Author Topic: Quality Bike Helmets?  (Read 4812 times)

Larabeth

• Bristles
Quality Bike Helmets?
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »
Are bike helmets all made to the same safety standard?  If I buy one at Walmart, is it going to be comparable to a fancy bike-shop helmet?

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Quality Bike Helmets?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:49:02 PM »
I think if you go the Wal Mart route, you should wear two.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:52:27 PM »
Hahaha, I figured as much, but I've never had anything other than a Walmart bike/helmet.  Not that it was terrible, it was usable, but now that I have the ability to get something nicer/that will last longer, I'm considering it.

Any thoughts on a good helmet brand?

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:57:18 PM »
Well, I don't wear any helmet, personally. I like to live on the edge.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:43:12 PM »
All bike helmets sold in the US are required to meet standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The CPSC standard is a legal requirement for any helmet manufactured for the US market. It was adopted by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, and is mandatory for all helmets manufactured for sale in the U.S. after 1999.

Most helmets are made of EPS foam with a thin plastic shell.

The main differences between cheaper and costlier helmets are weight, ventilation, padding, and styling. The most important thing is to get a helmet that fits your head and to adjust it properly.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:02:54 AM »
I think a Styrofoam hat from Walmart will be as good as any other you can buy :)

Well, I don't wear any helmet, personally. I like to live on the edge.

I do this as well.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:37 AM »
To me it isn't about living on the edge, it's just a matter of complying with local legal standards.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
I have one fancy helmet with lots of holes (which I wear in summer) and one standard-issue bottom-of-the-line Bell from Target. Some people I know prefer a helmet that covers the back sides of your head more - this isn't required by the standard but maybe it should be?

I mostly wear a helmet (it's not legally required for adults where I live) but honestly I don't think it's particularly necessary, at least for adults (kid skulls are so soft). I mean I've been cycling for 30+ years and have never hit my head. So if you're just wearing it to comply with the law get the cheapest helmet that is comfortable.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
All helmets are ANSI CPSC and/or Snell approved, and thus sufficiently safe. The difference between a cheap helmet and an expensive one is fit, comfort (i.e., ventilation) and style.

I value the protection a helmet gives -- I'm pretty sure my old one saved me from at least a concussion, and keep it as a reminder -- but I'm perfectly satisfied with a $30 bottom-of-the-line Giro.

Incidentally, places like REI, Performance Bike and Nashbar can sometimes approach Wal-Mart prices for helmets, when they're on sale/clearance.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »
To me it isn't about living on the edge, it's just a matter of complying with local legal standards.

That's unfortunate. Does Alabama have state-wide helmet laws, or is this more local?
I wasn't meaning to pick on helmets too much, to each their own, I wanted an excuse to post an Yehuda Moon comic.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »
Just pick one that fits well and that you'll wear.  If it's cheap, then great!

I had a single bike crash the other day.  It was dark and I ran over a pine cone the size of a football.  Scraped myself up pretty good.  I didn't hit my head, but it reinforced to me why I always wear my helmet.  There's basically no downside.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »

That's unfortunate. Does Alabama have state-wide helmet laws, or is this more local?
I wasn't meaning to pick on helmets too much, to each their own, I wanted an excuse to post an Yehuda Moon comic.

I believe it is just local.  I think the state standards are 16 and younger have to wear helmets.

Pro_Amateur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Leave no stache behind
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 12:28:12 AM »
I remember reading in some magazine that there are basically no unsafe biking helmets, possibly because of the standards mentioned by another reader. I've been riding with a helmet from Aldi's for the last five years or so. Luckily never needed it.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 02:05:04 AM »
I remember reading in some magazine that there are basically no unsafe biking helmets, possibly because of the standards mentioned by another reader. I've been riding with a helmet from Aldi's for the last five years or so. Luckily never needed it.

I had wondered about that... I just wasn't sure if there were added safety benefits to an expensive helmet.  I'm probably gonna check Walmart then!  Hahaha. ^_^

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 06:00:26 AM »
All the helmets I've seen sold in Canada meet the same standards and specifications.  I just look for the helmet that fits me the best, is kinda light weight, and seems to be the best ventilated.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!