Author Topic: Probably going to spend $100k on a credit card in 2019, help me choose the card  (Read 1917 times)

Goldy

• Bristles
So the company I am going to be working for allows for us to use their corporate card or if we would prefer we can get a dedicated personal card to put the charges on.  I will be running a small office that will be working on a large project so I estimate about 15-20k per month in card charges.  That works out to a lot of points if I decide to put it on my card.  For payment they offered to either pay it themselves or I can pay it and they would reimburse me, I'm going to pick the first option because I would rather not float that much money if I can avoid it.

So, what cards would you recommend? 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Do you travel or do you want straight cash?

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just wondering how stable is your company? I.e. any chance of bankruptcy happening? If so I wouldnt be putting that much on a personal card. Just a thought!

Goldy

• Bristles
Do you travel or do you want straight cash?

No preference really.  We have delta Amex cards and use those points for flights but cash back is also interesting.

Goldy

• Bristles
Just wondering how stable is your company? I.e. any chance of bankruptcy happening? If so I wouldnt be putting that much on a personal card. Just a thought!

Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot to mention this in the original post.  There is a risk of this however there is a significant second company backing this smaller one that has said it will be held liable if the need arises.  Given this I’m not overly concerned about the risk.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Chase Ink Business Preferred. After ~6 months of using that card, get a Chase Sapphire for more bonus points.

Re: Risk. Keep the corporate card handy. If they're ever late on a payment, switch to their card stat. You don't want to get caught out with $40k in expenses.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache

Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot to mention this in the original post.  There is a risk of this however there is a significant second company backing this smaller one that has said it will be held liable if the need arises.  Given this I’m not overly concerned about the risk.

Using your own card for this makes you a lender with no recourse.  If something big goes down (think Enron), your job would be at risk as well.  The worst case scenario is very ugly.  I wouldn't take that kind of risk for points.  I would use their card.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
If you are in an area with a good selection of Southwest flights one or two of their cards might be a good way to go.

50k sign up bonus on a personal card
50k sign up bonus on a 2nd personal card
Spend 10k

Get a free companion pass for the rest of this year plus next year so you can have someone fly for free with you.

1 point per dollar spent on regular purchases
2 point for stuff spent with Southwest.

We earned it last year and flights have been between 20 - 30k points round trip to Florida from Colorado and your companion flys free. San Diego I think was about 24k round trip.

We will end up taking 5 or 6 trips this year and will not pay a penny including a trip where we are using points for a couple of friends to join us.

They keep sending me referrals so if you are unable to find a good sign up bonus I can see what I have in my email.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
My last employer used AMEX as the "corporate card".   It was a card I had to pay for and then be reimbursed, but it was against the company's credit, not me personally.

Anyway, I had the option of paying an annual fee and collecting the Amex points myself.   I did not do that because I thought the fee was too high, but others did and liked the benefits very much.

Look into that ==>  can you get personal benefit of points by using the corporate card somehow?