Author Topic: Question about CL ad...scam?  (Read 7985 times)

CharChar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Question about CL ad...scam?
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/rej/4156653217.html

I see these kinds of ads all over CL, but each one is a little different. I would assume its a scam or requires a big chunk of money up front. Anyone here know anything about it?

Thanks!

DTown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Question about CL ad...scam?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »
Looks very scam-y to me. No qualifications needed, over $6k/week, and telecommuting is ok??? There is going to be a very big catch with that :)

I suppose there isn't much harm in checking it out as long as you don't give them any critical information (SSN, bank account numbers, mother's maiden name, etc). Don't spend any money in the process either. Nearly any employer will pay for their own recruiting costs.

I would just ignore them.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »
That ad uses a lot of words to say very little.  What's the name of the company?  Too mysterious.  I bet it's a time-share high-pressure sales commission type gig.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
Betcha they make you pay them for "training"/"coaching"/"mentoring"/a course/etc.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:54:15 AM »
>$6,850/wk

Scam.

CharChar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
Ya I would never pay for something like this. I bet it's just like those "wellness coach" ads. Just thought I'd see if I was missing something. It sure would be nice to find a credible version of something like this though! Not necessarily for that much money, but for the knowledge..

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
Ya I would never pay for something like this. I bet it's just like those "wellness coach" ads. Just thought I'd see if I was missing something. It sure would be nice to find a credible version of something like this though! Not necessarily for that much money, but for the knowledge..

Pretty much all the real estate knowledge you need can be found absolutely free at your local library, local REIA meetup groups, and biggerpockets.com
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CharChar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »

Pretty much all the real estate knowledge you need can be found absolutely free at your local library, local REIA meetup groups, and biggerpockets.com
[/quote]

Ya I've done lots of reading on the subject. I'm just ready for some hands on stuff!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »

Ya I've done lots of reading on the subject. I'm just ready for some hands on stuff!

Well that starts as soon as you want it to then; you shouldn't need anyone else to hold your hand, right?  (No offense intended with that, I mean that genuinely.)

CharChar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »

Well that starts as soon as you want it to then; you shouldn't need anyone else to hold your hand, right?  (No offense intended with that, I mean that genuinely.)

None taken! And you are absolutely right. Sometimes you just need to dive in right? Stop "learning and planning" and start DOING. I think MMM mentioned this in one of his posts. I've always been more of a planner and less of a doer and I've been trying to change that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 11:16:12 AM »
Exactly!  :)

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
If you look at the graphic above, it mentions "Renatus" a couple times. Following up on their website:

"    Generate income today: Renatus will pay you to refer students to our real estate education programs. It’s quick and easy to become your own boss as an Independent Marketing Affiliate and start earning income from $1,000 to $6,850 per student!
    Build long-term wealth: While you’re earning income through Affiliate Marketing, you can utilize the educational courses to learn how to profitably invest in real estate. Your residual cash-flow can help fuel your real estate investments.  "

So basically just an affiliate referral program for their overpriced "education program". The program is not well regarded over at biggerpockets.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
Yes it is absolutely a scam. It will be a high pressure sales pitch for real estate "education". I went to a meeting (sales pitch) in 2007 by Nouveau Riche (same idea, different name, maybe even the same people). Their presentation was laughable and the "tuition" prices ridiculous ($16k per student). At the end of the meeting I was surprised to see so many interested people.

To give an example of how crazy their program was, they had a "concierge website" for members with such services as "click a mouse, buy a house", where you could buy a far away property with a mouse click and it was pre-screened to be a good investment. No need for due diligence. Many of them were condos in Florida. I think we know what happened to the people who bought those.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!