Author Topic: Quality/price: best place for flannel sheets?  (Read 6572 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Quality/price: best place for flannel sheets?
« on: December 12, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »
Specific caveat: I personally need sources available in Canada.

Ok, so: I live in a farmhouse in rural Quebec. Buried under snow a good half of the year, with North winds picking up speed off the lake and hitting my front door. We mostly heat with wood (electric back-up) and so it gets chilly overnight, which we prefer as long as we can stay warm... which is where good-quality flannel sheets come in. They make a HUGE difference.

At the moment, we have the set we bought at Garnet Hill 5.5 years ago. Considering that, for 6 months of the year, they're all that we use, they've lasted remarkably well. However, I've darned 2 tiny holes in them and they're starting to have bare batches and, while not URGENTLY in need of replacing, theyre not likely to keep us toasty warm for another 2 years of heavy use.

So. What's the best quality/price ratio I can get at a Canadian-accessible source?

If I get these sheets at Garnet Hill again (http://www.garnethill.com/paintbrush-flannel-cases/bedding-home/the-flannel-shop/10377?categoryId=126586) I'm looking at almost 200$CAD of sheets+duties+shipping... which isn't bad for 5 years of toasty warm nights in freezing weather, but money is tight right now and I'd much rather not spend that. Is there another place I. Can get thick lush flannel for cheaper?

Other good sources of flannel I know: LLBean (even more expensive). The Bay has nice sheets, but I don't know about their flannel... still, now we're in the 90 range, which is somewhat more acceptable (http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/four-piece-flannel-sheet-set-0111-f16788gh119--24).

I've checked out Homesense (no flannel in King sizes) and thrift stores (no king sizes at all).

Guys. What am I missing? Is there a source I'm somehow lacking?

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Quality/price: best place for flannel sheets?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:52:57 AM »
I know you said Canadian-specific, but since these are something you use six months out of the year, would it be worth it to just go with LL Bean? They are the only flannel sheets I buy--have had them in multiple sizes on multiple beds over the years--they are top quality and last forever. I'm in the U.S. though.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:01:04 AM »
I know you said Canadian-specific, but since these are something you use six months out of the year, would it be worth it to just go with LL Bean? They are the only flannel sheets I buy--have had them in multiple sizes on multiple beds over the years--they are top quality and last forever. I'm in the U.S. though.

Well, free shipping there... but after duties and exchange, it's hitting approximately 270$. Which... is really not an option right now.

And I sat this while wearing an LLBean flannel nightgown, so it's not that I'm unaware of the quality.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:45 AM »
Ha, ha--I am sitting here in an LL Bean flannel nightgown, too. I hope a Canadian will come along to offer you better suggestions for your sheets.  : D

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:27:31 AM »
I love LLBean flannel - last night I wore their flannel nightgown and snuggled in their flannel sheets and it was all so cozy and comfortable :-)

Have you tried Costco?  I don't have personal experience with their flannel but their stuff is always good quality.  I think I saw Portuguese flannel sheets there last time I was in the store.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 06:53:45 AM »
I love LLBean flannel - last night I wore their flannel nightgown and snuggled in their flannel sheets and it was all so cozy and comfortable :-)

Have you tried Costco?  I don't have personal experience with their flannel but their stuff is always good quality.  I think I saw Portuguese flannel sheets there last time I was in the store.

That's a great suggestion! Last time I check they only had Queen-sized sheets, but that was also a few months ago, and I was intending to go to Costco tomorrow for a few other things. I'll add it to my list to check out!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 07:12:04 AM »
The good thing about Costco too is their return policy.  If you are not happy with the sheets, they will give you your money back :-)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »
I don't know about Target, but in the US a lot of stores deeply discount flannel sheets right after Christmas, especially vaguely Christmas-y patterns.

barndoor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
I actually think Target has great flannel sheets. I have had mine for years and I have brutal winters too (northern Wisconsin). I just bought a new set after 5-6 years for $18 on Black Friday.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
Yeah... but Target isn't available in Canada. Used to be, and then then muddled up the opening so hard that it failed miserably. Maybe Sears... Sears is as close as you get to Target around here.

For the record: when Target WAS open, I got a set of cotton sheets there. 3 years ago. Maybe 40$CAD. They're GREAT. They hold up to everything, they go around the ENTIRE mattress, they're comfortable and haven't pilled... +++ fan of Target, just can't get it. (Oh, and nifty thing: on King-sized fitted sheets, each side has a little lable that either says 'top/bottom' or 'side', so you can actually figure out which way your sheet goes when you make the bed, without trial and error. So simple. So smart. So appreciated every single time.)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »
Bed Bath and Beyond has their flannel sheets on sale.  I've never used them, but they seem to get good reviews.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 08:11:24 PM »
I second Costco. We picked up a King size set for what couldn't have been more than $30 about three years ago and they're holding up great.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 11:56:29 PM »
I love my LL Bean flannel sheets. Maybe combine a trip to the US and get them shipped to your hotel? Have someone mule them over for you? Wait for a 20% off sale?

I am typing this while lying under my LL Bean sheets. Heavenly!

Edited to add: eBay maybe? Also, Costco is a good suggestion.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
I also vote for after Christmas.  It's only a few weeks away, so it's not like it's a big wait, and I'd expect you could pick up a set for $10-20. 

UNLESS you want a king set.  Somehow king sets are always in short supply. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »

I tried January sales last year (half-heartedly) and didn't see ANY king sets so... I'm not holding my breath.

BUT. Everyone who recommended Costco? Bless you. Flannel sheets found at 50% of the previously-cheapest option I'd found (which was already a 30% off sale price...). Quality looks good (and warranty/returns will be applied otherwise). 44$ for a set of decent flannel sheets for king-sized bed - done! Thanks!!

I also picked up a 20$ set for my daughters bed, assuming we convince her to remove herself from her crib and into her actual bed sometime soon. Anyone got advice on that one? :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »
No one has mentioned Lands End, so I will.   They have 5 and 6 oz flannel sheets that are fantastic.  (I am assuming they will ship to Canada).  The sheets are not cheap but they are worth every penny.  We have a set that we got 8 years ago while living in Wisconsin, and they still look brand new. 

They also have flannel comforter covers.  If you haven't slept ON flannel sheets, and UNDER a down comforter that is also wrapped in flannel, you haven't lived yet.  :)  Our bedroom temps used to go down into the 50s at night, and that combo kept us warm and cozy.   

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 12:00:55 PM »
I was just looking at lands end flannel sheets last night!  There's a 50% off one item coupon code (SLED, pin 1894) and I was tempted to get the 6 oz. flannel sheets, usually $189 for a full set, $94.50 w/ the coupon.  The 5 oz sheets are $99 for a full set, so only $49.50 with the coupon.  DH talked me out of it, though.