Author Topic: Question for the ladies please.....  (Read 19303 times)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Question for the ladies please.....
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »
I am just now to the point where I don't have to carry a diaper bag with me everywhere, so it has been about 8 years of not needing a regular purse.

So in researching for the exact purse I want, I came across a camera bag, well made and beautiful and I love how versatile it is and keep everything organized.

Knowing we can afford it, and I like to pay for quality and use it for a very long. I guess I am just wanting to be sure, I don't want to order it and then regret it, I have been sitting on this decision for a few days now. It is one of these bags I  am thinking of http://store.kellymoorebag.com/collections/all/products/2-sues

So if you have a very well made purse and know it will last forever, and doesn't have a flap, please I am open to suggestions, I just don't want any label purses, you know with large C's or LV's on them, although I am sure I won't get that suggestion with this crowd ;)

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
Re: Question for the ladies please.....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »
Ooo girl, that is cute but EXPENSIVE! I'm not the best to comment on this because my fave purse is 10 years old and my other purse is currently held together with some safety pins, but, that seems like a lot for one item. I understand what you're staying about buying a quality item that'll last for years, but what if you change your mind about the style? Or your purse needs change? Or it gets lost/broken/stained/trampled by bison?

Wondering if a thrift store might have a quality bag for vastly less? Last time I bought a purse, I got it at Kohl's and am still happily using it (I think it was circa $30). Let us know what you decide!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »
I have a larger Coach bag that I bought on Ebay about 5 years ago.  I think I paid $160 with the matching wallet included.  I abuse the crap out of it and it just looks better with wear.  It doesn't have any visible logos, just a small brand imprint on the strap buckles.  It really is fantastically made, and if you're going to spend $$ on a bag, why not get a very lightly used Coach, which will hold up better than a bag that has a $100-200 retail price?

Whatever you get, make sure that the shoulder strap is sufficiently wide.  I just popped onto Coach's website, and some of the satchels have narrow shoulder straps that would hurt if you carried them for very long.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:10 AM »
Check ebay first to see if you might be able to get it at a better price.

Doomspark

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
These are what my wife uses:

http://coronadoleather.com/i-6630792-american-hobo.html

Pricey, but they last for years.  A little leather dye and saddle-soap work wonders.

Lexie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
For me personally $200 is too much to pay for a purse, but that's my person preference.
I bought a leather Fossil purse at an outlet for $80 and it's been lasting great so far (2 years). I know it's something you use everything but I don't think I would be willing to pay over $100 for.

rujancified

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:40 AM »
I have a large chest and can't do the cross-body style comfortably, so I like that you can do it shoulder, too. Great looking bag! And the Pioneer Woman just gave one away!

I have a bag that was more expensive than that*. Have carried it daily since 2007 and it looks fantastic (other than the lining, which I really need to fix). At the time, I walked or bused everywhere, so needed a bag large enough for my extra pair of shoes, an umbrella, a book, as well as the normal bag stuff.

*I hemmed and hawed over it for months and almost threw up when I bought it. I had no debt and decent savings, but it was the most expensive single item I'd ever bought at the time.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »
What you have mentioned is a lot that goes through my mind already :)

Usually when I want to make a big purchase, I sit on it for a few days, this is the third day and I am still wanting it. This waiting period has saved me so so so much money and regret.

I have tried Ebay, they sell them brand new for the same price.

I have checked a lot of places, still no luck for a better price.

I will keep looking, their is no big hurry, I might still forget about it.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »
I have a larger Coach bag that I bought on Ebay about 5 years ago.  I think I paid $160 with the matching wallet included.  I abuse the crap out of it and it just looks better with wear.  It doesn't have any visible logos, just a small brand imprint on the strap buckles.  It really is fantastically made, and if you're going to spend $$ on a bag, why not get a very lightly used Coach, which will hold up better than a bag that has a $100-200 retail price?

Whatever you get, make sure that the shoulder strap is sufficiently wide.  I just popped onto Coach's website, and some of the satchels have narrow shoulder straps that would hurt if you carried them for very long.

ooh, I like this idea.

greenmimama, it looks like the bag you posted isn't leather (it says "water resistant manmade materials"). that makes me nervous because all the non-leather bags I've had start cracking within a few years and look like shit.

I got my current bag (big zipper-top tote with a removable crossbody strap) at a Fossil outlet for like $60. it's not really BIFL but it's pretty good... it's fabric but the handles and stuff are real leather, and the fabric color hides griminess really well :) I've had it for almost 2 years and my only con is that I with the interior was a little better organized.

also I now see Lexie also singing the praises of the Fossil outlet :)

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:02:40 AM »
Five years ago I bought a canvas messenger bag from Moop, and it has proven damn near indestructible and still looks great after regular use and many foreign countries. The stitching and construction of her stuff is top-notch.

She has a lot of different styles now, and the Porter or the Carrier look like great everyday bags.
http://www.moopshop.com/collections/the-porter/products/the-porter
http://www.moopshop.com/products/the-carrier

The downside to the bag you're looking at is its material. Since it's that plastic-y faux leather, I don't think it will hold up to a lot of abuse and still look nice. YMMV, but I usually choose leather or sturdy textile for handbags now because they hide wear much better. I've bought a lot of cheap handbags that I've regretted, esp at TJ Maxx and the Gap, so my approach now is to find a quality one (within reason) that I love with a classic color and look.

I've never had good luck with thrift store finds, until last month I found a Talbots black leather tote in perfect condition for a whopping $5. That was my one and only success.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
I agree that if you want to spend money on a nice purse, you should go for a leather one, unless there is an ethical component.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
I agree that if you want to spend money on a nice purse, you should go for a leather one, unless there is an ethical component.
+1 for leather

gildedbutterfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "We two alone will...laugh at gilded butterflies"
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »

greenmimama, it looks like the bag you posted isn't leather (it says "water resistant manmade materials"). that makes me nervous because all the non-leather bags I've had start cracking within a few years and look like shit.

I'd be careful assuming that all non-leather bags are the same quality. A lot of the non-leather bags that people buy are cheap and cheaply made. But there are quite a few very good quality bags made of manmade materials that can last for years. Seven years ago, I bought a used Matt&Nat on ebay (it was 2-3 seasons old at the time). Still looks practically new, and even survived when I put a leaky bottle of toilet bowl cleaner in there a year and a half ago, though the lining is a little stiffer now!

The best part about it is that on more than one occasion I've been called out by people saying, "Well, if you don't believe in eating meat, why are you carrying a leather bag?" When I tell them it's not real leather, they often don't believe me, unless they're into vegan fashion and then they recognize the Matt&Nat name.

Anyway, all that is to say that non-leather can be just as good quality as leather. I don't know very much about Kelly Moore bags, but there's no reason to assume that it's cheaply made just because it's manmade materials.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »
I have a fossil (with flap) bag I bought with xmas money maybe 3 years ago. I use it everyday and it still looks great. It is made of a vinylzed cloth so I'd say that also works. try them on in person, see if it is the size, etc that you like on your person, has the pockets you need, etc. And then wait for sales and you can find a really nice bag for $60-100.
On the weekends I usually use a couple cloth totes, one from target one from Sears, each was $15 or less.
I think your bag also looks good and useful, just it's on the pricey side. 

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
If you really want it, I say go for it. My DH and I do buy pricey things sometimes, if we are sure we really want it, will use it for a long time, etc.

With that being said, my recommendation is to check around at thrift stores. I generally get a new purse once a year or so, but I pay less than $5 each for them. I splurged last week and bought a Vera Bradley at a thrift store for $6. Lots of people get purses as gifts and then do not like them. I find purses to be one of the most common "like new" items at a thrift store.

An Ebay alert is also a good idea. I very much wanted more of the stainless steel silverware my grandfather bought me. It is discontinued and I couldn't find it anywhere except replacements.com, which wanted something crazy like $10 a spoon or something. So, I set up an Ebay alert. Sure enough, about a year or more later, someone put an entire set up on Ebay for only $29.99. It was a seven day auction and I was the only bidder. I am sure I would have missed it without the Ebay alert.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
I agree with pretty much all the comments already. While it is mustachian to spend more for a good, quality item, I'd stop around to see if you can find something of similar quality for less. Buying directly from the vendor like that means you're paying for the label on the bag more than the bag itself, in my opinion. I've made great finds at Goodwill and other local thrift shops!

StarryC

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
I am willing spend on a purse.  It is the one item I use literally every single day, 365 days a year, and function matters.  The last one lasted for 4 years.  So, if you love it, and can make a commitment to it, I don't think up to $300 is unreasonable.  This bag might not be the one, based on the discussion of leather v. pleather, etc.  You also might want to spend a few months trying out a bag of this type in the $20-$40 range to make sure the size and shape work for you, especially since this is a transition.  Once, I thought a smaller, lighter bag would work for me.  HA HA, after one week I was very glad I hadn't bought an expensive, small bag.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »
Not a lady, but DW and I both ditched the diaper bag for backpacks. She has to tote heavy paper binders and a laptop from work. I bike commute to work, and when with the goblins during the week I'm carrying large amounts of water, snacks, etc.

Neither of us can carry a lot of weight on one shoulder for long. Not as fashionable, but worth a thought. She started doing the backpack for everything after some particularly grueling convention days when her shoulder starting killing her.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »

I'd be careful assuming that all non-leather bags are the same quality. A lot of the non-leather bags that people buy are cheap and cheaply made. But there are quite a few very good quality bags made of manmade materials that can last for years. Seven years ago, I bought a used Matt&Nat on ebay (it was 2-3 seasons old at the time). Still looks practically new, and even survived when I put a leaky bottle of toilet bowl cleaner in there a year and a half ago, though the lining is a little stiffer now!

The best part about it is that on more than one occasion I've been called out by people saying, "Well, if you don't believe in eating meat, why are you carrying a leather bag?" When I tell them it's not real leather, they often don't believe me, unless they're into vegan fashion and then they recognize the Matt&Nat name.

Anyway, all that is to say that non-leather can be just as good quality as leather. I don't know very much about Kelly Moore bags, but there's no reason to assume that it's cheaply made just because it's manmade materials.

cool! good to know! I hadn't heard of that brand. I wonder what material they use and how you could identify it in another purse. I feel like a lot of overpriced hipster stuff is labeled "vegan leather" to make it sound legit when it's really just PVC :(

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
I buy my purses on Etsy. But I'm into flaps, so I don't have a recommendation. But I always find well-made, unique purses. Just thought I'd offer the suggestion of yet another place to look for something.

SummerLovin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
What will you be carrying in this bag?  Do you plan on using it for camera equipment? If not, then you should consider something else on eBay that meets your size requirements, with a lower price tag.  You can add a purse organizer, instead of paying a premium for a feature (extra padding, slots) that you won't be using for it's intended purpose.
I'm all about paying for quality and it lasting a while, but the problem with purses is that  they are usually a fashion accessory. As such, they usually don't last because they go out of fashion.
Tips for buying something that will last (with high use) :
* Good quality, leather and crocodile are durable ( yes, there are some man made materials that will last but they too have an environmental impact) 
* Black or Brown -they match with most outfits and will likely get used more often than eggplant
* Classic style- stay away from what's in this season
* Use a removable insert/ purse organizer, that way you can maintain your organization with other purses.

You can buy 2-3 nice used ( or new at an outlet) leather purses in various colors/styles + a good $10-$12 insert for the price of the one you linked above.

If you are a photographer and need to protect your equipment,  then go for it.  The risk is that this is a fairly "new" product so it's hard to gauge how long it will really last with frequent use.

I'm not a purse collector, but I do believe that you should have at least 5 types of bag : everyday bag, a canvas tote, an evening bag/clutch, a classic black bag, and backpack/day-pack.

Good Luck!

gildedbutterfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "We two alone will...laugh at gilded butterflies"
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »

cool! good to know! I hadn't heard of that brand. I wonder what material they use and how you could identify it in another purse. I feel like a lot of overpriced hipster stuff is labeled "vegan leather" to make it sound legit when it's really just PVC :(

Good question, and I don't know. :) I do know that a few years ago, they started making their lining out of recycled plastic water bottles, and it's a nice, soft suede-ish texture. (It's not in my older, everyday bag, but a small clutch I bought a couple of years ago and only use when going to events.)

Technically PVC is "vegan leather," but you're right that it's often not very good quality. Matt&Nat have been around for decades, and have a very good reputation, but beyond that, I'm not sure how to know. If you're looking at them in person, there does seem to be a discernible difference in quality, though; I can tell the "good" stuff from the not-so-good stuff. Unfortunately, the good stuff often comes with a higher price tag. For that reason, stuff like belts that I won't wear often, I usually go with cheap-o hipster PVC. But for something that you'll use a lot, well worth it! Especially (as others have said) if you can find it on ebay.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
I'm willing to spend on a purse, as someone said upthread, because I carry it every single day for years. I do not have a "wardrobe" of purses. My purse cost $200, is black leather, on the smallish side, and is cross body to keep my hands free for picking up children or grocery bags, etc. It is a designer bag, I suppose, but the logo is very small, and I didn't buy it for that. It holds exactly what I want to carry on a daily basis, and virtually nothing more. (Small wallet, cell phone and charger cord, eyeglasses case, small hairbrush, a pen, keys, and occasionally a checkbook. If I have to carry more, I take a tote. If I have to wear evening clothes (once every 50 years, lol), I have a couple small, pretty evening bags circa 1978 that I use. And that's it. I've dutifully looked in the Goodwill for bags, and never had a bit of luck. I ordered mine from Zappos--if I had not wanted to keep it, the return would have been easy.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
No way would I pay anything close to that price for a purse. You should feel free to buy it if you want to, but don't try to justify it because it isn't justifiable. We all buy things that aren't justifiable in pragmatic terms sometimes,* but I think we're better off and healthier if we acknowledge them as such (and if we give ourselves permission to do it guilt-free on rare occasions).

* I do it, too; mine just isn't purses because purses to me are the annoyance I sometimes have to put up with because modern clothing designed for women usually lacks decent pockets.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
I just can't bring myself to spend a lot of money on a purse.

I've carried the same purse for at least 5 years and it's in good shape still.  And I am HARSH on my purse.
It's a $30.00 Baggallini: I can wear over shoulder or convert it to a fanny pack.
It has a zipper that allows me to completely open it all the way down the sides and it holds an amazing amount of crap for its size.
I've also sent it through the washer dozens of times.
It looks like my model's been discontinued but this one looks similar.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D6EGDRG/ref=cts_ap_3_fbt?pi=SL110

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »
I have used a Sherpani bag since I finished with the diaper bag. 

Can I just throw in an "oh holy lord, thank god I don't have to lug around a diaper bag anymore" please?

Anyway, I don't like leather because I feel like it doesn't last, and is heavier/bulkier.  I always go for sturdy fabric bags that are washable. 

This is about what I have (mine is a few years old): http://sherpani.com/sherpani-milli.aspx

They also have non cross body ones but IMO they are pretty ugly. 

Price is still kind of crazy, but I think I used a 20% off rei coupon.  I don't know if rei still carries the brand.  You can also get them in amazon for free shipping if not a lower price.  Mine has held up very well and I abuse the crap out of it.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
Also, I've found a lot of bags (leather, pvc or fabric) have the edges finished with a sort of rubber which always peels off and gets ugly long before the bag wears out. I avoid that now, but it rules out a *lot* of bags.

(If anyone knows a way to fix it, or a good source for replacement handbag straps, which usually go first, I'm interested to hear!)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
It looks to me like you will have a shoulder problem in 10-20 years if you carry a bag that big and heavy.

Señora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
I guess I am just wanting to be sure, I don't want to order it and then regret it, I have been sitting on this decision for a few days now.

So if you have a very well made purse and know it will last forever

Three comments:

I sit on discretionary spending desisions over $50 for months, not days.

MMM is a weird place to get validation on this purchase, are you sure you didn't want to get talked out of it?

Purses don't last forever in daily use.  You might get double the lifespan out of a super fancy purse over a used/cheaper one.

lizzigee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
I guess I am just wanting to be sure, I don't want to order it and then regret it, I have been sitting on this decision for a few days now.

So if you have a very well made purse and know it will last forever

Three comments:

I sit on discretionary spending desisions over $50 for months, not days.

MMM is a weird place to get validation on this purchase, are you sure you didn't want to get talked out of it?

Purses don't last forever in daily use.  You might get double the lifespan out of a super fancy purse over a used/cheaper one.

i bought a leather purse/satchel thing about 18 years ago. Don't know the brand. it has been used literally thousands and thousands of times since then. All i've had to do is stitch a hole that developed in the lining. It cost about $120 I think, and looks like iy will be good for another couple of decades. Is getting that lovely old burnished leather look.  So if you're satisfied the purse you want is sturdy and you won't worry about it 'going out of style' then buy it if you it want it.  sometimes saving every cent is not what life isall about. Assuming you have thought about it and made a considered choice... excuse typos, right arm in cast, am shitty left handed typist, apparently

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:36 PM »
So in researching for the exact purse I want, I came across a camera bag, well made and beautiful and I love how versatile it is and keep everything organized.
It's huuuuuuuge!! :O What do you carry with you?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 01:36:03 AM »
http://canada.roots.com/SideSaddleInTribeLeatherWithBrassHardware/RootsOriginalflatbags//18019694,default,pd.html?cgid=leatherTribeLeatherCollection&selectedColor=024

I bought myself this leather purse a few months ago, and hope its a BIFL or at least that it will last me a mighty long time.

I carried a diaper bag for many years, and was happy to go down to something smaller....but not too small.  I am concerned that the bag posted by the OP is a bit "diaper-bagish" and that she might be sad, down the road, to have spent so much $$$ on a bag that may be too large to function as an every day purse.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 06:15:52 AM »
I'm not much of a purse person, I generally only carry a small zippered pouch. But I'm going to comment anyway on a few things:

I have a twice handed down coach purse that is easily 12 years old. Only the strap and bottom are leather and it is in decent shape still. I'm not into labels, but some of those are definitely well made. A used one is most likely a good buy.

If anyone is looking for a girly, well made laptop bag that doesn't look like a laptop bag, check these out https://www.alesyabags.com/shop/product/technically-green/ (shameless plug, I went to HS with Alesya).

Also, I once saw a purse made from seatbelt straps...seemed very durable. It was pretty - the slight sheen and stripes even made it a little dressy looking. Check on Etsy, I think that is were she got it. Great option if anti-leather.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »
http://canada.roots.com/SideSaddleInTribeLeatherWithBrassHardware/RootsOriginalflatbags//18019694,default,pd.html?cgid=leatherTribeLeatherCollection&selectedColor=024

I bought myself this leather purse a few months ago, and hope its a BIFL or at least that it will last me a mighty long time.

I carried a diaper bag for many years, and was happy to go down to something smaller....but not too small.  I am concerned that the bag posted by the OP is a bit "diaper-bagish" and that she might be sad, down the road, to have spent so much $$$ on a bag that may be too large to function as an every day purse.

LOVE that bag.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »

I have a twice handed down coach purse that is easily 12 years old. Only the strap and bottom are leather and it is in decent shape still. I'm not into labels, but some of those are definitely well made. A used one is most likely a good buy.

Yep, I have to plug a leather, Coach, gently used bag one more time. There have been lots of comments about leather not lasting, painted edges peeling, etc.  Not a problem with the bag I have; however, it's probably a $600+ bag retail, not a $200 bag.  $200 leather bags really aren't that great, and aren't made to last.  Seek out a bag that is made from tougher cowhide, not one of the really soft, "slouchy" leathers that's meant to break in quickly. I see my bag lasting another 20 years, easily, with daily use. With five years of daily use, there is not so much as a stitch out of place, and the leather shows no structural wear whatsoever, just "break in"/softening.  So $160/25 years = $2.40 cents per year, I don't have to shop for another bag again during my working career, and haven't thrown a cheaper, less durable bag in the landfill every few years.

Since I have horses, I deal a lot with leather equipment, and getting the good stuff used is the way to for long-term economy and usefulness.  Plus good quality, well-conditioned leather just feels wonderful in the hand.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »
I gave up on traditional purses a few years ago.  I'm really digging my messenger bag from Manhattan Portage.  I've had it for 2 years now and it still looks brand new.  It was relatively inexpensive and wears like a rock!

http://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/

They have some small sized messenger bags and totes that might fit the bill for you.  They go on sale on Zappos and Amazon quite frequently as well.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
I vote no, based on how heavy it looks plus the price tag (of course).  I like crossbody, with zippers, like Baggalini. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
The two bags I've had that lasted the longest were both from L.L. Bean. One was canvas with leather trim (so not super classy, but honestly it looked pretty good), one was leather. I've been carrying the leather bag for a handful of years and it looks great, with absolutely no maintenance. The canvas bag is still going strong although I don't carry it daily. Neither cost more than $150 (the canvas much less), although they might be pricier these days. FYI.

puppyrunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »
I'm a newbie on this forum, but I thought I'd weigh in. You might want to check out Levenger bags. Great quality and no logos! I needed a pretty big bag that I can use as a purse, tote or travel bag so I researched and invested in this St. Tropez bag in the dark brown and I love it. Great quality, no marks on the leather even though I'm a bit hard on bags. The Mustachian part - I don't pay retail so I found one in their outlet that was half-price ($99). http://www.levenger.com/Bags-11/Women-s-Bags-1001/Totes-1007/St.-Tropez-Leather-Tote-Core-5851.aspx

Hope this link works. Anyway, hope this is helpful.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
I only carry a purse when I don't need to carry much (wallet, phone, keys). I've had the same Old Navy black fabric bag for -- 10 years? 15? something like that -- and it still looks almost new. I think it cost $15. It has a zipper + flap with a magnetic snap, a small pocket inside, an adjustable shoulder strap that I can wear either cross-body or on the shoulder. If I need to carry more stuff than will fit easily in the purse, I use my backpack (Jansport -- I think it was $30 -- also black). Not very stylish, but neither am I.

If this purse ever wears out, my plan is to use it as a pattern and make another one (I know how to sew).

I am not enough into purses to spend $200 on one in any case, but that's just me.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 02:15:26 PM »
UPDATE:

I went back and forth for a long time, I really love those Kelly moore bags and if I did a ton of traveling, I would snatch it up, wouldn't it be the perfect carry on? But I don't and I didn't want anything that large. I went to kohl's to see what they had, I had a $10 off coupon and of course they were running a sale and and extra 15% off, I know the same thing they do every week. Anyways, I hadn't been in a place to really try out purses in a long time, so my 8yo was a huge help and I told him exactly what I was looking for and we scoured them all and he found one that had all the features I needed, it ended up being $45 out the door and they have a great return policy, basically for any reason.

It is a simple Vera Wang, I'm sure it's not leather, but since this is my first purse in a long time, I thought I would ease into it.

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I still might get a nicer one at some point, but will probably either wait until I stumble onto it, or this one wears out. 

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
The one I bought is very similar to this one http://canada.roots.com/womens-leather-shoulder-bags/daily-double-prince/18010608,default,pd.html?cgid=leatherViewAllWomensBags&selectedColor=N48 so really good to know, if I love it and want to upgrade to leather, it is available, thanks for that link to the Roots store.

marmoset

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »
Just tossing out my experience, which is to always buy things like purses used on Ebay. So many people shop and then purge, so you can get lovely items that are essentially new for less than 50% of retail -- in many cases, a LOT less than 50% of retail. Doing this allows me to have higher-quality items that last longer, which is better for the planet and my wallet!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »
Just tossing out my experience, which is to always buy things like purses used on Ebay. So many people shop and then purge, so you can get lovely items that are essentially new for less than 50% of retail -- in many cases, a LOT less than 50% of retail. Doing this allows me to have higher-quality items that last longer, which is better for the planet and my wallet!

+1  It's my favorite place to buy jeans.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
Love it. I have neck and shoulder pain so I could never go with something that large but if you plan for it to be your main purse for 10+ years I think it is worth it. Get it in a neutral color though.
I spent a similar amount on my fossil bag about 5 years ago and it will last me at least another 5 :)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
I've carried the same purse for at least 5 years and it's in good shape still.  And I am HARSH on my purse.
It's a $30.00 Baggallini: I can wear over shoulder or convert it to a fanny pack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D6EGDRG/ref=cts_ap_3_fbt?pi=SL110

I have a $30 Baggallini cross body bag too.  It's not the most fashionable thing in the world but it's been going strong for years.  I am looking for a new purse as I want a larger cross body bag for day travel and such.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  It seems to be really difficult find larger sized cross body bags that aren't especially ugly...and I have low fashion standards!  I tend to prefer really low bling stuff so maybe the less frilly the better.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:57:30 PM by dodojojo »

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 06:05:45 PM »
UPDATE:

I went back and forth for a long time, I really love those Kelly moore bags and if I did a ton of traveling, I would snatch it up, wouldn't it be the perfect carry on? But I don't and I didn't want anything that large. I went to kohl's to see what they had, I had a $10 off coupon and of course they were running a sale and and extra 15% off, I know the same thing they do every week. Anyways, I hadn't been in a place to really try out purses in a long time, so my 8yo was a huge help and I told him exactly what I was looking for and we scoured them all and he found one that had all the features I needed, it ended up being $45 out the door and they have a great return policy, basically for any reason.

It is a simple Vera Wang, I'm sure it's not leather, but since this is my first purse in a long time, I thought I would ease into it.

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I still might get a nicer one at some point, but will probably either wait until I stumble onto it, or this one wears out.

Glad you found something you like at a cheaper price.   

I recently replaced a handbag that I had used for over 15 years.  It was my only purse during that time.  I paid $25 for it way back then.  It's replacement is a no-name, leather purse that I found on clearance for $50.  I always look for something that has organizational features and is medium in size.  I hope this one lasts 15 years like my last one did.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 02:42:50 AM »
Craigslist is a great place to look for purses, too.  I found my small leather Coach one for $20.  I am not impressed by the name - EVERYONE I know has a Coach purse.  Kind of weird actually, but it is obviously very high quality and sturdy.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
Craigslist is a great place to look for purses, too.  I found my small leather Coach one for $20.  I am not impressed by the name - EVERYONE I know has a Coach purse.  Kind of weird actually, but it is obviously very high quality and sturdy.

I have a simple black coach purse I can not give away for $20, I have tried selling it multiple times on a Facebook yard sale site, no luck, maybe I should try CL

It seems that everyone trying to sell a Coach purse on the garage sale site are all the ugly ones with the C's all over them and they go fast, I guess those are impressive?