Author Topic: Question regarding Questrade  (Read 3228 times)

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Question regarding Questrade
« on: March 22, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
Every month, I invest in the canadian couch potato ETF portfolio model (VXC, VCN and VAB). I noticed as of now, everytime I buy VXC and VCN shares that I pay a small commission for each buy...for example the last one I paid 28 shares for VXC at 28.14$/share (795.48$ in total)....however I also noticed I paid 0.10$ of commission...now that number seems small, but if you accumulate that in years, it may add up quite substantially,right???

Should I start piling up my money until I reach 1000$ or an X amount of money and then buy my three ETF's or should I continue what I am doing and invest every month a small amount? The previous month I paid 0.05$ in total for all three VXC VCN and VAB, but that was because I invested less money. So I am confused on wether I should continue what I am doing or change it all up and invest in large amounts instead.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
Re: Question regarding Questrade
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »
With such small commissions, it doesn't add up as much as in a standard on-line brokerage (i.e. Schwab, TDAmeritrade, CapitolOne Investing, etc) where the commissions per trade are anywhere from $4.95-to-$8.  While it makes sense to consolidate trades to a larger dollar value, don't do it if it means you have large amounts of cash (little worker dollars) sitting around not doing anything for you.

The only way I know of to buy these*Vanguard* ETF's with ZERO commissions is to buy them in a Vanguard brokerage account.  (i.e. not via Questrade)  But I have no idea if Vanguard offers brokerage accounts to Canadians, eh.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 10:44:58 AM »
Should I start piling up my money until I reach 1000$ or an X amount of money and then buy my three ETF's or should I continue what I am doing and invest every month a small amount? The previous month I paid 0.05$ in total for all three VXC VCN and VAB, but that was because I invested less money. So I am confused on wether I should continue what I am doing or change it all up and invest in large amounts instead.

I wouldn't. You are likely to lose more value than the cost you are saving by holding cash until you have a specific amount accumulated.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:47:04 AM by Retire-Canada »

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
Hey there, you are likely being charged ECN or ATS fees. 

Here is the way to avoid:
https://community.questrade.com/b/diy_investing/archive/2013/05/22/inside-track-exchange-fees.aspx

Filliteracy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journal to FIRE: Winter is coming (FIRE in Canada)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
Ransom,

You need to look at your costs as a percent of your investments. If you are paying 10$ to invest 1000$, then your costs are 1% (which is rather high). Personally, I save up 2000$  a month and invest every two-three months and haven't automated it because I want the added flexibility and I know I won't spend the money instead of investing it. I'm with Itrade, so it costs me 9.99$ per transaction for stocks. I have chosen to buy in chunks of 6000$, to lower my investment cost to .16% 10/6000)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »
Every month, I invest in the canadian couch potato ETF portfolio model (VXC, VCN and VAB). I noticed as of now, everytime I buy VXC and VCN shares that I pay a small commission for each buy...for example the last one I paid 28 shares for VXC at 28.14$/share (795.48$ in total)....however I also noticed I paid 0.10$ of commission...now that number seems small, but if you accumulate that in years, it may add up quite substantially,right???

So let's say you get charged $0.10 per transaction with 3 transactions per month to invest in your CCP portfolio. That's a total of 12 x 3 x $0.10 = $3.60/year.

If you saved that $3.60 and invested it at 7% for 10yrs you'd have $7.08 or enough for a fast food meal.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 01:37:36 PM »

That won't help.  As you can see from the link Ottawa posted, the ATS fee is per share, not per transaction or by dollar amount. 

I honestly don't think they add up to enough to worry about, as a cost.  Trying to save $0.0035 a share?  If you buy 10,000 VXC shares the damage is $35.  Thirty five bucks to invest ~$281,400?  I figure I can save more money (and more easily) by just optimizing my grocery shopping a tiny bit more.

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »
Glad it is minimal, I am not good with math especially when it comes to calculating how much all those commission fee's would cost long term.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!