Author Topic: Question on my various 401k's and where to put them  (Read 1572 times)

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
Question on my various 401k's and where to put them
« on: October 11, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »
Let me preface this with I much prefer Fidelity's website and customer service to Vanguard's.  I changed my email address at least 10 times on Vanguard's site and it won't accept the changes each time I go back, then it tells me to update it again and again.  I have tried calling but hard to get through and nothing seems to take.  I also tried to reset my pin with Vanguard and it took several weeks.  If I just call up Fidelity everything is taken care of quickly. 

Okay, so I have an old 401k from my former law firm with Fidelity. I had about 100k in there but with the market lately, it's down to the 95k's.  Overall, I am pretty pleased with its performance.  The funds in there are:  4.40% FCNKX FID CONTRAFUND K, 19.81% LLSCX LONGLEAF SMALL CAP, 16.88% OAKIX OAKMARK INTL I, .21% OIGIX OPPHMR INTL GROWTH I, 52% VINIX VANGUARD INST INDEX

I have another old 401k that is with Vanguard that has about $7500 in it.  Funds are: Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares 54.3%, Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares   35.4%, Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund**   7.2%, Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Institutional Shares   3.1%

The next one has $2800 and with JPM (don't know the funds bc I can't log in !  So frustrating)

My new 401k is with Schwab and there are some choices that I need to review.  Can't change this one though but I plan to max out this year and going forward.

So my question is, which ones do I move, if any, and where do I move them?  Do I move everything into a Fidelity or Vanguard IRA?  Do I keep them where they are? 

Another question in my mind is whether since the market is low, if it is a bad idea to move any money right now, (i.e. selling at a low?)

NathanDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Question on my various 401k's and where to put them
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 02:58:16 PM »
If you don't need to change them, and fees are similar, I'd stay put. Both Fidelity and Vanguard should have great low-fee options.

Moving from one to another isn't that risky, but you do risk having your money out of the market for a few days while the transfer takes place. This could either work in your favor or against, and during highly volatile times the market could swing a few percentage points over the course of a few days.