Author Topic: Question for Kiwis - How much does your grocery spend cost?  (Read 4117 times)

nktokyo

• Bristles
I'm a kiwi but haven't lived there for years... I have a business partner that spends close to $2K (NZD) per MONTH on groceries, a figure I think is absolutely insane. Couple in their 40s with 2 kids. I know eating costs a lot more in NZ than when I grew up but I remember my family spending $150-200 to feed 5 of us per week and they don't exactly scrimp.

I'd like to throw the gauntlet down to him, there's no way my grocery spend in frikking central Tokyo should be half what they spend... but it is. Can I get some numbers please? Cheers!

nz

• Stubble
Re: Question for Kiwis - How much does your grocery spend cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »
I live in a household of 2 adults and2 teenagers. We spend about $100NZ a week on food........BUT......and it's a big but......we live on a couple of acres and produce nearly all our own meat and the bulk of our veges. So most of our grocery bill is on things like tea, coffee , soap and other stuff we can't grow.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:24:54 PM by nz »

living the lifestyle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »
On my own I would probably spend around $100 a week on food for myself and the dog, now with 2 of us it's probably more like $150 a week. I couldn't imagine spending more than $250 a week on food for 2 adults & two kids, $300 max and that would be pushing it.

There is no way that $2k a month is a necessary monthly spend in NZ, it's more expensive than other countries but it's not that bad.

lizzigee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »
Used to be about $200 a week when we had two teenage boys starving at home with us but since the human drainpipes moved out it has dropped hugely. Grocery shop is now about $130 week for two adults - includes cleaning items and beer etc, but very little meat as we get this from my parents farm.  We could cut waaay back on this if we had to though, hubby is partial to a few treats.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »
Family of four (2 adults, 2 small children), $150 a week, $650 a month (inc toiletries, cleaning products and nappies), and we eat well. It had started to creep upto $200 a week, but thanks to this forum I've stayed focused. Additionally we could easily trim $20 from that budget (I love but don't require smoked salmon bagels every weekend).

My top tips.
- Eat less meat.
- Less is more when it comes to beer/wine.
- Buy in season fruit and vegetables. I love tomatoes, but at $9 a kg they can get fucked. I'll stick to canned ones for $0.65/400g thank you.
- Many frozen fruit and vegetables are perfectly acceptable, and allows one to buy out of season products at an acceptable price. Also good if your the type of persons that takes a while to use up fresh veggies and typically ends up throwing them away (this is us).
- Avoid per packaged meals.
- If you don't buy it you can't eat it. This philosophy helps me resist buying cookies, chips, cakes etc. if we want something like that we have to make it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:48:10 AM by gooki »

the lorax

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »
We spend around $475 a fortnight at the moment for 2 adults, one kid. That includes cleaning products, nappies etc but no booze. It's the worst time of the year though for getting stuff out of the garden so would generally be lower.
Will also be lower once our little fella finally decides he's had enough of nappies.....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!