Author Topic: Put money into HSA or Roth IRA  (Read 2769 times)

Awitte58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Put money into HSA or Roth IRA
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
So I posted briefly about investment options and such. Here you can find some numbers on income and bills: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/case-study-put-money-into-401k-or-be-aggressive-on-debt

Anyways, I've been doing some reading and I don't have an HSA (health savings account). I found out they are a pre-tax account that you can make tax-free withdrawals for medical purposes.

I am currently putting away enough to max out the 401k and the Roth IRA annually, but I am not putting anything into an HSA.
With my current bills I cannot put any more of my paycheck away.

My question for you mustachian pros is: Should I re-allocate my investments to perhaps not max the Roth account or not max the 401k in order to be able to max out an HSA account?
The HSA only allows $3,250 per year in pre-tax contributions if I recall correctly.

I am 24 currently. I will be 25 in January, which means I can still use my mothers medical insurance for another year, but I want to start thinking ahead for when I have a high-deductible insurance plan and need to have money saved for unexpected medical costs.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Put money into HSA or Roth IRA
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
My question for you mustachian pros is: Should I re-allocate my investments to perhaps not max the Roth account or not max the 401k in order to be able to max out an HSA account?
The HSA only allows $3,250 per year in pre-tax contributions if I recall correctly.

I am 24 currently. I will be 25 in January, which means I can still use my mothers medical insurance for another year, but I want to start thinking ahead for when I have a high-deductible insurance plan and need to have money saved for unexpected medical costs.
Assuming you invest your HSA similarly to your 401k and IRA investments (i.e., the rates of return on all are similar), then
1.  401k up to the match, assuming the match is a "high" percentage (e.g., 25% or more).
2.  HSA, because it can be completely tax free
3.  IRA (assuming fees are lower than 401k options)
4.  401k
is a defensible order among those option.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »
Awitte58, you need to have a high-deductible health plan to be eligible to contribute to an HSA.  If you have an HSA and have contributed to it, but for some reason no longer have a HDHP, you can still withdraw from it but you cannot continue to contribute.  If your mother's plan counts as an HDHP follow MDM's advice above.

Awitte58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
I appreciate the input!

My mother's insurance is definitely NOT a high deductible plan so I guess I won't have an HSA until I am on my own.

I was confused the difference between HSA and the FlexSystem plan my company offers. It sounded similar to HSA where you put in pre-tax money to pay for medical stuff, but it isn't an investment where stuff grows or rolls over.

Thanks for straightening me out. I will stick with maxing 401k and Roth accounts for now and will reallocate in the future when my situation changes.