Goddamn Fault"

I'm laughing at all this.

because I'm sitting here with the little toe on my right foot broken. for the 4th time. Wall in the bathroom jumped out at me as I was innocently walking by it. think I may have fractured a couple of other bones as well. my response - put on your socks and shoes quickly (before it swells up) and get to work.

Nancy

« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2015, 04:35:29 AM »
Not gonna lie, you read heavier shit than me. I honestly stick to a lot of YA books.

YA dystopian fiction:
-Birthmarked series by Caragh O'Brien
-Dust Lands series by Moira Young
-Razorland series by Ann Aguirre
-An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Nancy

« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2015, 05:13:36 AM »
Sorry, OP. I forgot to answer. It's interesting to see how similar a lot of us are even though we might feel like aliens in our communities. Goes to show there is a group for most anyone.

Things that haven't been mentioned:
Year round biker
Didn't have a wedding or a reception or a registry or a dress or anything else associated with weddings. Told people via email after we got hitched.
All but two pieces of furniture in my tiny apartment were acquired used or free
I don't like gossip or conversation focused on criticizing other people.
I don't compete with other people (just myself).
I'm incredibly happy.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »
I don't think a lot of these things seem weird.:P

I'm vegan, childfree, non-religious and that isn't that weird living in London but maybe in the US that would be more unusual. We don't have a car, a microwave or a dishwasher but we do have lots of rescue animals.:)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
I know how to ride a unicycle
I am also an accomplished unicyclist.

Another unicyclist here, if it's not obvious from my avatar.  Though not as accomplished as Sol, I've gotten some local notoriety for showing up at organized bike rides with my 36" Coker (MS-150, Six Gap Century, etc.)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
In the category of "weird to most others," I dropped out of high school to go to college early.

Hold up, I did this too! I dropped out at the end of 10th grade and don't have a high school diploma or GED, but I do have a master's degree. (Any chance you went to Simon's Rock?)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
New MMM blog-post: "finding badassity in injuries that are certainly Your Own Goddamn Fault"

because I'm sitting here with the little toe on my right foot broken. for the 4th time. Wall in the bathroom jumped out at me as I was innocently walking by it. think I may have fractured a couple of other bones as well. my response - put on your socks and shoes quickly (before it swells up) and get to work.

It's not just me!!! I always have one of those little metal bars around to tape my toes to. I'm sorry for your toe woes. Do you at least have some really colorful bruising to make it worthwhile? =P

YA dystopian fiction:
-Birthmarked series by Caragh O'Brien
-Dust Lands series by Moira Young
-Razorland series by Ann Aguirre
-An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Thank you! Adding them to my library "to be read" section. Gosh I have such a backlog right now.

How do we have so many unicyclists on the forum???

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »

It's not just me!!! I always have one of those little metal bars around to tape my toes to. I'm sorry for your toe woes. Do you at least have some really colorful bruising to make it worthwhile? =P

I've been though the purple and black. now just the red and ouch. fun isn't it

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »

I've been though the purple and black. now just the red and ouch. fun isn't it

My last break was AWESOME looking. I had a purple stripe running up from the toe, which then radiated into green and yellow stripes across my foot.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:58 AM »

Many people are too frugal to buy that second wheel.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »

I'll admit, I laughed. Hard enough my DH was a little concerned I was choking on my tea.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard variants of this joke.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
I can only snap my fingers if I reinforce my middle finger by wrapping my index finger around it.  My partner of 16 years just found this out about me while our daughters (4 & 7) were attempting to snap.  And he said (playfully) that I was weird.

I don't know anyone else that does this, but it's definitely something that is very noticeable.

There are other "weird" things about me that are maybe better classified as non-mainstream, but IDK that it means they are weird.  Particularly with child rearing.  I nursed both of my kids until their 3rd birthday.  Since they are 2 years apart, this means I also tandem nursed for a while.  I also practiced an alternative to diapers that involved holding my newborns over tiny potties and making cue noises so they'd basically pee and poo on command.  But really, a lot of people do these things.  Just not most of them.

I don't drink or eat meat but I love brewpups and steakhouses.

And I'm kind of unusually small.  I mean, there are plenty of adults out there that are under 5 feet and 100 pounds (I'm 4'10.5" and hover in the high 90s.)  Just thinking of it because I was at the Y with my kids swimming in their "kid" pool, in which the deep end is 5 feet.  My almost independent swimmer 4 year old, but not quite, was worrying me by wanting to swim in the middle of the deep end.  "You have to stay near a wall!  Mommy can't stand here to help you if you need someone to grab!  Stay near the wall, please!"  I'm like, treading water and out of breath and there's another mom right next to me, standing up with the water comfortably at her collarbone playing with her kid.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard variants of this joke.

Second only to when I'm riding a tandem bicycle ...

"She's not pedaling!  (har, har)

On one century ride we had no fewer than 10 cyclists use that lame joke, even when we were passing them on the hills!

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
1) I don't put milk in my cereal... I love milk but it feels more satisfying drinking in on the side.  Until my late teens, I figured it was only somewhat uncommon.  I have never actually met anyone else who eats it that way though (not that it's my go to ice breaker or anything)

2) I have an odd hobby where I try to receive distant AM radio stations, usually trying to decipher call signs through heavy static while fiddling with a separate loop antenna.  Record is a little over 1,100 miles from Iowa to my home in Mass by the way, just got it last night.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »

My last break was AWESOME looking. I had a purple stripe running up from the toe, which then radiated into green and yellow stripes across my foot.

No yellow or green for me. I feel I've been shortchanged.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
2) I have an odd hobby where I try to receive distant AM radio stations, usually trying to decipher call signs through heavy static while fiddling with a separate loop antenna.  Record is a little over 1,100 miles from Iowa to my home in Mass by the way, just got it last night.

That is a very odd hobby indeed, but also interesting. What got you into that? How did you figure out you could do that?

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »

That is a very odd hobby indeed, but also interesting. What got you into that? How did you figure out you could do that?

I don't remember how I got into it.  I assume it was from playing with the radio in the car and figuring out AM stations can reach pretty far on a clear night, FM doesn't work so well.  Then I started logging them in Excel.  It's basically a free hobby so long as you have a radio.  The loop antenna can be homemade out of mostly found parts but it isn't mandatory.

The only problem with it is that it's not a hobby where you're going to meet people and socialize.  I work on it a few days a week in the fall/winter and then shelf it for the rest of the year.

freezerburn

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2015, 02:56:08 PM »
In the category of "weird to most others," I dropped out of high school to go to college early.

Hold up, I did this too! I dropped out at the end of 10th grade and don't have a high school diploma or GED, but I do have a master's degree. (Any chance you went to Simon's Rock?)

Ha, I did! I went there in the 90s... won't say more for fear of outing myself, I like being anonymous on this forum :)

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
Nothing too weird from me.

Can't stand sports of any kind.
Haven't owned or used a clothes dryer in over 30 years.
Love teaching more and more with each new group of students.
Can make/build almost anything if I have an example to look at.
Over 50 and still a virgin (strict religious upbringing).

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2015, 03:20:26 PM »

I don't remember how I got into it.  I assume it was from playing with the radio in the car and figuring out AM stations can reach pretty far on a clear night, FM doesn't work so well.  Then I started logging them in Excel.  It's basically a free hobby so long as you have a radio.  The loop antenna can be homemade out of mostly found parts but it isn't mandatory.

The only problem with it is that it's not a hobby where you're going to meet people and socialize.  I work on it a few days a week in the fall/winter and then shelf it for the rest of the year.

I had a very brief interest in short wave as a teenager.  Did just enough to hear foreign voices and I was satisfied, but it was pretty cool.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »
1) I don't put milk in my cereal... I love milk but it feels more satisfying drinking in on the side.  Until my late teens, I figured it was only somewhat uncommon.  I have never actually met anyone else who eats it that way though (not that it's my go to ice breaker or anything)

Me too! Love that crunch!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2015, 07:48:39 AM »
Cool topic.

Quite honestly, it would take me quite a bit of time to list the all the "quirks" that make me ME...but I say this without hesitation. Since I FIRE'd, my weird-factor has been been able to BLOSSOM without constraint. Orca mating observation...check. 8 mile Baja beach walk with baby sea turtle rescue thrown in...check. Vegetable garden camping...it goes on and on. It is WONDERFUL to be weird. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »
I have to memorize numbers, I catch myself repeating and memorizing licence plates on the highway, bank cards, credit cards, phone numbers.  If I see a number or a weird abbreviation on TV I will catch myself repeating it until it is memorized!

As weird as it is I would label this as a curse!

Oh man. Reminded me of another one. I count. Everything. Stairs up to your house? Counted em. Doors on the right hand side of the hallway? Counted em. Telephone poles along the road between mile posts? Count, then restart. (Don't worry, I only count when I'm passenger!)

This is why it drives me insane when someone taps their foot in a quiet room. I have to count it and its very distracting.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2015, 08:47:21 AM »

The only thing I can think of that no-one else has mentioned is that I have no body piercings, not even my ears. Seems to be pretty weird for a she these days.

No piercings on me, either.  I keep thinking about getting my ears done, I like making my own jewelry and would love some dangly earrings, but just haven't gotten around to it.  I'm such a die-hard DIYer that it pains me to consider paying someone to do it for me, but family is prone to allergies of all types (mine are sunshine and vitamin E on my skin), so I'm just a bit leery.  My DD3 definitely has a nickel allergy, so she's never gotten a piercing, either.

Just realized my allergies are pretty weird.  The vitamin E one is annoying - it is put in nearly everything these days, so I have to read labels religiously: soap, shampoo, lotions, sunscreen (important for my sunshine allergy), dish detergent, lip balms, ...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2015, 09:01:45 AM »
- I'm a woman and I still enjoy playing late 1990s/early 2000s civilisation-building-type computer games. (Pharaoh, Dungeon Keeper II, Age of Empires II...)

I think it's more weird that there's two of us.

Pharoah - right there on my Desktop. A game I've played through dozens of time. Now, I'll admit, that I generally like the updated graphics of every Civ game that comes down the pipe. But Pharoah... it's timeless.

SimCity 2000 and all the associated cheat codes. I once built a metropolis of evenly-created residential, industrial, and commercial zones in a perfectly square grid with all zones, bodies of water and everything else nearly symmetrical. The metropolis and all its glorious denizens denigrated into a crime-ridden, poverty-stricken wasteland of closed businesses and foreclosed homes. I guess that's what I get for cheating... at least I had gajillions of dollars bwahahahaha.

I've totally done this as well.  I realized at one point that you don't need the roads to connect in sim city, your sims can walk as far as three squares on the grid.  Therefore my cities had roads only every three squares.  It saves a lot on maintenance fees, but I'm not sure how the actual driving worked.  I assume they were doing some elaborate car sharing in my city.  The complainy little bastards must have been in shape though!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2015, 10:11:20 AM »

That's 'cause you're doing it on the AM band. Why not get a ham license and do two-way DXing?

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »

It's funny to me that many people are listing the same things and calling them "weird." Not part of society's mainstream, but then you've gone ahead and joined another society (this one), where most of these things (atheism, paleo, etc.) are extremely mainstream.

Most people seem to be saying things that are interesting, not weird. If we were going with 'weird' it'd be split between negative and positive things, and I'm not sure there was a single negative thing on here.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
Grew up in a religious cult. Got out at 19. Kind of. It took years. I'm still figuring shit out, but like to think I'm pretty well balanced.

I guess that's weird.  I don't try to hide it but am often frustrated when people find out and always focus on that bit about me.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »
Grew up in a religious cult. Got out at 19. Kind of. It took years. I'm still figuring shit out, but like to think I'm pretty well balanced.

I guess that's weird.  I don't try to hide it but am often frustrated when people find out and always focus on that bit about me.

Do you have like s weird brand or something?  I might consider NOT sharing that little tidbit with new people I meet.

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »

That's 'cause you're doing it on the AM band. Why not get a ham license and do two-way DXing?

Never looked into it before but it would be interesting.  I figure that would mean a huge antenna in my yard which would not meet "Wife Approval Factor".

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
I drive race cars..
You. I like you. We are friends now.

To answer the OP question, I absolutely refuse to microwave my food. Ever.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
I drive race cars..

Heh.  Hope you don't ever eat out of the house.  An awful lot of restaurant cooking is just reheating stuff from the freezer in a microwave.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
I have to memorize numbers, I catch myself repeating and memorizing licence plates on the highway, bank cards, credit cards, phone numbers.  If I see a number or a weird abbreviation on TV I will catch myself repeating it until it is memorized!

As weird as it is I would label this as a curse!

Oh man. Reminded me of another one. I count. Everything. Stairs up to your house? Counted em. Doors on the right hand side of the hallway? Counted em. Telephone poles along the road between mile posts? Count, then restart. (Don't worry, I only count when I'm passenger!)

This is why it drives me insane when someone taps their foot in a quiet room. I have to count it and its very distracting.

I don't count (my wife does though), and can't memorize a phone number to save my life, but I can't help observing my surroundings in great detail.  I have to consciously stop when I am in someone's house or office as not to be a snoop.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
I drive race cars..

Heh.  Hope you don't ever eat out of the house.  An awful lot of restaurant cooking is just reheating stuff from the freezer in a microwave.
I do my best to eat places where I can see my food being prepared or to order things that would taste significantly different microwaved (hamburgers, French fries, etc)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2015, 12:38:57 PM »
I drive race cars..

You're absolutely right and it pisses me off.  I don't go out to eat that often, but when I do, I really don't want a frozen dinner microwaved, thankyouverymuch.  If I wanted that, I'd go to the frozen food section of the grocery store and buy my own.

I'd say most of the big chain places operate solely on this method (with a few things here and there made fresh or semi-fresh.)

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »
Some of these things may not be weird to those of you here, but they get me lots of weird looks from friends and acquaintances:

-my dream is to own land where I can set up a permaculture/aquaponics system that will feed my family
-I think hugelkultures are genius.
-I physically enjoy the feeling of cutting and chopping wood
-I love board games, and I get really into games which require negotiation and planning
-I used to be a mediator, and that fundamentally shapes how I view the world
-I brew beer (poorly)
-I prefer to eat food (except for tea) cold
-I refuse to use spice mixes

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2015, 01:13:29 PM »
Cool topic.

Quite honestly, it would take me quite a bit of time to list the all the "quirks" that make me ME...but I say this without hesitation. Since I FIRE'd, my weird-factor has been been able to BLOSSOM without constraint. Orca mating observation...check. 8 mile Baja beach walk with baby sea turtle rescue thrown in...check. Vegetable garden camping...it goes on and on. It is WONDERFUL to be weird. :)

Preach it, Jon_Snow!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
Some of these things may not be weird to those of you here, but they get me lots of weird looks from friends and acquaintances:

-my dream is to own land where I can set up a permaculture/aquaponics system that will feed my family
-I love board games, and I get really into games which require negotiation and planning
-I brew beer (poorly)

Nah, sounds fine to me. I butcher my own animals.  I will admit that it is a strange feeling to shoot an animal that you have been caring for so carefully for many months or even years.  I catch myself thinking I need to go check on the steer/pig/sheep for at least a week after they are in the freezer.

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »

-I brew beer (poorly)

Nah, sounds fine to me. I butcher my own animals.  I will admit that it is a strange feeling to shoot an animal that you have been caring for so carefully for many months or even years.  I catch myself thinking I need to go check on the steer/pig/sheep for at least a week after they are in the freezer.

When I was growing up, my dad always let my sister and I choose the name for our meat animals so long as it was a cut of meat. Our first was "T-Bone." He was also the best. It was a good way to teach kids about caring for an animal and respecting it, while still understanding why we were keeping the animal. I've unfortunately moved into town while DW is in graduate school, but I think I will continue that tradition when we leave. DW has mixed feeling about raising animals for food, so I think I will start small with a little self-contained aquaponics system with fish and crayfish before we start trying goats and steers.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
  • Mrs. MacNerd is mutantly tall. (Mr. MacNerd is slightly taller than Mrs., but it looks less like a mutation on him since he's a dude.)
  • Mrs. MacNerd is a huge geek. (The geek gene is missing in Mr. MacNerd.)
  • Mr. and Mrs. MacNerd are Bible-thumping Christians who wish most Christians would shut the heck up. (Being a Bible-thumper is not weird for where we live, but it IS somewhat weird on this forum.)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
(Any chance you went to Simon's Rock?)

Ha, I did! I went there in the 90s... won't say more for fear of outing myself, I like being anonymous on this forum :)
Ha! I would never have expected to meet another rocker here! I was there in the 80's, so we wouldn't have crossed paths. For anyone else reading this, this is somewhat remarkable because they only have about 300-400 students.