Author Topic: Pursue potential job opening  (Read 5253 times)

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It was a cold spring day in Casper, Wyoming.
Pursue potential job opening
« on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »
So I have a question for the community.
One of my former coworkers up in Williston, ND is leaving the firm and his position is going to be available. I'm currently debating throwing my hat in the ring.

Pros: Chance to gain experience managing people (would be managing a team of around 20 people)
Lower cost of living vs. Denver (company subsidized housing in NoDak)
Moving to a schedule with a longer weekend (10 days on/ 4 days off) vs. current M-F
Extricating myself from a project that is currently going nowhere and I don't see having any potential.

Cons: Going from living in Denver, CO to Williston, ND ( I worked up there for over 2 years)
Current mangement would have to sign off on it as it would be an internal transfer, and I have been in my current position for only 8 months.
I may be burning bridges with current management as they brought me onboard specifically for this project.

At the end of the day I don't want to make staying with my employer untenable by pissing off my managers, by attempting to pursue an opportunity that they might block anyway, but at the same time I don't see any way forward with what I am currently doing.

Other pertinent details: No mortgage, no wife, no kids

Thoughts?

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pursue potential job opening
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »
If you decide to get serious about it, would it be possible to have the ND manager(s) specifically request you, or would that be too obvious/sneaky?

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
If you decide to get serious about it, would it be possible to have the ND manager(s) specifically request you, or would that be too obvious/sneaky?

The way it works is
1. Let ND manager know I'm interested
2. Approach my current manager and get written authorization to apply to the position
3. Apply to position, then interview, etc.

Technically, the ND manager can't really request specific people. But he can choose who he extends an offer to after the interviews.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:40:59 PM »
Is it really cheaper up there? I did some work in Bismarck a couple of years ago, and the gold rush effect for the oil in the Bakken was making everything super expensive. Maybe that's why you get company subsidized housing? Definitely double check it, I know things have kind of fallen back to earth there recently with the oil bust.

What I'd say about it is, you miss all the shots you don't take. Definitely keep it positive - this is all about your interest in moving up in the company and getting management experience. I doubt there are many people jockeying for a role in rural ND so you may have a good shot at it.

Managing a team of 20 will be tough - ideal span of control is seven, and once you get beyond ten people, it's impossible to manage a team without dropping the ball somewhere. With a team of 20 direct reports, you can rest assured that at any given moment, someone somewhere is screwing something up. You have to put some kind of hierarchy in place (like team leads, or whatever passes for that in your line of work) to get a handle on it. Wouldn't be my first choice for your maiden management voyage.

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
Is it really cheaper up there?

Surprisingly, yes. That was not the case when I first went up there in 2012, but between the bust and the growth in the Denver area, COL has changed substantially in both locales.

What I'd say about it is, you miss all the shots you don't take.

That's probably how I have to sell it, frame it to my managers as me wanting to learn, get experience, and move up.

You have to put some kind of hierarchy in place (like team leads, or whatever passes for that in your line of work) to get a handle on it.

This sort of structure is already in place. Team is divided into 2 parts with a lead for each section. Wouldn't be the easiest, but I worked with half of these people before, and I know the area, the business, our customers, etc.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »
First you have to decide if you want the job and the move to ND. If you do, then approaching your manager should not be a problem. Just be straight and emphasize the opportunity.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
Sounds like something to try for.

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »
First you have to decide if you want the job and the move to ND.

Is NOT wanting my current position and a desire to relocate to a lower COL area to accelerate my FIRE plans a sufficient substitute?

Fred2004

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

Is NOT wanting my current position and a desire to relocate to a lower COL area to accelerate my FIRE plans a sufficient substitute?

probably not.

you have to sell it to them.  corporate politics suck...i know, that's how i got into a bait and switch situation i'm in now...

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »

probably not.

you have to sell it to them.  corporate politics suck...i know, that's how i got into a bait and switch situation i'm in now...

I'm referring to my primary internal motivations. How I sell it will be an emphasis on the chance this provides for me to gain experience with personnel management

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:14 AM »
Deadline is the 27th to let Nodak know if I am interested.

I have drafted an e-mail to my current boss emphasizing the value I could bring to the organization with managerial experience, and also highlighting how it allows him to get another person off of his cost center, considering the pressure we are under to downsize. This in turn allows him to "cold-stack" one of his employees until the market turns as opposed to potentially having to layoff more personnel to make numbers.

I will think about it over the weekend, and if I am still sure I want this position, I will inform my current boss and ask for his permission to pursue this position.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:36:48 AM by attackgnome »

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 10:54:36 AM »
Good for you!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
That is probably a conversation you'd be better off having face to face. This lets you read the body language and decide if you're getting a receptive audience, or to pull back and soften the message a bit. Sounds like you're ready to put the plan in action, though!

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 11:43:25 AM »
That is probably a conversation you'd be better off having face to face. This lets you read the body language and decide if you're getting a receptive audience, or to pull back and soften the message a bit. Sounds like you're ready to put the plan in action, though!

It would be my first choice, but we work in separate buildings so the opportunity may not exist between now and close of business on Monday, and an e-mail is better than no notification at all.