Author Topic: Quick southwest question  (Read 6575 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Quick southwest question
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:58:44 AM »
If I were to get two credit cards from southwest and do the companion pass thing, could I still use the point for my daughter to fly.  Basically having three people fly together, two on points and one on the companion pass? 

themagicman

• Bristles
Re: Quick southwest question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »
If I were to get two credit cards from southwest and do the companion pass thing, could I still use the point for my daughter to fly.  Basically having three people fly together, two on points and one on the companion pass?

Yes, you can!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
Ok, next question:  Chase says "Apply for the Southwest Airlines Rapid RewardsŪ Premier Card1 and get ready to get away. You'll earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in your first 3 months your account is open.2 This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months."  Does that mean no more doubling up credit cards for the companion pass?

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:41:33 PM »
Ok, next question:  Chase says "Apply for the Southwest Airlines Rapid RewardsŪ Premier Card1 and get ready to get away. You'll earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in your first 3 months your account is open.2 This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months."  Does that mean no more doubling up credit cards for the companion pass?

It means you cannot get the same card for the pass. You can get the business card or the plus and premier card (I think)

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »

I think this counts as "it depends".  Do they have wording saying they specifically prohibit YOU from getting a card and then separately YOUR WIFE from getting one?  As far as credit reports are concerned, you are two separate people.  However Chase might have wording saying that you are only supposed to get one rewards card per household, for example.

I've had 4 Chase cards and the Southwest one is the last card I still have.  I only have it because I have 40,000 points left that I don't want to lose, but ever since my divorce I have no need to fly anywhere, so I'm torn between paying $99/year to keep the card versus losing $570 or so worth of airline points after canceling my card.

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »

I think this counts as "it depends".  Do they have wording saying they specifically prohibit YOU from getting a card and then separately YOUR WIFE from getting one?  As far as credit reports are concerned, you are two separate people.  However Chase might have wording saying that you are only supposed to get one rewards card per household, for example.

I've had 4 Chase cards and the Southwest one is the last card I still have.  I only have it because I have 40,000 points left that I don't want to lose, but ever since my divorce I have no need to fly anywhere, so I'm torn between paying $99/year to keep the card versus losing $570 or so worth of airline points after canceling my card.

You and your wife should both be able to get the same chase card (I have several time). But I do not think both will court toward companion.

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure you get to keep your Southwest points in your Southwest account, even if you close your Chase credit card.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure you get to keep your Southwest points in your Southwest account, even if you close your Chase credit card.

Only for a period of time.  I think it used to be 12 months, as I've had them cancel my points before, but it looks like now it's 24 months:

Points will remain active and valid as long as you have at least one qualifying earning activity every 24 months.

That's from the SWA website.  I won't be flying anywhere for the next 12 months, but only "might" be in the 12 months after that.  It is pretty reasonable to assume I'll fly somewhere within the next 3 years however, because I should be out of debt and in much better financial shape by summer of 2017.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:38:22 PM by Sid Hoffman »

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »

You and your wife should both be able to get the same chase card (I have several time). But I do not think both will court toward companion.

that won't do it- it has to be the same person with both cards because it will be linked to the same Southwest Rapid Rewards account.

we have a whole thread on this over in the Badassity subforum :  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/southwest-100-000-bonus-points-2-years-of-companion-status-badass-offer/

you can do the Personal Plus and the Personal Premiere and get the bonus for both.  Their wording means that you can't do the PLUS and then a year later do the PLUS again and get the bonus.
Thanks!  I hope to do this later in the years so this knowledge is great.

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »

Only for a period of time.  I think it used to be 12 months, as I've had them cancel my points before, but it looks like now it's 24 months:

Points will remain active and valid as long as you have at least one qualifying earning activity every 24 months.

That's from the SWA website.  I won't be flying anywhere for the next 12 months, but only "might" be in the 12 months after that.  It is pretty reasonable to assume I'll fly somewhere within the next 3 years however, because I should be out of debt and in much better financial shape by summer of 2017.

Yeah, but there's more than one way to earn points. You could just buy something small through the Southwest shopping portal to keep your account active. Ditch the card.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:54:37 PM by MustachianAccountant »

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »
Yeah, but there's more than one way to earn points. You could just buy something small through the Southwest shopping portal to keep your account active. Ditch the card.

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll just do that.  I think I have until June before the next renewal.