Author Topic: Question about credit card price protection - Insulation  (Read 3028 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Question about credit card price protection - Insulation
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:35 AM »
Hello everyone... Trying to see if anyone has experienced this.

I am in the plans of insulating my attic this spring. However, my are has expensive cellulose at 12-13$ a bag while other parts of the country can be had as cheap as 4-5$ even if it is the same store!!

I live in a 1200 sq feet ranch house, in the Northeast, so I am trying to get about R50 up there.

To have R50 however it asks for about 80 bags which at the price in my store translates to almost $1000 and make the break even point more than a decade.

My thinking was, to just buy the thing at $12 and then a few days later send the credit card company the website/ad of a location that has cellulose for $5 so they can cut me a check for the difference.

The thing i am not sure though, is if the matter that pricing is regional with this store, if it voids the price matching?

Any experience on that? I know price matching works since i have used it before this last Thanksgiving to buy Thanks giving door buster deals before Thanksgiving and then just price matching the Baclk Friday price with the credit card company.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Question about credit card price protection - Insulation
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
This is awesome - I had no idea price protection was a thing on credit cards.  Apparently one of my Discover cards has a pretty decent price protection policy, so I need to read more about this.  I wish I could help w/ your specific question, but thanks for turning me on to this!

Yeah almost all of them have it... usually I do my Christmas shopping around September and October and dont care about prices... I just keep my receipts and then around Black Friday/Christmas I price match.

Actually I got Best Buys doorbuster TV ... I went there a week before Black Friday, bought 4 Toshibas at 450 dollars each ... on Black Friday they were selling for 199 ... I filed it on my CC company and they sent me a check for $1000 ....

Also it was even better since Best Buy also price matches their own price! Around Christmas the TV was selling for 350 dollars...So I went to Best Buy and they gave me $400 dollars back for the difference.

In essence I got a Toshiba 4K UHD 55" TV for 99 dollars each :D I kept one and sold the other 3 for 350 each.

I knwo it works - usally cards allow 90-120 days after you purchase of protection... but not sure how this would go if they would compare the lcoation I bought vs the location that is offered.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:31:06 PM by MrSal »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
That's probably some level of fraud. I'd see if there is a better solution; ie, an online retailer.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
fraud where?

I am using it to price match how can it be fraud?

Fraud would be if I grabbed a screenshot or took a picture of it and photoshopped a random price lower than what i had bought.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »
fraud where?

Fraud would be if I grabbed a screenshot or took a picture of it and photoshopped a random price lower than what i had bought.

Why buy the $12 batts if you can buy the $5 batts? If you have to pay for shipping, it's not the same, is it?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
fraud where?

It's fraud if it's premeditated.

Big difference between: You go shopping, buy for $X, then see the same item within a week at $Y;

and: you know $Y exists, but you buy for $X and then claim on insurance.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
fraud where?

Why buy the $12 batts if you can buy the $5 batts? If you have to pay for shipping, it's not the same, is it?

I cant buy the 5$ one because they only ship locally to the store in question which is not close to me. All around me is $12