Author Topic: Purchasing a new (used) Honda Fit: lower mileage vs. newer model year?  (Read 2442 times)

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I will soon be selling my truck and purchasing a smaller vehicle (likely a Honda Fit). In looking at cars for sale, there are some very low mileage 2008-2009 models for similar prices as higher mileage 2011-2012. Note that in all cases the mileage is still low - under 60,000.

So, with price being equal and mileage being between 15,000-20,000 difference, would you go with a lower milage and older car or higher mileage and new car? I know when I was buying trucks (been driving trucks for 18 years!), there were always certain model years that were generally accepted to be more reliable than others, so that could factor in as well. I don't have any insight on this for Honda Fits despite research.

My own priorities are reliability above all else.

(FYI, the truck is not facepunch-worthy - I used to live on a farm, no longer do, and am just now selling my horse trailer, so it is no longer needed)

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I don't know that I would be stuck just on the Honda Fit, pretty much any 4dr hatchback that is a 4cyl 5spd is going to get great gas mileage, and if you find one that isnt honda you could probably save much more money. I would look at the Scion Xa, Elantra Touring, Mazda 3, Toyota Scion, Toyota Yaris, even the suzuki aerio, Prius...Even the ford focus wagon was pretty reliable.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Pretty much all Fits of that generation are under recall for airbag issues currently and Honda is requesting that nobody drive them. If you don't care about that you might be able to get a good deal, or if you're willing to drive a rental for a while you can probably arrange that too. Once Honda gets around to my 2010 I might be selling it with a big "TAKATA AIRBAG REPLACED" notice on the listing...

(if you're nearby, feel free to PM me...)

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks to you both for your input. The biggest selling point of the Fit was the cargo space - any insight into which models might be similar in that area? I'm definitely open to similar reliable vehicles. Hybrids or gas-only with good milage (not interested in an electric-only vehicle right now).

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Unless you really want ESC for increased safety, I'd value low miles over year. (I drive a 2008 with 82k on it, bought with 56k.) That being said, I may have rushed a bit when I bought mine, and it wasn't treated too nicely before I bought it. So it's a little rough around the edges. Though that mostly doesn't matter. I've replaced the ignition coils ($53 x 4 and do it yourself in 5 minutes with a ratchet) and I'm about to replace the spark plugs ($30 for the OEM iridium ones.) I also replaced tires for about $360 from Sam's Club.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Low miles is better than newer model year. My '90 car with 88K miles is in much better condition than my '96 with 200K.