Author Topic: Proud dad moment. Wanted to share with the community.  (Read 2255 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Proud dad moment. Wanted to share with the community.
« on: August 16, 2021, 12:13:04 PM »
Mom: Let's buy a new water bottle that'll hold 32 oz of water for your school.
DD: Why?
Mom: The one you have is only 16 oz and it won't be enough for you at school, now that are in 2nd grade.
DD: But we have 2 of those so I can carry both to make it 32 oz.
Mom: Are you sure?
DD: Yeah. We can try that for a few days and if it gets cumbersome managing 2 bottles, then we can buy a new one.

Dad: :)
Mom: :)
DD: I'm just 7.

Beach_Stache

• Stubble
    • This Frugal Father
Re: Proud dad moment. Wanted to share with the community.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 12:31:07 PM »
I think the prouder Dad moment is that your 7 year old uses words like "cumbersome"!

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
I think the prouder Dad moment is that your 7 year old uses words like "cumbersome"!

Haha. True.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
Refilling the bottle at school is not an option? Who expects seven-year-olds to carry two pounds of water to school every day?

+1 on the prodigious vocabulary admiration.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 01:19:40 PM »
Kudos to the kiddo! I’m also surprised she is expected to carry that much water to school. Is this a COVID response? I know a lot of fountains are shut down in my area.

Cumbersome is a fantastic word!

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 01:22:17 PM »
It is a COVID response. They shut down water fountains at her school, hence the juggle.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 01:26:21 PM »
It is a COVID response. They shut down water fountains at her school, hence the juggle.

Ugh. Kids are so resilient in the face of this pandemic.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 01:36:20 PM »
OMG, that's nuts!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 02:00:06 PM »
OMG, that's nuts!

They didn't shut down the water fountains in US schools???

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 02:02:20 PM »
OMG, that's nuts!

My son's school installed bottle fillers where the water fountains are/were.  They have to have a clear bottle because apparently some kids were showing up with soda or something (I won't comment on what I would have had in my bottle in high school).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 01:25:27 AM »
OMG, that's nuts!

No idea.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 06:33:27 AM »
OMG, that's nuts!

Can't speak for all schools, but they certainly shut them down and our kid's elementary school. We did the same at my church, and I don't think I have seen an active water fountain in a public place for over a year.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 06:38:32 AM »
OMG, that's nuts!

I don't know about schools (don't have kids), but all of the public drinking fountains I've seen recently have been blocked.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 07:19:55 AM »
Yup - you have every reason to brag and be proud!
Critical thinking mixed with MMM - win for life!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 07:45:34 AM »
OMG, that's nuts!

Can't speak for all schools, but they certainly shut them down and our kid's elementary school. We did the same at my church, and I don't think I have seen an active water fountain in a public place for over a year.
I understand closing public drinking fountains, but how about a more common sense approach? Perhaps an adult could be stationed at a sink to refill kid's bottles at lunchtime? That seems smarter than making small children drag around two pounds of water, plus all the other crap that's in their backpacks.

A friend's niece had a stroke at age 10, from which she will never fully recover. The cause? Doctors believe it was from carrying a heavy backpack to school every day.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »
OMG, that's nuts!

I understand closing public drinking fountains, but how about a more common sense approach? Perhaps an adult could be stationed at a sink to refill kid's bottles at lunchtime? That seems smarter than making small children drag around two pounds of water, plus all the other crap that's in their backpacks.

A friend's niece had a stroke at age 10, from which she will never fully recover. The cause? Doctors believe it was from carrying a heavy backpack to school every day.

The public school system has a zero tolerance policy towards common sense.   :P

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 08:31:11 AM »
Did you frequent drinking fountains much as a kid? We didn’t much except after a particularly hot recess. And we didn’t have recess except in lower grades, during which we didn’t change classes, so not much lugging.

I think your kiddo made a great choice, @jamesbond007

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 08:53:29 AM »
I used the drinking fountain after every recess, and at lunch.  There was no A/C in my school, so summers were pretty warm . . . and there was no humidification in the winter, so winters were very, very dry.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:55:47 AM by GuitarStv »

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 09:06:50 AM »
I used the drinking fountain at school every chance I could. But this was before people carried water bottles around.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 09:08:48 AM »
I used them all the time as a kid. Sometimes I would fill water bottles, other times I would just drink from them. Depended on what other activities were going on.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »
ftp://
I used the drinking fountain at school every chance I could. But this was before people carried water bottles around.

Yes, this.  Bottles of water being sold in the store weren't really a thing and nobody owned or used a reusable water bottle.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 01:07:08 PM »
Lead in schools is an entire regulatory topic. I will either be tracking my schools drinking water testing results or sending them with water. Probably both.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 01:35:55 PM »
There seems to be some mixed messaging from the CDC. C19 is primarily spread through respiratory droplets, but we should close water fountains and use hand sanitizer. I guess epidemiologists are not willing to discount the possibility that it can rarely spread in these situations like other viruses can.

OMG, that's nuts!

Find better doctors. Wonder what prescriptions the kid was on?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 03:08:02 PM »
None at the time of the stroke. It's been two years and she's made great progress, but family says there's still a lag. Not my kid, not going to tell the family what to do. Just sharing a cautionary tale.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 03:15:44 PM »
None at the time of the stroke. It's been two years and she's made great progress, but family says there's still a lag. Not my kid, not going to tell the family what to do. Just sharing a cautionary tale.

It's sad what had happened. But I doubt it is because the kid carried a heavy backpack. Having grown up in a country where every kid since the beginning of time has been carrying at least 8 or 9 lbs., or sometimes even more, of backpack filled with books each to school (longer than 180 days, unlike here in the US) I haven't noticed one sole case where a kid ended up with stroke. This kid's parents need to see a better doctor.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 11:07:02 PM »
OMG, that's nuts!

My son's school installed bottle fillers where the water fountains are/were.  They have to have a clear bottle because apparently some kids were showing up with soda or something (I won't comment on what I would have had in my bottle in high school).

I don't know that I've ever seen a bottle filler that wasn't a combination drinking fountain.
My kids' school have always allowed/encouraged kids to bring their own water bottle. They never drink more than half of the 16-20 oz. they bring.

School started one week ago today and masks are voluntary.  I think only about 5% of students (including my kids) and faculty are wearing them. How much longer do you think it will be until the school is shut down?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2021, 06:21:29 AM »
OMG, that's nuts!

I don't know that I've ever seen a bottle filler that wasn't a combination drinking fountain.
My kids' school have always allowed/encouraged kids to bring their own water bottle. They never drink more than half of the 16-20 oz. they bring.

School started one week ago today and masks are voluntary.  I think only about 5% of students (including my kids) and faculty are wearing them. How much longer do you think it will be until the school is shut down?
I give it two weeks, but I'm curious how it goes.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »
OMG, that's nuts!

I don't think they'd shut down. All districts have immense pressure from the states to keep them open and they tied funding to it. Highly unlikely the schools are going to be shut down.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »

It's sad what had happened. But I doubt it is because the kid carried a heavy backpack. Having grown up in a country where every kid since the beginning of time has been carrying at least 8 or 9 lbs., or sometimes even more, of backpack filled with books each to school (longer than 180 days, unlike here in the US) I haven't noticed one sole case where a kid ended up with stroke. This kid's parents need to see a better doctor.
I had a coworker who had a stroke at agd ~40 from hitting his head on his desk after reaching down to pick something off the floor, and was permanently disabled. Nearly every person in history has hit their heads a few times without having a stroke, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen to this guy.

If the girl's doctor says her stroke was caused by carrying a backpack, I'm inclined to believe that it's at least a possibility.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »

It's pretty well documented that lifting heavy weights can cause strokes, although thankfully strokes in general are uncommon in children. The child could have had another condition making stroke more likely from lifting their backpack, or maybe the bag was excessively heavy.

My understanding is there is a push from the American Academy of Pediatrics to keep school backpacks at a maximum of 10% of body weight due to the health issues and injuries they can cause. This article states it's an understudied area, but the data certainly indicates cause concern around heavy loads:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6267109/

I would imagine the need for heavy textbooks has decreased with more online content, so perhaps adding water to the backpacks isn't as alarming as it would be on top of 15 pounds of books.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2021, 05:55:58 PM »
OMG, that's nuts!

Vodka is clear . . . so is cheap rum . . . so is cheap tequila.  Just saying.

Congrats, OP!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!