Author Topic: Questions for first day at new job?  (Read 4963 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Questions for first day at new job?
« on: August 20, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
I start a new job on Tuesday. It's a place I worked at briefly a couple of years ago. I remember it being kind of an entrepreneurial situation where I was expected to create my own role. What are some good first week/ first day questions I can ask? I don't have a job description but the type of work is called "audit readiness" if that helps anyone. I'm not a manager.
Thanks in advance.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Questions for first day at new job?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
Are you taking over for someone or is this a new role?  If you're inheriting a position, find out about your predecessor's files and where things stand on their projects.
If it's new, ask questions and Listen.  Over the years I found so many problems would have been avoided, or projects done more easily, if listening was a No. 1 priority.  This includes finding out the exact scope of work expected from you.  This prevents surprises at review time because expectations will have been made clear. 
Talk to an experienced assistant about any formal and informal work rules, budget and expense guidelines, etc.  Again, another minefield that can be dodged if everything is known upfront. 

Also I would not engage in any work gossip.  Hopefully this workplace is drama free, but if not, you as the newbie can be quickly dragged into circuses that are not yours - just be mindful. 

Good luck!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
Are you taking over for someone or is this a new role?

I think I'm taking over for someone else but I didn't hear that from an official source. I will ask that and the follow up questions.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »
These are the questions I have when I start a new role:

WHO
   1. Who are the people on my team? (make a chart/list)
   2. Where are these people located?
   3. How is the team structured? (managers, directors, sister teams, etc)
   4. How do we relate to other teams? Where do we live in the organization?
   5. Who are our major business partners?
   6. What email lists/communication tools are used on this team? Can I be added to these?
WHAT
   1. What is my role? What will I be responsible for?
   2. What are the best practices on this team? For this role?
   3. What are the things that I need to know about being <role> on this team?
   4. What are the things I need to know about the team?
   5. What are the projects the team is currently working on?
   6. What is coming down the pipeline? What things are we working towards?
   7. What are the major initiatives in this space? Goals?
   8. How does a <role> help drive these initiatives?
   9. What recurring meetings does this team have? (need to be invited)
   10. What are your expectations of me?
   11. How can I help?

I find that once these are answered, it gives me a good foundation to get started.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
In 6 months from now, what do you want me to have accomplished in order for you to view me as a successful hire?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:44 AM »
How did it go?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
Hey! It was great. I also googled some questions and they had a welcome packet for me that included almost everything I needed.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »
Good that they were prepared. Onboarding can be weird.

bmelissa545

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »
I always think it's important to ask what your KPI's are and what measurements you will be held to. AKA do you have weekly goals or monthly goals?

Good luck!

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
All good comments above, but mostly internally focused. Soon you may want to consider shifting focus a bit to understanding "why" your customers use your firm, what are the customers/clients other options, what keeps them up at night with regards to the customers, understanding how items end up on an invoice- what I consider  sort of an "Outside/In" analysis.
I have spent major time both "kayaking" as a sales rep by my self in the field; but I have also worked in the belly of the corporate Mothership and have always been amazed at how little many internal "silo's" understand the customer experience and what moves a prospect through to sale through implementation through final billing through invoice payment all the way through repeat customer. Weak links at any point can lead to a failed customer experience and if the customer drops, the cost of replacement (on top of anticipated growth) is exceptionally high.  I never had a Senior level exec not interested in a (carefully) discussion of what the state of customer experience is and how it might be improved.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
I don't know what kpi's are but we have discussed where they want me to be a month from now.
Good points about an external focus. I work as a contractor for the federal government and i have to be really on it in terms of making them happy.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 09:38:44 PM »
Hey! It was great. I also googled some questions and they had a welcome packet for me that included almost everything I needed.

Congratulations on the new job, mozar!  I'm glad the first day went well.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »
Thanks!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
KPI = Key Performance Indicators. We measure what's important to us. Ask how your performance will be measured. Ask how your boss's performance is measured. Help him achieve these goals.

Sometimes, it's squishy. That's bad. Try to make it more specific, more measureable, by building in specific milestones that get you closer to whatever squishy thing was poorly defined. Sometimes, they move the goal posts. That can be bad. Document what they asked you to do at a point in time, so when it changes, you can have a new conversation about how to get from wherever you are, to where they want you to go.

Recommend you read the excellent business fable, _Three Signs of a Miserable Job_ by Patrick Lencioni.

Congrats on the new job. Since you mentioned audit readiness, I would also ask the question, "Was an audit performed recently? May I see it, along with our response to the audit?" If there wasn't an audit recently, ask, "What do we expect the auditor to ask?" Auditors typically look for a defined process for how work is done, and evidence that the process is being followed. That is a good place to start.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
Thanks Axecleaver.