Author Topic: Question: Stay Put, Downgrade or Quit  (Read 5433 times)

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
Question: Stay Put, Downgrade or Quit
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
The Upside:  I am a 26 year old Economics grad working a completely unrelated yet enjoyable government job.  This job is a fairly entry level computer services type job.  I have learned many new skills and am challenged frequently.  I also like my coworkers.  Health insurance is great here and I may even get a pension someday if I stay.

The Downside:  My commute is 25 miles each way.  I have a two year old in daycare near our house.  The biggest thing that makes this work situation less than ideal is that my husband travels for work 5 days a week.  Monday through Friday I am responsible for all parenting, the homestead and my job.  This has become very stressful for me.

Here are a few options my husband and I have discussed to help the situation:
-Stay put.  If I stay put, our savings rate has been around 60% or more (once student loans are paid off next month).  Since I am entry level, I will be able to apply for better jobs with the skills I am learning.
-Take a job close to home.  There is one job potential near my house.  The downside is that I would start at only around $10 and hour while training then $15 and hour.  There is room for advancement, but probably never extremely high being such a small town.
-Quit.  I could quit completely and stay home with our son.  We would also like one more child in the future.  I also could focus on building income on our homestead.  This would decrease the savings rate to 10-20% forcing my husband to work much longer.

Our end goal in this whole process is for both of us to be home being full-time farmers.  There are good and bad things about each option.  I guess this is more of a what would you do type of question.  Also is there anything else I haven't yet considered?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Question: Stay Put, Downgrade or Quit
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
How far along are you to do homesteading? Do you have any property now?

Have you seen this blog: http://urbanhomestead.org/urban-homestead. They are producing an amazing amount on a city lot & appear to live a mustachian lifestyle.

Your commute is killer & you are missing much of your child's life. The job close to home doesn't sound as promising as focusing on the potential of your homestead, especially as that's your ultimate goal.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
Thanks, I'll check that blog out.  We have a 30 acre farm that is near perfect for homesteading.  We didn't grow many vegetables this year, but planted many fruit trees and started raising chickens and pigs.  I realize that my commute is awful and I really want to get rid of it.  I just have no idea what would be the best way to do it.

naloj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
Is the pay extremely high for an "entry level" position or your day care relatively inexpensive?  I'm kind of surprised that quitting would hurt your savings rate so much with your long commute and full-time day care.

Are the new skills you're learning valuable?  Like database/networking/programming/sysadmin that can potentially earn you lots more income later down the road?

If the stress is burning you out, it's definitely worth thinking about prioritizing your mental/emotional well being over financial well being.

yddeyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
Not sure what's best for you, but I chose to work while the kids were young because our savings rate was simply so much higher.  Most folks do it the other way, stay home while the kids are young and then go back to work when they get school aged.  You don't say how far out you are from your husband's retirement now vs. if you quit or take a lower paying job.  That is a factor.  There are some things I am willing to do if it cuts a significant amount of time off my work life.

And, you could always move closer to work....if you are in love with your current home you could rent it out while you live closer to your current job.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »
I feel you 100%, we too pay the costs of living in a rural area. With all the time/energy/money invested in the homestead, any type of relocation feels like leaving a lot behind. Right now we have long commutes, but thankfully they should wind down pretty soon.     

Much of the stress you are feeling is probably due to your husband working out of town.  I had a month long out of town assignment (home on weekends) a while back and even though my kids are in school, and my wife only works part time, it was incredibly stressful for her covering 100% of family and homestead duties. 

Can he find something in the same town you are working in? If you could commute together you could probably justify the expense pretty easily. 

If you are planning on a second baby I'd try to stick it out with the highest savings job you can until that time comes.  The money you invest now has the most opportunity to grow and will shave the most time off of your husband's working career. 

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
Is the pay extremely high for an "entry level" position or your day care relatively inexpensive?  I'm kind of surprised that quitting would hurt your savings rate so much with your long commute and full-time day care.

Are the new skills you're learning valuable?  Like database/networking/programming/sysadmin that can potentially earn you lots more income later down the road?

If the stress is burning you out, it's definitely worth thinking about prioritizing your mental/emotional well being over financial well being.

We use a wonderful home daycare in our small town.  It is only $100/wk.  My car gets pretty good mpg, so gas isn't too much either.  I am doing system admin/database programming type of work.  Some days the stress is really burning me out and I'm ready to quit right away and other days I feel like I can do it all. 

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
I feel you 100%, we too pay the costs of living in a rural area. With all the time/energy/money invested in the homestead, any type of relocation feels like leaving a lot behind. Right now we have long commutes, but thankfully they should wind down pretty soon.     

Much of the stress you are feeling is probably due to your husband working out of town.  I had a month long out of town assignment (home on weekends) a while back and even though my kids are in school, and my wife only works part time, it was incredibly stressful for her covering 100% of family and homestead duties. 

Can he find something in the same town you are working in? If you could commute together you could probably justify the expense pretty easily. 

If you are planning on a second baby I'd try to stick it out with the highest savings job you can until that time comes.  The money you invest now has the most opportunity to grow and will shave the most time off of your husband's working career.

That is exactly why we would not like to move.  When you put a significant amount of effort into a piece of land, it is difficult to leave it behind and start over.  My husband loves his job.  It is a start-up company with a significant amount of growth potential.  I don't think he would leave that behind, at least not for a few more years.  We used to commute together everyday, which I really enjoyed.  I could probably stick it out until we decide if and when there will be another child.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
How about working from home, at least part of the time? I've never heard of such cheap daycare! No wonder it would hurrt your savings rate to quit.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
How about working from home, at least part of the time? I've never heard of such cheap daycare! No wonder it would hurrt your savings rate to quit.

I would love to work from home.  It is not something my employer offers.  I have looked around to see what kind of work at home jobs are out there and have yet to find much legitimate work.  It is something that a future employer could allow with the type of skills I am developing. 

SondraRose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
I would stay home with my child\children.  That's where your heart is and everyone will benefit from your reduced stress.

People underestimate how much our early childhood experiences impact us.  Your children will be much happier with a happier mom.