Author Topic: Quality Althetic Shoes  (Read 8766 times)

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
Quality Althetic Shoes
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »
I was reading:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/the-captain-samuel-vimes-'boots'-theory-of-socioeconomic-unfairness/

And got thinking about quality shoes.  I bought my work shoes 8 years ago, and have had work done on them to keep them going, but maybe spent $300 (including the pair itself) in those 8 years wearing them 5 days/week.  Which is the point of the article, quality over cheapness.

Is there an equivalent for athletic shoes? 

I walk 4+ miles a day, play tennis a couple times a week, and do other random physical activities.  I end up wearing my tennis shoes out in about 3 month, where they are uncomfortable to wear.  I spend ~$60 on Adidas or Reebok or New Balance for each pair, so ~$240 a year.  This is fine, I can't imagine giving up these activities, but the article got me thinking.  Is there a better long term solution for athletic shoes?

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: Quality Althetic Shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
I don't really think so.  I have terrible terrible feet and I spend a lot of money on decent shoes so that I can stand to be on my feet for more than an hour at a time.  When I'm active on a regular basis, I still go through the expensive shoes pretty quickly. 

Long distance runners replace their shoes by mileage, like changing your oil xD  Maybe you'd get some more miles out of higher end shoes, but you'd have to do a cost/benefit analysis for the specific brand/model you chose in order to be sure that it'd actually save you any money.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »
Yeah, I've seen recommendations between 300 and 500 miles of running.  I walk 350 miles plus tennis and others, so it seems about right.

Anyone have experience with minimalist shoes?

This article says they can be good for 1700 miles:
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/How-often-should-I-replace-my-minimalist-running-shoes.html

Although it's also says there could be other reasons to replace before then, so who knows.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
I would never ever use minimalist shoes and have been told by multiple foot/ankle doctors that they're a terrible idea.  I don't know if that's because my feet are so royally screwed up (like, had reconstructive surgery on both of them before I was 16, in order to give me some semblance of an arch), or if it applies more broadly.  I think the minimalist shoe thing is a bit of a trend, though, and probably no where near as beneficial as it's touted to be.

Briarly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »
I've had some newtons that last a bit longer, but they aren't my favorite. I wear a minimal running shoe, but still wear through about three pairs in a year- and I mean the sole is literally worn through. I try to extend them by running on trails, but ultimately- I love to run and it's good for me. it is worth it. I don't buy tons of other fancy paraphernalia, or even a gym membership.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
I agree they're a trend.  And it takes time to adjust to them, and while you're adjusting you're more likely to get injured.  And I doubt they have any physical benefit once you have adjusted, but they may be cheaper if you can really get 3x the miles off them...

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:05:23 PM »
Triathlete here.  I track my shoe usage and tend to replace them around 400 miles.  If there's a race within 3-4 weeks I'll sometimes keep running on them and use them in the race for the last time. 

I am frugal in a lot of places in my life, and even within my sport I'm pretty frugal-- I have a great bike, but don't buy the bells and whistles and the newest iteration of gear every year-- but with shoes, I usually buy a couple pairs of last years model from Running Warehouse when the new shoes come out.  They're still a good deal more expensive than cheap running shoes, but at a substantial savings versus the "new" version, when improvements are incremental at best, and cosmetic at worst.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:09:20 PM »
I run in New Balance Minimus shoes, and if anything, they seem to break down a little faster than the previous running shoes I've had.  Usually about 400 miles and I can feel that the cushioning has gone out of them.  I've been able to get the ones that are getting closed out from Joe's New Balance Outlet for like $36 instead of $80 or whatever. 

Vibrams do seem like they last a long time, but it's a question of whether you're OK without the padding.  For me, I like a little more cushion for road running, but do use the VFFs  in the gym, which extends the life of my running shoes by a bit.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »
I don't actually run, so I don't think cushioning is that big of a deal for me.  Maybe I'll try out a pair and keep mileage and see if it's worth it.  And see how they feel...

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 09:32:37 PM »
I don't run but I only buy Asics Gel Kayanos. Expensive and worth every penny. My last pair lasted me 9 years. Just bought a new pair this Christmas and I love them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »
I don't actually run, so I don't think cushioning is that big of a deal for me.  Maybe I'll try out a pair and keep mileage and see if it's worth it.  And see how they feel...

Probably OK if you get one with a sturdy upper.  The NB Minimus trail running shoe seems a little sturdier than the road version.  The fabric on the V930's would always start to give out around the ball of the foot about the time their mileage was up, but I do still find the "used up" pairs comfy for loafing around the house, and probably fine for walking a couple miles at a time.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
If you don't have fancy padded shoes your feet will get used to it. Humans used to survive just fine without shoes. I'm not a fan of super minimalist shoes just cause I don't like the feeling of walking on rocks, but shoes "wearing out" is only an issue if you are used to tons of padding. Let them wear out, keep using them, and your feet will toughen up.

The 300-400 mile thing in relation to running shoes is a total scam, IMO. Yes, it only feels like walking on marshmallows for about that long, but this is MMM. We're supposed to be fine with discomfort if it leads to longer-term strength. Feet are a prime example of this.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:15 PM »
Probably true that adaptation will occur over time.  I usually start to feel it more in my ankles and to a lesser extent in my hips though.  I did run one pair longer than I should have, under the reasoning that they were all ready very minimally padded, and my feet should adapt, but one day I accidentally threw on one old shoe and one identical new shoe, and could feel the difference walking around the house, so switched to the new shoes and my ankle quit bugging me.  Not worth toying with my joints to see if I can save a couple bucks and my right ankle is definitely my weak link when it comes to running. 

It seems intuitively like it would be better to start out with a non-padded shoe than to keep wearing a beat to hell padded shoe that has likely packed down in a way that is throwing the balance off and impacting your stride.  It seems like the more padding, the greater the chance of the shoe getting really out of whack as it wears.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
I have a semi-barefoot walking/hiking shoe from Merrill which is still going strong 1.5 years later.  I think it will  be good for quite some time,  but as I hate running off the court my needs are different than runners. I don't miss the cushion at all. It's a good middle ground for non running activities and at $60 they definitely are worth the money. I feel like my ankles are stronger now than they were, but not sure how much of that is shoes ....

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
I've had the same pair of Chuck Taylors for 9 years now. I've just been repairing them with glue. I didn't wear them for running though. But Chucks don't seem to just fall apart and collapse like running shoes do.

Also, for lifting weights, I have had a pair of Adidas lifting shoes for about 15 years now. Again, I use glue to keep them going when the bottom comes loose. Since I only wear them in the weightroom, I expect they'll last many more years.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them :)
It sounds like I might get a walking shoe and a tennis shoe.

lise

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 02:04:13 PM »
I was reading:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/the-captain-samuel-vimes-'boots'-theory-of-socioeconomic-unfairness/

I walk 4+ miles a day, play tennis a couple times a week, and do other random physical activities.  I end up wearing my tennis shoes out in about 3 month, where they are uncomfortable to wear.  I spend ~$60 on Adidas or Reebok or New Balance for each pair, so ~$240 a year.  This is fine, I can't imagine giving up these activities, but the article got me thinking.  Is there a better long term solution for athletic shoes?

Wasn't sure from your post if you are wearing your tennis shoes for also walking the 4 miles and other random physical activities.  If you are, just use your tennis shoes for tennis and another pair for walking/random activities.   Shoes that have time to "dry out" between wear last longer.  That's why some fashion blogs recommend not wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row, but alternate between two pairs.
And this way you can also go "cheaper" for the walking/random activity pair of shoes.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »
The true BIFL "shoe" option is going barefoot.

In all seriousness, though, shoes are inexpensive enough that I don't think it's silly to buy a $30 on-sale pair of nikes every other year for athletic purposes. They fit me well and are a good balance between being minimalist and cushioning (again, for me personally), so I stick with what works.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 06:26:47 PM »
I'm not a runner, but I do like walking. I have 2 pairs of Brooks shoes that I alternate wearing. Bought both in 2011 and they're still going strong. I have early stages of arthritis in big toe joints and arches that are less archy than when I was a kid (er, clearly anatomical terminology is not my strength). My feet always hurt to some degree, even just sitting down doing nothing. So I buy comfortable supportive runners because I get less pain that way. To me, it's a false economy to buy crappy or non-supportive shoes for exercise. Also, I don't like pain so it's a quality of life thing.

DH also has Brooks runners which he wears when he's not at work. The model he wears was prescribed by a podiatrist and his GP to reduce foot damage. He too has crappy toe joints and good runners minimise daily pain and wear and tear. He buys one pair at a time and wears them until they start falling apart. He gets maybe 18 months of wear before buying a new pair. He's also not a runner but walks a bit (he aims to do 10,000 steps per day, but sometimes it's a lot lower than that).

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:48 AM »
I'm in the same position as the Original Poster - my feet are screwed up, wide, high arches, and numerous bouts with plantar fasciitis.   To the poster who said humans used to be fine without shoes, I'd be the human eaten by the bear or lion.

I'm changing out running shoes every 300 miles or so.  Nike Structures are the only off the shelf shoe my arch can run in without pain and I have tried unsuccessfully to run with insoles a number of times.

Interestingly enough, my work shoes are Allen Edmonds (bought from an outlet for between $120-$200) last for years and a 3-4x the number of wears.  Part of this probably number of steps, but they're also much better constructed. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
Shoes are really personal. Even though they are more consumable than boots, I definitely prefer trail running shoes for walking, hiking, gardening, biking, etc. I tend to buy one pair and wear it for everything until they are completely trashed. Sometimes I will save the trashed pair for gardening to keep the fresh ones cleaner. Sometimes I can't be bothered to constantly switch shoes.

I generally buy mid tier shoes ($75ish) and get 12-18 months out of them. As much as I like to support USA made stuff, New Balance is by far the worst brand for me. I tend to get best results with Reebok.

The OP wasn't asking about kids shoes, but just in case I'll add that New Balance kids shoes are utterly rubbish. My kids are very rough, and only Nike and Saucony have reliably held up to their abuse.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »
I am usually able to score athletic shoes at the thrift store.  I had an amazing find Saturday.  Brand new Nike Air Monarchs for $20.   

It is really amazing the shoes can go out in as little as 300 miles.   By that metric many runners are replacing their shoes every month!   

Or the question might be which is cheaper to run ? -- my car or $100 running shoes.   My car costs me about 25 cents per mile.   A $100 pair of runners --33 cents!  (not including the human full requirements)

(as a side note -- My PF is much better after wearing Birkenstocks for 4 months straight.  I did have to nail some heal plates on them)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »
The local running shop carries quite a number of shoes.  I've found that anything ASICS makes will be quality and not too terribly overpriced.  I use them until I wear all the way through the rubber and the foam starts coming out (so, typically 2-3 years).

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
I'm trying out Kirkland Signature sneakers. They look sort of stupid but I don't really care.