Author Topic: Prescription Sunglasses OR Transitions OR Clip-Ons?  (Read 37872 times)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Prescription Sunglasses OR Transitions OR Clip-Ons?
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Hullo! I've been weighing up these 3 options, and would like to gather some opinions and experiences...

Basically, I wear glasses. Also disposable contact lenses occasionally, but mostly glasses. I have been coming to the conclusion that I really need to come up with a proper solution for sunnies.

All this time, I've just been wearing off-the-rack sunglasses, and my current one has broken. Instead of just getting another regular one in the shop, I think I should get a proper one that fits my needs. I can't see things that well when I wear these sunnies, unless I am wearing contact lenses, but as I mentioned, I prefer to wear glasses most of the time.

So this brings us to...

- Prescription Sunglasses (quoted at $350, plus whatever the frames cost; eligible for private health insurance rebate)
- Glasses with photochromic/Transitions lenses (quoted at $480, plus whatever the frames cost; eligible for private health insurance rebate)
- Custom-made clip-ons to fit my already existing glasses (quoted at $150; not eligible for private health insurance rebate)

I think I can get up to $200 back from private health insurance, if I go the first 2 options. I'll definitely shop around, but use that as a rough guide for now. I may also look into delaying my purchase until I visit Asia in a few months, but I'm not sure how much cheaper it will be. Bear in mind these prices are high not just because it's in Australia, but also because of my individual eyesight situation, and I have recalled that getting glasses in Asia had been quite expensive for me in the past, too, due to these circumstances.

Anyway... would like to hear from those of you who prefer to wear glasses instead of contacts, on how you deal with sun protection for your eyes, and what you recommend. :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Prescription Sunglasses OR Transitions OR Clip-Ons?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »
well if you get new specs, they'd better not be designer *shudder*

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »
Or $15 for a drugstore spring loaded clip-on

Yeah, I will definitely look into that, too, though I forgot to mention them, as I haven't checked them out and I don't know what the prices are like around here. I'll have to watch out for generic clip-ons next time I go to the shops, I don't remember seeing them last time I went to the chemist.

Haha, I haven't visited that thread but after your comment I popped by for a look. Interesting...
Anyway, without even thinking, when the optometrist said that the prices don't include the frames, my immediate response was "what are the cheapest frames you've got?" so don't worry. ;)  Having said that, I do agree that while designer isn't important to me, something that is durable, looks and feels good is important. But we digress!

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »

Hilarious!

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »
The only thing that I would offer is that people with Transitions always look 'shady.'

Maybe it's just me.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
I got myself something like these but a different brand (Overlook), similar price though:
https://www.cancervic.org.au/store/shop_sunglasses/coverspecs/sunglass-fitover-jonathan-paul-glides

They go over your glasses.

However I would note that if you are going for a stylish look these are not for you, also having two sets of glasses on your face can be slightly heavy and if your looking up or down etc, they tend to move around.  I got them for driving purposes so I'm mostly looking left, right, or straight ahead when wearing them, and I like the protection and visibility I get at the sides, especially as for my drive to/from work at certain times of the year the sun is a bit off to the side, and not hidden by the car roof.

Otherwise I would suggest the basic clip ons that aren't specific to your glasses.  These should then be able to be reused when you get the next pair.

Nancy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
Might I propose a fourth option? The $20 sunglasses from the drugstore that fit over your glasses-the ones that old people wear. They're fantastic and they last at least four years (my current pair). If you lose them- not a big deal. They have sweet side coverage as well. Just saying-they fucking rock.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
You should just get prescription sunglasses.  I am so much happier using these instead of always trying to find a pair that fits over my glasses.  BUT do not spend $350, that is a rip off.  I get my prescription glasses (including sunglasses), from www.zenni.com.  My sunglasses have cost about $15 to $25 a pair.  They fit well and the prescription is always spot on.  I have been getting all of my glasses from there for years.  I kick myself for ever paying more than $30 for a pair of glasses.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
I also wear prescription sunglasses. The only annoying thing is that means I have to carry it around with me, which can pose a problem when I'm going somewhere without a bag, for instance. Also annoying is switching them back and forth as needed, when going inside then outside then back again. Or I'll forget one pair somewhere and have to do without until I get it back. Not as much a problem when I'm wearing my regular glasses, but can be annoying when you're stuck wearing the sunglasses. Something to think about, perhaps. Small annoyances, though, as much as I seem to suggest otherwise. ;)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
Wow, thanks for the many suggestions so far!

With fit-over sunglasses, I'm not sure if I want to be wearing two pairs of glasses. I think it would be okay if it was occasional, but I'll be living in / travelling through Asia for at least several months later this year, where I'll likely need to use sunnies quite often, and it may be a bit uncomfortable, I'm thinking.

Thanks for the link to Zenni - I didn't realize they shipped to Australia. They look nice and affordable! I'm a little nervous about buying glasses/sunnies without trying them on, though I guess at those prices it could be worth a shot.

Also, to elaborate more on my problem, my right eye is much worse off than the left, so if I get regular lenses one will end up much thicker than the other, which is kind of unbalanced. To counteract this, I get a regular lens for the left eye and a special thin lens for the right eye, which is why my prescriptions are more expensive.

And yeah, one of the reasons I'm considering Transitions/photochromic is so that I don't have to carry anything extra with me when I'm out and about... I do find switching back and forth a little annoying, too. :p

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
If you and your partner are on the same health insurance policy then it may be possible to take advantage of the $200 per person benefit for specs.

What you do is ask the optometrist to put the claim through twice and use both of of your available limits. Works a treat if your partner does not need specs, but if he does then obviously you are limited to one every 2 years.

Means your transition lenses will cost $80 instead of $280.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »
Don't get transitions for driving!

I have transitions. I love them, but if you are worried about sunglasses for driving then this is not a solution. They react with the UV rays so when you go outside they turn dark. But in the car, most windshields are treated to stop UV rays. The glasses will not turn dark when you are in the car. Other than that, I love my transitions. You dont even notice them change, you just always have the correct amount of light coming in.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
Do you have an old frame from a previous prescription? I converted those to sunglasses before I bought my current pair of Rx sunnies.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
I didn't realise you could do that, marty. Interesting! Unfortunately my boyfriend and I don't share the same health insurance as yet... but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with transitions, john! I don't drive, so that shouldn't be a problem. Good to know that you like them! My dad has transitions and he likes them too. I've texted him to ask how much they cost back home, so I have some point of reference to compare with Australian prices.

missundecided, I do have a very old pair from way back, which I still keep around as a back-up. The lenses are tiny though, so with the lack of physical coverage they're probably not the best option for converting to sunglasses.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »
I'm in a similar situation.  My prescription changed, now I have distance and reading glasses.  I've always had prescription shades made but I don't want to be carrying around two pair of glasses.  I'm going to get vision insurance pretty soon so I'm holding off on the decision.  Prescription shades would be covered by insurance but clip-ons would not be.  I'm leaning towards the clip-ons for one less pair of glasses to carry around.  I also think it may be prudent if my prescription changes--I can just change the lenses in my distance glasses and not have to worry about my shades.

I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other.  I also have astigmatism.  It sucks because I can't just buy the cheapie reading glasses.  I had to get them made and they still bother me.  My prescription isn't even that heavy, I can function/fumble around home without my glasses.  The problem is getting my eyes to work together.  As I'm getting older, they seem to be fighting with each other!

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »
You should just get prescription sunglasses.  I am so much happier using these instead of always trying to find a pair that fits over my glasses.  BUT do not spend $350, that is a rip off.  I get my prescription glasses (including sunglasses), from www.zenni.com.  My sunglasses have cost about $15 to $25 a pair.  They fit well and the prescription is always spot on.  I have been getting all of my glasses from there for years.  I kick myself for ever paying more than $30 for a pair of glasses.
Depends on how blind you are.  Personally I have a strong prescription, I require specially gound lenses so that i'm not wearing extremly thick lenses that from my understanding don't give you as good a vision anyway.  The last pair of glasses I bought were $AU180 a lense, the pair before that $AU220 or $AU280 per lense I can't remember which.  I can tell you now, my lenses cost more per lense than the frames do.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »
I once had frames that came with little magnetic clips to hold clip-on sunglasses. That was my favorite; the little clip-on was so small and easy to carry.

Oh oh I had these ones too! Actually I still have them, but no longer use them because my prescription has changed.

I'm leaning towards the clip-ons for one less pair of glasses to carry around.  I also think it may be prudent if my prescription changes--I can just change the lenses in my distance glasses and not have to worry about my shades.

Yeah, I'm thinking about that issue too. That's one major benefit of generic clip-ons, for sure.

I require specially gound lenses so that i'm not wearing extremly thick lenses that from my understanding don't give you as good a vision anyway.  The last pair of glasses I bought were $AU180 a lense, the pair before that $AU220 or $AU280 per lense I can't remember which.  I can tell you now, my lenses cost more per lense than the frames do.

Ahh I feel your pain. Similar situation except I only need the special lens for one eye.

whiskeyjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
I wanted to second the recommendation for Zenni (or, I suppose, any other mail-order establishment).   

Because you will not be able to try them on before you purchase, find a pair of glasses that you already own and like and measure them CAREFULLY!   Then choose your frames from based on those measurements (+/- a millimeter or so).  That should eliminate the chances that they look weird when you finally get them.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »
Anyway... would like to hear from those of you who prefer to wear glasses instead of contacts, on how you deal with sun protection for your eyes, and what you recommend. :)

I used my eye dr.'s prescription to purchase glasses from Zenni Optical with a dark tinted lens.  Much cheaper than $350 and they fit reasonably well.  I personally don't want to fool with any other system like clip ons or Transitions.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
Since so many of you are recommending Zenni, does anyone know if they do ultra-thin lenses and are able to customize according to my individual situation? As I've mentioned earlier, my right eye needs a much stronger prescription than the left, and using regular lenses for both means that it'll be very unbalanced. I have to get a regular lens for the left eye and an ultra-thin one for the right so they end up the same thickness.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
You have to choose which thickness you want, but typically, I get the same for both because my eyesight is balanced. 

However, I have a friend that had some issues with her order and she said the customer service was really great.  I suggest you call them to get some advice for your specific situation.

Also, they have the photochromic (generic transitions), transitions, clip-on, polarized, and regular tint options.

One last thing, I have read on other boards that people think the glasses are low quality and "flimsy."  I have never had this problem at all.  I have zennis that are almost 5 years old.  I think this might be because I get the full plastic frames and others get metal frames.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
I'm in the cheap clip-on sunglsses from the drugstore boat.  I've had 4 or 5 sets of clip-ons in 20 years.  They work great, if you can find the right shape.  Invariably I drop them or they end up near my feet in the car and get scratched up.  Then I buy a new set.  $12-$15 depending on where I find them.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »
So, starting with the cheapest options... I went to the chemist/drugstore today. I tried on some sunglasses, which are $20 and they seem to fit over my current glasses alright. I found a pair I quite like. I'm still iffy though because it doesn't feel super comfortable to be wearing two pairs of glasses. Unfortunately this shop doesn't have clip-ons, which I really want to try. The search continues!

Rickk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 06:43:30 AM »
I have been really happy with Solar Shield "old people" sunglasses which fit over my regular glasses.
$20 at Walgreens (in US).
http://www.solarshield.com/sunglass_panorama.html

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 06:59:24 AM »
$350?!?!?!?!?

What about Costco?  That sounds like the price of four pairs from costco

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »
I have a pair of generic clip-ons that work fine. My only problem with them is that my hobby has me outside in the direct sun for many hours every weekend, and the sun does get in around the sides. It's a function of my small frames; not that the clip-ons aren't working. When I've had enough, I'll get a part of prescription sunglasses that have more coverage.

I also tried the over-glasses sunglasses, but I don't like the feeling of wearing two pairs of glasses. Too heavy and awkward. So we keep them in the car for emergencies. And for the kids to wear while pretending to be insects.

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 10:17:51 AM »
My boyfriend loves his transistions.  He says they lighten up really fast when going inside, so that's not a problem. They are expensive, but I can't picture him without them, and they seem so convenient.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
I'm not sure if www.glasses.com works for the gold coast, but I would recommend them.

I actually just bought my first pair of Rx sunglasses last week.  They were having a half-off lens sale, so I went for it.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
Prescription sunglasses all the way. You can use flex health spending if you have that. For non high-index lenses, the cost at a place like Warby Parker or Eyefly is $100, and they often have sales. I have high index, and it's still only $135.

I waited a long time before pulling the trigger on the prescription sunglasses but since I have terrible eyesight and also am sensitive to sunlight and squinty this has been an amazing buy. I love wearing them, you just have to plan to bring them with you when you'll be out in the sun.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
I am very happy with my Transistions lenses. Since they require UV light to change, they will not work in a car (UV blocking windshield), so I have an $80 pair of custom made polarizing clip ons that I leave in my car.

I dislike carrying two pairs of glasses, so I have never gone for dedicated prescription sun glasses.

I moved to transitions lenses after having had my old clip-ons fall off repeatedly while mountian biking (more than once I crashed in the shade and didn't notice that I was no longer wearing sun glasses, which meant trips back to try and find them). Clip-ons also have strong glare issues when the sun shines down between the clip-on and the main lens. This would effectively black out my vision for a 1/2 second at a time while riding. Not ideal.

Horror of horrors, paid for designer (oakley) frames as well as the anti scratch and anti reflective coatings.
I am comfortable with this expense (total cost of my glasses was just over $500).

Four years in, my frames are only now starting to wear. My lenses are still scratch free and continue to work just as well as they did at day one. Part of this is luck that my prescription has not changed in the past four years, and part of it is buying good quality items. My glasses have hit braches at speeds in excess of 40 km/h, and had direct contact with slabs of granite at about half that pace.

Not to say less expensive glasses couldn't have done the same, but my previous lenses and lighter weight frames did not survive my outdoor activities nearly as well as these have.

As for the designer bit, as mentioned before, my glasses directly affect how other people see me, and how I see myself. I was unable to find cheap frames that fit my face and looked how I wanted to look. The difference in frame price was $100. That's $25/year to look my best, I can handle that.

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
I am going to throw this out there as a completely different solution. My husband recently got PRK surgery similar to Lasik and he said it was the best decision he ever made. I don't know anything about Australian insurance or the cost of the surgeries there but you might look into it. Judging from the cost of your glasses it might pay for itself quickly and not having to worry about glasses is a huge advantage. In America, it is generally not covered under insurance but my husband's job covers it completely otherwise we would have never paid for it. But after having it done, he said that it would be worth the cost.

ReverendRN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
I get my prescription glasses (including sunglasses), from www.zenni.com.  My sunglasses have cost about $15 to $25 a pair.  They fit well and the prescription is always spot on.  I have been getting all of my glasses from there for years.  I kick myself for ever paying more than $30 for a pair of glasses.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 03:26:09 AM »
I also have similar eye issues. I decided to get transition lenses for exactly the reason you mentioned - I didn't want to have two pairs of glasses just to see. However, it was immediately obvious to me that I would need sunglasses. My eyes are sensitive to light, so it might be different for you. However, transition lenses are nowhere near as dark as sunglasses. They're just a bit tinted. I still like them because they're good for short times, but if I intended to be out in the sun for longer than a few minutes, I would definitely put sunglasses on.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 06:36:07 AM »
Transitions suck for driving. They're activated by UV rays, but car windshields are uv protected. Most car side windows are not, so you get a little bit of the darkening but not enough.
I had regular prescription sunglasses for years until LASIK. Loved them. Almost drowned because I went after them after hey were ripped from my face in an ocean riptide. I think alcohol had something to do with it too. 

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 07:20:52 AM »
My eyes are sensitive to light, so it might be different for you. However, transition lenses are nowhere near as dark as sunglasses. They're just a bit tinted.

There are several different strengths of Transitions. I told the optometrist I wanted the darkest. They tend not to sell the darkest because it is not 100% perfectly clear when not in uv light (you can barely tell, and it doesn't affect anything at night, but there is a very subtle color shift). It still isn't as dark as the darkest sunglasses but they are about the same as my clip-ons. It is enough that I don't have any issues even in the bright sunlight on snow.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »

I have had all three options and they all have their advantages/disadvantages in different situations.

1. Perscription sunglasses - These are great if you are outside a LOT. They also are the darkest option if you hate the sun. The big disadvantage is you have to carry two pairs and switch glasses when you go inside. I can't see well enough to function without my glasses so if I have to go into a shop with my perscription sunglasses on it's too dark to see with them but too fuzzy without.  These are best if you are outside most of the time OR can function without glasses indoors for short periods of time. (or are amazingly much better than me about remembering to bring both pairs with you) Also if you get caught with them at night it's a problem. This didn't work well for me for the above reasons, but I know lots of folks who love them.

2. Clip-ons. advantage: cheapest. can easily be taken on/off when you go inside/outside. Disadvantages are they never fit quite right and are easily broken. These are good if you are in and out a lot and don't want to spend the money. I've had many pairs of these, mostly due to cost.

3. Transitions. Advantages - you get the darkening automatically. These are excellent if you are in and out a lot or live in a climate where you almost always want sunglasses. Disadvantages - they are not tinted as dark as dedicated sunglasses. They also require direct sun to darken. This means if you are, say inside a car looking out a window they are not as dark as you might like. conversely they can darken when you don't want it if it is bright enough. I LOVED mine when I lived in the sunny southwest, but didn't spend the money in the cloudy northeast.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:46 AM »
Transitions are the best.  I've been wearing them for over 10 years now and love them.  They won't completely darken behind a polarized windshield but, I've never had a problem in the car being blinded.

lady brett ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »
I love my prescription sunglasses.  They were $40 from an online place (Goggles4U - same idea as Zenni).  Keep in mind that those places are advertising the most basic of basic glasses when they say they have $7 glasses (or whatever it is) - there will be an upcharge for the tint, and for the thin lens, and probably some other add-on options i didn't get, but mine were still only $40.  Plus, i shopped around for the exact frame style i wanted - probably could have gotten them cheaper if cost was my only interest.

I used to use clip-on's, and prescriptions are better in every way.  I have small glasses, so i find i want larger frames for more coverage in sunglasses, plus i found it very hard to find clip-on's that fit my frames.  And in the pain-in-the-ass/cost category, i found clip-on's to be flimsy, so i usually had to replace broken ones up to a couple times a year, making them way more expensive than my $40 prescriptions i've had for 3 years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2014, 08:06:46 AM »
I've tried all of the options listed.

- Prescription sunglasses rock.  No futzing around with clips and magnets, they are dark when you want them to be, and in case something happens to your regular glasses you have an emergency backup . . . but they're the most expensive.

- Clips/magnetic option is not bad if the frames you get are designed for them.  They're usually pretty light and easier to carry around with you than another full pair of glasses.  I'm always leery when biking in high winds with the magnets as I've had them come loose and fly off before from gusts.  The clips are usually held on much more solidly in my experience.  Most of them don't look too dorky, and they're much cheaper than a second pair of glasses.

- Transition lenses suck.  They don't change quickly enough for me when going indoors, they don't darken enough when driving in a car, the do darken for no apparent reason when it's really really cold outside, and they never seem to go completely clear in low light situations.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »
regular glasses + this stuff = prescription sunglasses?

benjaminrogers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »
Walmart for the clip ons.  There is a huge variety of shapes and sizes out there.  You can get them polarized also.  I've been using them for years to fish with so I don't have to keep changing glasses!

Janie

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
There are online prescription services, like Warby Parker, that mail frames (for free) for home try on before you order. Glasses with prescription lens are about 100 USD. Looks like Australia has some similar options. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/executive-living/fashion/hipster-view-australia-gets-busy-in-online-eyewear/story-e6frg8k6-1226665850631

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
It's already been mentioned at least once, but transitions are no good for driving, the car windows keep the UV out and they don't change...

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »

+1 for zenni.  The only place I will ever go again for sunnies.  If you choose normal glasses frames, take into consideration the height of the lens for sun coverage, then just add the 80% tint for $5.  I splurged and went for a sport style with polarized lenses for $60 shipped.  I LOVE them.  I also ordered a second pair of $20 cheapies for convenience -- these are very good as well.

The most important thing besides your prescription when ordering specs online is the pupil distance (PD) measurement.  If this is wrong, or you just chance it with defaults, everything will look skewed/blurry. 

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
Loving all the perspectives here!

Yes, last night I played around on the Zenni website and I realized that I had no clue about some stuff e.g. the PD measurement. Oops.

I've booked for an appointment with another optometrist and this one is actually run by my private health care insurance so the quotes I get should be cheaper than the last one, in some cases there are even freebies. In any case I'll try to get all the prescription info I need from them as well, in case I ever want to buy glasses online.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
I have prescription sunglasses, and they are WONDERFUL.  I really love them for driving; my eyes are bad enough that I need to wear my glasses while driving, and I don't like sacrificing sun-comfort for safety.  I just bought a pair for my daughter, who is terribly blind for someone so young, and they cost less than $200.  Given that I've been wearing mine for four years now (four years?) and they're still going strong, I have no qualms about paying that amount. 

Note on prescription sunglasses:  I wear bifocals for my regular glasses, but I opted for distance-only sunglasses.  I wear them for driving and for outdoor activities, but I can't use them to ready by the pool.  That is a bit of a downside, but the lenses were significantly less expensive than bifocals would've been.  It isn't a big problem, but when I need to replace them, I'll probably pop for the bifocal lenses in BOTH my regular glasses and sunglasses.  Since I need to wear my glasses ALL THE TIME, it's probably better for me. 

I bought my first pair of prescription sunglasses from Zenni, and it was a BAD experience.  The glasses were really cute and looked good on me, and the lenses were perfect . . . but the frames were too small for my head (the legs were too short), and every time I put them on, I'd have a splitting headache within minutes.  Even at a low price, they were a "bad spend".  I will not buy another pair of glasses that I cannot try on.  I absolutely recommend against them.

I also would not mess around with clip-ons or magnetic sunglasses -- not unless you need these glasses only for occasional use.  I think they'd be a constant aggravation. 

I used to want the Transition lenses, but after asking friends about their experience, I decided against them for several reasons:
- When you've been outside and walk into the house, you'll be "blind" for a few moments while the glasses revert to indoor mode.
- I like wearing relatively small frames for my everyday glasses, but I like my sunglasses to feature a larger lens for better sun protection. 
- They're fairly expensive. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 03:40:57 AM »
I continue to be pretty much in love with my giant nerdy sunglasses that fit over my glasses for driving. They're designed for it, run about 15 bucks, less if you find a sale or find them at a thrift store like I did for one pair. Best thing is that they're actually dark, and cover the sides as well for side glare.  Much less fiddly putting on taking off than clip ons, too, and won't break unless you run over them or step on them.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »
I've booked for an appointment with another optometrist and this one is actually run by my private health care insurance so the quotes I get should be cheaper than the last one, in some cases there are even freebies. In any case I'll try to get all the prescription info I need from them as well, in case I ever want to buy glasses online.

Update! :)

I went for my appointment today, and ended up ordering a pair of glasses for $150. The frame was free, the basic lens was free, but due to my prescription it is always recommended I get a "thin" one so that's $50. (There was also a choice of "thinner" for $100 or "thinnest" for $200. I decided to go with just thin, and I figure if I'd like it even thinner then I'll get one of those next time - but start from the cheaper one first as a yardstick.) To get the Transitions/photochromic, it's another $100. The girl said that if I didn't like the effect of Transitions lenses, I can bring it back and get normal lenses put back in for no extra charge, and I'd be reimbursed too, so I figured it was worth trying! I also got glasses that are a decent size, for more coverage and protection. I have to say - today has been a reminder that I appreciate being able to try on glasses in person, so I don't know if I'd buy online. For example, today I picked out some frames that I thought looked nice on the rack, but once I tried them on I found that they didn't suit me.

Oh and by the way: apparently lots of lenses have UV protection these days - you can ask your optometrist to check yours to confirm, mine did and said my existing glasses already had 99% UV protection. So, technically, I probably don't even really need sunnies. The tinting is more to alleviate the discomfort from glare, which I still think is worthwhile.

I know $150 may still be considered steep by some here, but I'm fine with it, even knowing that it will buy me 100 bowls of noodles in Asia. ;)

Maybe I'll update this thread again once I get my new glasses, and report back on whether I enjoy the Transitions.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
I know $150 may still be considered steep by some here, but I'm fine with it, even knowing that it will buy me 100 bowls of noodles in Asia. ;)

Maybe I'll update this thread again once I get my new glasses, and report back on whether I enjoy the Transitions.

Or 10 pairs of drug store clip-ons.  :)  Do report back.  I've always liked the thought of prescription sunglasses, but have balked at the price, especially knowing how often I crunch mine.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
Alright, I have an update!

Picked up my Transitions glasses a couple of days ago. There is the normal adjustment period that I go through for any new pair of glasses - getting used to the lenses, and also the frames - by now I am comfortable with it.

So, about the Transitions effect. It happens gradually when I go outside, so I barely even notice it darken, and then I catch my reflection somewhere and see that it actually has darkened! And when I take them off, I can see definitely the difference with and without. I like them, it's nice to not have to carry an extra pair of sunglasses around. The only thing I would improve about it, if I could, would be to have it darken only after it reaches a glaring level of brightness - as it is, I look "shady" even on a cloudy day. :p  But I can deal with that!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!