Author Topic: Protocol for Internal Job App  (Read 1278 times)

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
Protocol for Internal Job App
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Thanks in advance to all those mustachioed, fiscally responsible cultists...

I have been at my place of employment for 10 years. My current position, which I took ~2 yrs ago, is a soul-sucking vampire bat that I have to leave for the sake of my sanity. The primary reason is that I have an impossible relationship with my direct manager. Ideally, I would like to internally transfer so I could keep my commute, benefits, routine, etc. (although I have been job hunting externally as well, to no avail yet). The problem is that our HR system automatically copies the employee's manager in the event that he applies for an internal position. So it behooves the employee to start the conversation with his manager about applying for a position rather than blindsiding him.

This leads to my question. What should this conversation look like? Obviously, I will not tell him about the vampire bat. Should I just go for boilerplate stuff like, "I would like to expand my breadth of knowledge within the organization, yadda yadda, yadda." Should I just apply for a new job and not say a damned thing? If you are a manager, what would you expect a good employee to do? Have any of you ever been here before?

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
Re: Protocol for Internal Job App
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:52:27 PM »
Which of these reactions do you expect:

1.  ES, I'm disappointed to see you are looking to leave our group.  I do understand the desire to keep things fresh though, so good luck!

2.  ES, I saw you applied for <job>!  We will miss you, but that role could really help you get closer to your career goals!

3.  ES, why did you apply to <job>!  I thought you were happy!

4.  ES, why do you want to leave?  This will put a lot of strain on your coworkers who have to pick-up the slack you leave behind.

5.  Publicly: "So ES, are you too good for us that you feel the need to abandon us?  Everyone, look at ES, who plans to dump all his/her work on you so he/she can go gallivanting around with <new team>

6.  No response to you, but reaches out to hiring manager to badmouth you.  Might even put you on a PIP to make you ineligible for internal transfer.

The answer varies based upon who your boss is.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Re: Protocol for Internal Job App
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »
Find who the hiring manager for the job that you want to apply to and talk to them first. Arrange an interview and once you get a verbal offer, then tell your manager and do the paperwork. No need to apply. My company has the same policy and we do this workaround.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!