Author Topic: Progressive insurance - ok?  (Read 2866 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Progressive insurance - ok?
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
So, I wasn't all that thrilled with the renewal rate on my auto insurance, so am getting quotes. Progressive gave me a 6 month rate that's about half of what State Farm and Liberty Mutual are quoting. Any pitfalls about them I should know about?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Progressive insurance - ok?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
I've had Progressive for over 10 years and cannot think of a single bad thing to say about them.

SaveSpendGiveALittle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
I had Progressive for years and then got a quote from Geico last year after I changed cars. The Geico quote was so much less, I was shocked. If I remember correctly, it was something like 40% cheaper for the same coverage.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
I had Progressive for years and then got a quote from Geico last year after I changed cars. The Geico quote was so much less, I was shocked. If I remember correctly, it was something like 40% cheaper for the same coverage.

Insurance companies are weird like that.  I had a similar experience with a Geico quote vs my Progressive coverage.

I'd recommend pricing insurance through Costco, too.  I may end up switching to them, though I will try to keep something with Progressive so I don't lose the 10yr+ benefits (large accident forgiveness, etc).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
I went with Progressive. They were the cheapest of the 5 quotes I got.

Just saved lots of money - just under 50% of what I would have paid if I'd stuck with State Farm.  There will be another insurance review later this year when I buy a house :)

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:43:20 PM »
Was with them for 7 years and left when I found better quotes. Never had any issues but wish I had shopped around a long time ago. Go with the best deal.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
The only way of knowing how "good" an insurance company is when you have to file a claim. I have Liberty Mutual for home and auto because they were the best price but I do not know if they are good or not because I have not had to file a claim yet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!