Author Topic: Quality sofas-any recommendations?  (Read 12921 times)

Kaydedid

• Stubble
Quality sofas-any recommendations?
« on: February 03, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »
When husband and I got married, we did the stereotypical American furniture upgrade thing and bought a brand new sofa (to be fair, the former one had pieces falling out of the cracked leather).  We bought a cheaper couch with recliners on both ends and a middle part that flipped down.  While the design is really handy, especially for a small living room, the couch is terribly made.  Four years later, the frame is warped and sagging, bits of foam are randomly appearing on the carpet, and sitting on it for any length of time exacerbates some existing back issues of mine.  We looked into making our own sofa, but it looks like these are generally more like padded benches, which isn't great for the back issues.  After doing some searching, it sounds like the sofa industry in the US has been outsourced the last 10-20 years, and quality has suffered.  We're keeping an eye out for 90's-era couches on Craigslist, but wouldn't be opposed to buying something new that could last us decades (minus upholstery wear).  Does anyone have any recommendations for brands, styles, what to look for?  The recliners on the ends were a lifesaver when I was pregnant, but from reviews it looks like this style doesn't hold up well. 

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
Re: Quality sofas-any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »
I like Macy's quality (lasts like new for years.) they periodically run sales up to 50% off.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:34:03 PM »
I like Temple for upholstered brands. It is made in the U.S. And the quality is good. I like Paliser for leather.

browneyedgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
Crate and Barrel. For shizzle.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »
Sounds crazy, but try Ikea........... if they still make upholstered furniture, it's decent quality.  I have a 15 year-old Ikea upholstered chair (delivered fully assembled) that is an absolute favorite at my house.  And super comfortable.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:58:39 PM »
West elm, Hendredon, Michael Gold, Ethan Allen. Generally, unfortunately anything made with bonded leather is probably poorly constructed in terms of frame and materials (foam, padding, etc).  Additionally bonded leather does not hold up at all.

Unmustashian, but I bought a Michael Gold sectional 17 years ago. It was maybe $3000. It has been through 2 kids, 4 moves, countless spills, cats, dogs, etc. it still feels good and, shockingly, looks good (tan upholstery). I even took the cushions apart and machine washed them and they still look good. One day I will have it recovered and it will continue to be a great sofa. It has down filled cushions and they are lovely and comfy.

Choose a neutral darkish color, non reclining, plain style (won't go out of fashion) and buy the best quality you can. Craigslist is often good for furniture. It's kind of like buying $150 shoes that last for years vs $20 shoes you have to replace twice a year.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »
Sounds crazy, but try Ikea........... if they still make upholstered furniture, it's decent quality.  I have a 15 year-old Ikea upholstered chair (delivered fully assembled) that is an absolute favorite at my house.  And super comfortable.

I thought Ikea upholstered furniture was hideously cheap. Simply awful. I sat on sofas and chairs. Really, they are the worst. The hardwood furniture can be ok. sometimes.

There was one, just one, sort of old fashioned sofa at Ikea that was fairly comfortable ad a nice price, but it had no style.

There are plenty of cool sofas online, try Joybird. It's got Mid Mod furniture. I just ordered two chairs from them.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »
Sofa U Love. Made by hand in Los Angeles. Durable. Easily customizable. Ours is 10 years old and still going strong (multiple kids, cats, dog, busy house, etc.)

Here's the website: http://www.sofaulove.com/

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:24 AM »
Not to muddy the waters but something else that manufacturers are finally doing is discontinuing flame retardant chemicals in the manufacturing process. This is only within the last couple of years and not all retailers are doing. I know that West Elm and Crate & Barrel (definitely not the cheapest) are two that have implemented "safer" couches. They are labeled so you have to be careful when you're buying.

When you look at the health effects of flame retardants and also consider how useless they really are, it would be hard to buy a new couch that you're going to use for the next 10-20 years and not get the healthiest one available. The only downside is that not every manufacturer is on board and the limited selection means higher pricing. It's really a shame that to go "green" or "healthy" you end up paying more even when they're simplifying the manufacturing process or using less material! We shouldn't have all these chemicals in the first place!

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
I definitely recommend Lazy Boy furniture.  They are made in Michigan, and that is all we have ever bought.  They are very comfortable and never really wear out.  The only reason we got rid of them was because they went out of style.  And even then, they were given to my kids who still use them, and 2 recliners are at our cottage.  Not sure on availability outside of the Midwest.  My original couches and chairs are probably over 25 years old and still are comfortable and the fabric is not worn down.

My parents have gone through numerous couches and recliners in the meantime because they buy other brands and they just don't hold up.

Miss Prim

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:02:54 AM »
I find Ikea sofas to be uncomfortable too. They use a fairly high density foam in the cushions, so they are stiff to sit on. The advantage of the stiff foam is that it means the cushion will hold its shape for longer, the disadvantage is that it isn't squishy. The frame construction is iffy and the fabrics tend not to be the most durable. I do think that their $1000 sofas are better than their $400 sofas. You do get what you pay for in terms of quality.

ohana

• Stubble
    • An Ocean Lover in Maine
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:09:38 AM »
Where do you live?

If you're anywhere near Boston, I recommend Jordan's furniture.  Their salespeople don't work on commission, which makes for a pleasant shopping experience, and they have a great selection -- most made in America. 

Otherwise, I like Lazyboy.  They have a lot more than recliners.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:06 AM »
Lee Furniture makes really good quality sofas-- they make furniture for companies like Restoration Hardware.  Our down cushion "chair and a half" is one of the most comfortable couches that I've ever sat on, had it on my mind ever since I sank into one at a friend's place :)

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
I definitely recommend Lazy Boy furniture.  They are made in Michigan, and that is all we have ever bought.  They are very comfortable and never really wear out.  The only reason we got rid of them was because they went out of style.  And even then, they were given to my kids who still use them, and 2 recliners are at our cottage.  Not sure on availability outside of the Midwest.  My original couches and chairs are probably over 25 years old and still are comfortable and the fabric is not worn down.

My parents have gone through numerous couches and recliners in the meantime because they buy other brands and they just don't hold up.

Miss Prim

Interesting... I had a very different experience with Lazy Boy furniture. I purchased a straight sectional and an armchair in 2007 and they were just falling apart by the time we replaced them late last year. The microfiber fabric on one piece was starting to wear through (I had washed the removable parts so will take the blame for that, but even the sides and armrests were wearing) and the tapestry-type (idk furniture terminology, but it was more rough in texture) piece was pilling badly, like a Wal-Mart sweater after a machine washing. The seat pillows were maybe 1/3 of their original thickness, the bottom support was slumpy, (that's a word, right?) and it all just generally looked twice its age. I was disappointed because I am rather cheap and had paid what I thought was a lot of money for it with the intention of using the furniture for much longer than 8 years.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:49 AM »
I like Macy's quality (lasts like new for years.) they periodically run sales up to 50% off.

We have been pleased w/Macy's as well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:12:36 AM by Midwest »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »
Replying to follow, since we'll likely need to replace our sofas in the next few years.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
Where do you live?

If you're anywhere near Boston, I recommend Jordan's furniture.  Their salespeople don't work on commission, which makes for a pleasant shopping experience, and they have a great selection -- most made in America. 

Otherwise, I like Lazyboy.  They have a lot more than recliners.

We live in central Wisconsin, Appleton and Wausau are the closest population centers.  We were initially looking at Lazyboy, but reading reviews it sounds like the quality has really gone downhill on that brand in the last 10 years or so. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 08:48:27 AM »
Microfiber is a cheap fabric that does not wear wear no matter which company sells it. Stay away from it! I bought two cheap but stylish chair from Target covered in this fabric. At the same time I bought a sofa with heavy woven fabric. The chairs are toast, sofa still good. Our dog who is very dirty sits on all of our furniture and i want fabric that cleans up, microfiber aint that.

I look for mid range sofas, assuming its a full size one and not a love seat, and it has no moving parts I expect to pay $800 - $1100.

To the OP: if you go to a furniture store, they will carry several lines. You can choose a shape and then choose a fabric. It takes about 6 weeks to make your sofa. love our American made sofa we bought about 5 years ago as far a sturdiness. It is reasonable comfortable. For that purchase I went EVERYWHERE to check out sofas and I was so happy with the place I finally landed to buy. Those mall stores like Crate and Barrell are hideeously expensive.

Department stores carry a few sofas and you can choose your fabric once you find the unit you like.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:50:50 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
Also, whats cool about the online stores is that you can get fabric swatches, sometimes free, sometimes for a nominal charge.

I bought our last set of chairs from a particular company because their pink was pinker that the competition.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »
I would recommend top grain leather.  It will wear like new for 10-20 years.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »
I would also steer clear of LazyBoy.  It is made very differently than it used to be.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
I would also steer clear of LazyBoy.  It is made very differently than it used to be.
I would second this.  I bought my Lazy-boy couch in 2002 or 2003.  It has just in the past year or two started to be a little saggy but the fabric still looks great.  My parents bought their current living room chairs from Lazy-boy maybe 5 or 6 years ago and their chairs are already saggy, uncomfortable and the fabric (3 different fabrics) is wearing horribly.  The quality has definicely gone down hill in recent years.  Other relatives have experienced the same thing g.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »
I've had hit-and-miss success with Costco, buying furniture online and in the store.  Sometimes the quality is quite nice, sometimes it hasn't held up well at all.

However, Costco's superb customer service makes it worthwhile for me to take the risk.  I returned a multi-piece couch set after 3 years, when it was showing far too much wear for the minimal use it had received.  I originally ordered it online -- Costco arranged for return pickup at my house, and refunded the purchase price 100%.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
For chains I bought 2 sofas at Sofamart. They are not as nice as the high end furniture store brands, but they are nicer than the low end stuff (costco & value city come to mind). Last pretty great, and for the price if they die in 10 years I won't be that sad...

chris5977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Keep calm and sail.
    • Social Media
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »
I love www.roomandboard.com. They look great and last forever.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 06:54:17 PM »
Depending on where you are, and you aesthetic considerations, have you considered country community garage sales? Find a piece with good bones, the size you like, and get it recovered/re-stuffed in a fabric you like. It'll cost about the same as a low-to-mid-range couch, after reupholstering, but it'll be much nicer than most new couches and much more solid. 1950s furniture was made to LAST.

if you wanna go this route, Emily Henderson's blog did a "things to consider when buying and reupholstering a used couch" post a few months back that was really helpful.

Also, older lazy boy couches - seconding that so hard. The one I used to nurse my daughter is the most comfortable piece of furniture ever, and it was originally a gift to my mom the winter before I was born. She nursed me and all my siblings in it, it lived in their living room, then in my student apartment, and now (reupholstered), in my kid's room. It is the best.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
Crate and Barrel. For shizzle.

I agree. Our last couches.chairs we bought are from C&B and have held up VERY well so far. Other than that, I've also had good results from World Market couches/chairs. Ikea did not last very long.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »
Try Stanton brand http://www.stantonsofas.com.  They have a long warranty.  They will send you more stuffing if your pillows go flat. The cushions actually have springs inside of them. I just bought a set for my vacation rental because they are almost commercial quality.  I got them sprayed with something that will repel stains.  I got mine in the clearance section of the store because they were discontinuing the style. 

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
Try Stanton brand http://www.stantonsofas.com.  They have a long warranty.  They will send you more stuffing if your pillows go flat. The cushions actually have springs inside of them. I just bought a set for my vacation rental because they are almost commercial quality.  I got them sprayed with something that will repel stains.  I got mine in the clearance section of the store because they were discontinuing the style. 

Thank you for recommending this company-looks like great quality, American made, built to last for a decent price.  Still looking at Craigslist, but will keep an eye out for sales as well.