Author Topic: Project Management side gig?  (Read 4481 times)

TheGadfly

• Stubble
Project Management side gig?
« on: July 20, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Are there any professional project managers (PMP certified or other) out there who are making extra cash as a part-time PM outside of their normal job?

I'm looking for a side-hustle but I'm either unable or unwilling to earn (very little) money through uber, mturk, etsy, AirBnB, etc. I'd like to devote a few of my spare hours to something that is actually worth the time/effort. I'm an experienced project manager and I'm looking for part-time, remote PM positions but I can't seem to find any. For good reason, a lot of PM jobs are full time commitments with weekday hours only.

Still, has anyone been able to earn extra money managing projects remotely outside of their normal working hours?

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Re: Project Management side gig?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm a PMP and currently working as an Enterprise Architect.  I do proposal writing as a side gig.  I'm in a LCOL area but proposal writing is greatly in demand and I do primarily govt responses to RFP's.  It is usually 3-4 weeks of work at a time.  I limit myself to about 10-15 hours a week because I also work 40 hours a week at my regular gig.   I charge anywhere from $75-$150 an hour depending on how complex the proposal.  For me, it's decent side money and I can do it from home after work and on weekends.  and truth be told, I do a little bit at work as well. 

There is currently limitless proposal writing gigs right now. 

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:14:46 PM »
I'm a PMP and currently working as an Enterprise Architect.  I do proposal writing as a side gig.  I'm in a LCOL area but proposal writing is greatly in demand and I do primarily govt responses to RFP's.  It is usually 3-4 weeks of work at a time.  I limit myself to about 10-15 hours a week because I also work 40 hours a week at my regular gig.   I charge anywhere from $75-$150 an hour depending on how complex the proposal.  For me, it's decent side money and I can do it from home after work and on weekends.  and truth be told, I do a little bit at work as well. 

Where do you find your clients?

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »

Where do you find your clients?

I've been a government contractor for a number of years so at this point, the clients come to me.  But, you can search on any job site for proposal writing and contact the employers directly.  That's what I would do.