Author Topic: Question for YNAB users, considering switch from Quicken.  (Read 4292 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Question for YNAB users, considering switch from Quicken.
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »
The first year I used quicken I loved it, however I have had so many connectivity problems with Chase bank and Wells Fargo, and constantly re-setting accounts and double counting transactions that I am frustrated with all the hassle. Not to mention when I attempt to re-set the account it gives me an error saying that I cannot do it and I don't want to manually input data for every transaction. Also Quicken's ask for help system is pretty much like an online version of the DMV.

Is YNAB the way to go, or do I just need to be more computer savvy?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Question for YNAB users, considering switch from Quicken.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
well YNAB is 100% manual entry of transactions so I don't think this is what you want.

It does allow for import of transactions from a file (which most banks will export for you).

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
Did not know that, thank you for the info. Is it pretty user friendly, I think I could handle just importing files.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
The importing files works pretty well! The biggest win for YNAB for me, however, is manually entering transactions on my phone every single time I buy something. So quick (much quicker than a checkbook register was!) and it makes the "budget" feel much more real. I almost never have to import transactions anymore because I manually enter everytime! I'd say I spend a grand total of maybe 8 minutes a week manually entering, 15 seconds at a time.

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
I don't know if YNAB is worth it for you, what do you want it for? it's not really like Quicken.

We use both Mint and YNAB together. Mint is much more like Quicken, it updates accounts automatically and is free to use, so you may want to try that first. It is great at tracking all accounts, net worth, retirement goals, etc. I have encountered a few bugs, all of which were resolved quickly or are issues with my bank not Mint. The budgeting is on par with Quicken (ie sucks) and there are a lot of sponsor plugs because hey it is free.

YNAB is budgeting software, and it does it really well. We use YNAB to track checking, savings, and credit card accounts (4 accounts total). Updates are not automatic, but I download and import transactions from the bank very easily, and the only transactions I tend to enter by hand are checks or complicated receipts where I need to split categories before throwing the receipt out. The program will match transactions if you enter manually, so no double entries if you also import. And I can't think of any bugs I've encountered other than issues with dropbox to sync with the mobile app. But we do not use it to track investment accounts, retirement planning, or loans.

f you go with YNAB, there is a trial period, and you can ask around for a referral code discount.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »
FYI YNAB is moving from desktop to subscription model in 2016.  You need to evaluate in subscription cost worth it for you. The subscription cost is said to be about $45-50 per year or $5/month.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »
or you can just buy it now while it's a flat fee and keep it forever!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
FYI YNAB is moving from desktop to subscription model in 2016.  You need to evaluate in subscription cost worth it for you. The subscription cost is said to be about $45-50 per year or $5/month.

I didn't know about this.  That's too bad.  Curious to see how it plays out.  I like my version and want to see it supported in the future.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »

I didn't know about this.  That's too bad.  Curious to see how it plays out.  I like my version and want to see it supported in the future.

YNAB4 will keep working, they aren't going to kill it.  It just won't get updates.  A lot of people are annoyed about it.  If you buy YNAB4 before the release of YNAB5, you'll get a certain number of months YNAB5 free (based on when you purchased).  But a subscription service for a budgeting program.....it just doesn't quite fit.

SoftwareGoddess

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »
Did not know that, thank you for the info. Is it pretty user friendly, I think I could handle just importing files.

Quicken also supports importing transactions from files. That's how I used to use it, because I didn't want to give it my login information.