Author Topic: Professional Resume/Cover Letter Writing Service?  (Read 3149 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Professional Resume/Cover Letter Writing Service?
« on: January 26, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
What are y'all's thoughts on using a professional resume / cover letter writing service like TopResume for job hunting? I've been applying to jobs for several months and haven't received a single invitation to interview. I'm guessing it's because they are filtering me out due to my resume or cover letter. A professional might be able to include the correct keywords, improve experience phrasing, and get me past the filters that have been stopping me so far.

If this sounds like it may be of value, how much would you pay? Their current pricing is $149 for a resume, cover letter, and 2 revisions. I believe this would be money well-spent if it results in a higher paying job. I also imagine some will see this service as face-punch-worthy. Discuss.

younggunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Professional Resume/Cover Letter Writing Service?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »
A well written resume is worth every penny of that 149$.  Could be the difference of getting the interview or not.  That being said, 149 seems expensive.  I'm sure there are a lot cheaper options.  I know there are a lot of people willing to write resumes on the website fiverr.com.  I'm sure you could get one done for 5-10 dollars.   Though I have no experience on that site, just know there are people on the site who do lots of resumes. 

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »
Look on craigslist or fiverr first. Many of these resume services outsource their writing work to India.

Every job you apply for should be using a different resume tuned to hit all the things they're looking for. Don't lie, but do modify your resume to focus on experience that fits the role they're hiring. I've got ten different versions of my resume tuned for different roles from the last time I was in hard core sales mode.

Rule of thumb is ten resume submissions to get one interview, ten interviews to get one job. You say you've been doing this for several months. Like online dating, this is a numbers game. You should be submitting 10-20 resumes a day. You should also go visit some companies if they're reasonably close. Dress up nice and go visit HR with a resume. Nobody does this anymore, so it makes a big impression. 

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »
Does your old college have a career development center? My college does and they will help alumni with resumes, cover letters, etc. The first couple of sessions are free, then you pay. Less than $149.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »
I work in HR and a large part of my job is recruiting (ie. reviewing lots of resumes).  I would be happy to review your resume and cover letter and give you some feedback for free if you'd like.  It might not help but if it does, you've saved some $ for FIRE.  PM me if you'd like.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »
Same here. I used to teach resume and cover letter writing at the college level so shoot it my way if you want some feedback, though sounds like sonjak is probably more current on trends.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »
Look at Ramit and his dream job course. Sign up for his emailing list and review the free info.

I don't think the resume is the problem.

-Who do you already know at these companies?
-How do you ID these companies?
-How do you reach out to them?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:20:01 AM »
Look at Ramit and his dream job course. Sign up for his emailing list and review the free info.

I don't think the resume is the problem.

-Who do you already know at these companies?
-How do you ID these companies?
-How do you reach out to them?

Nobody.
Job postings.
Apply for job.

I'm not looking for a "dream job", just something easy that pays well and has good benefits.