Poll

How significantly does strong dislike of your job drive you towards FIRE?  As opposed to primarily because you want to spend your time as you wish, or some other reason

Primary reason
7 (17.9%)
secondary reason
8 (20.5%)
tertiary reason
7 (17.9%)
not a factor or minor importance
17 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: are mustachians prone towards psychological fear of job?  (Read 2665 times)

Case

• Pencil Stache
are mustachians prone towards psychological fear of job?
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »
Most of us have severlyy hated/disliked/feared our job at one point or another (or constantly!).  It drives some of us towards.  What I wonder is, are Mustachians as a group more prone to this than others?  Are we more likely to aim towards FIRE because we have more psychological issues that trigger a certain response?

Certainly there are exceptions and many people who make a rationale choice to leave a career in order to have a more fulfilling life of their choosing.  But in my job which isnt great but isnt terrible, I find myself having occasionally mini-panic attacks.  And I see lots of posts here with people freaking the F out... so, are we just mental :-) ?
(admittedly playing devil's advocate)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:47:05 AM by Case »

neil

• Stubble
Re: are mustachians prone towards psychological fear of job?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »
If someone is signing the paychecks and the pay is worth it from my perspective, I am not generally bothered with the work itself.  But the regular work day itself does not mesh well with when I am at my peak creativity (usually 6-11pm) and this has always caused problems for me - where I spend hours at work inefficiently and then work late nights when inspiration hits me. 

I am not sure I have the same entrepreneurship as others here, but at the same time I cannot really discover that while I work in this fashion.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »
I like my job.  Oh, there are things about it that I'd like to change, but overall I like it. 

However, I like being at home and doing my own thing more.  And I know that at some point I will physically no longer be able to do it.  Plus, if I have money to retire, continuing to go into work everyday becomes a choice, and choices are good.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
I love my job.  I would like to be financially independent to have options.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
I generally really like my job. It's considered one of the most fulfilling jobs based on like, every poll ever (nurse). But there's other stuff I like a lot more =) So it's basically not a factor, or a very small one.

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
Another vote here for liking my job. I just don't want to be stuck with it 8 hrs (or 10 to 11 with commute) a day, five days a week, for years and years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
My last job I would have responded Primary Reason . . . But I actually like my new job and still want to FIRE.  It's about freedom to do stuff that I want on my schedule, not running away from horror (although the option to be able to refuse to continue if a job turns horrible is certainly nice).

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
I've never held a job where I liked it enough to actually *want* to be there. If I didn't need the money, then no - I would never have chosen to be there.

I wouldn't call it fear of a job. It's more that I value the freedom to do what I want and when I want to do it.

I also like it when jobs can show a direct benefit to me and/or my family. I get way more incentive out of that. I don't like washing dishes, for example, but doing them at home isn't as bad because keeping them clean keeps a cleaner kitchen, keeps pests away, and then you have clean dishes when you're ready to eat/cook. If I worked at a restaurant as a paid dishwasher, the only benefit that gives me directly is money. Money is good, but then you have to deal with the germs of strangers, the annoyance of people throwing away perfectly good food, the boredom of doing many, many dishes that you did not make dirty and did not get the benefit of eating the tasty food, it's not something you could have done in only a few minutes and then can go do something else, etc.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:45 PM »
I don't mind my job.  Don't love it.  Certainly don't hate it. 

I'm naturally frugal, though.  I've been living beneath my means & saving aggressively my entire working life.  I sometimes used to ask myself "When am I going to spend all this money I've been saving?"   But I never wanted to save less or to buy expensive stuff.  I just didn't have a goal in mind.

When we found MMM, it all kinda gelled.  We have a purpose for our frugality.  What appeals to me is the safety (it doesn't matter if I lose my job) and the flexibility (DH can quit or go part time if he wants).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
I don't mind my job.  If I didn't have other things I wanted to do, it'd be just fine.

There's just too much to do to be stuck at work all the time!