Author Topic: Question on the Networthify Early Retirement Calculator  (Read 15212 times)

E in DC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My MMM Journal
Question on the Networthify Early Retirement Calculator
« on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
Hello Everyone-

I have a random question about the Networthify Early Retirement Calculator that MMM (I think?) set up at this URL:

https://networthify.com/calculator/earlyretirement?income=70000&initialBalance=0&expenses=25200&annualPct=5&withdrawalRate=4

Should I be entering my net or gross income in the 'Current Annual Income' field?  I'm a bit unsure because when I set a percentage to contribute to my 401K, it's against my gross income, but I'm pretty sure MMM says to enter your net income in the field in the calculator.  Does it even matter?  I want to make sure I'm doing/looking at this right before making any decisions based off of it. 

Thanks in advance!

-E in DC

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Question on the Networthify Early Retirement Calculator
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
You enter any money coming into accounts you control.

If you have 100k worth of paychecks going into your bank account and another 18k going into your 401k

You would put 118k

If your spouse brings home another 40k, your total would be 158k.

ALSO, any debt you want paid off before FIRE needs to be subtracted from your current stash amount. If you have 100k in investments and 40k worth of car debt, you should only enter 60k into current stash.

Likewise, if you have continued debt into FIRE those payments must be added to your spending.

You wouldn't want to enter pretax values because then it will assume you're investing way more than you are.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:52:52 PM by TheAnonOne »

E in DC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My MMM Journal
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Thanks TheAnonOne.  I got tangled up in trying to make it reflect what I know (or think) is my savings rate.  The added perspective is helpful!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
     I have a random question about the Networthify Early Retirement Calculator that MMM (I think?) set up at this URL:
https://networthify.com/calculator/earlyretirement?income=70000&initialBalance=0&expenses=25200&annualPct=5&withdrawalRate=4
     Should I be entering my net or gross income in the 'Current Annual Income' field?
The income itself is irrelevant.

What matters are the savings and expense numbers.

You can use Excel's NPER function and match the Networthify results.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:14 AM »
I would just enter net save-able income i.e. net + retirement savings.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk