Author Topic: Question for some mustachian teachers that itemize  (Read 2831 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Question for some mustachian teachers that itemize
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
Quick Question:

I might be in a position that makes it finally worthwhile to itemize deductions for the 2013 tax year and had a question about business expenses.

As an educator, I often find myself buying work supplies out of pocket. I am allowed to deduct up to 250 above the line with the educator expense deduction. My question about this is how does this work with itemizing? Is there an efficient way to organize this? Would it be better to put it on the EED or itemize as a business expense (if that is possible)?

Any helpful from the bearded teachers out there would be appreciated.

Thanks!

crazy jane

• Bristles
Re: Question for some mustachian teachers that itemize
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »
To my knowledge, you are not allowed to claim educator expenses as a business deduction.

I never itemize the $250, but I do keep the receipts. I claim it on line 23 form 1040.

Also, I write checks when I purchase items for fundraisers and claim them as a charitable deduction.  I rarely do this as the items are usually overpriced junk that I do not need, but occasionally I do donate to a coat drive or some other good cause.

I hope this is helpful.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
The IRS Topic (458) on the $250/person deduction: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc458.html
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
The $250 is direct credit and you should def. take it if you spend it. Keep good records; anything over $250 can go as unreimbursed employee expenses if you itemize.

I don't have line numbers handy since it's been several years since it was worthwhile for us to itemize, but look up "unreimbursed employee expenses" specifically in the Schedule A instructions.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:34:42 AM »
The $250 is direct credit and you should def. take it if you spend it. Keep good records; anything over $250 can go as unreimbursed employee expenses if you itemize.

I don't have line numbers handy since it's been several years since it was worthwhile for us to itemize, but look up "unreimbursed employee expenses" specifically in the Schedule A instructions.

This is what I was trying to get at. I meant employee expenses and not business expenses. Not sure how long we will find it worthwhile to itemize for long either but good to know.

Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!