Author Topic: Prescription Sunglasses OR Transitions OR Clip-Ons?  (Read 37874 times)

pennyrobbins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Prescription Sunglasses OR Transitions OR Clip-Ons?
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »
Pretty old thread, but fitover glasses have come a long way. Not quite as heavy, and look more "normal" than transition lenes in my opinion my opinion.

It's all about your daily life. I tried prescription sunglasses for a while but found myself needing to wear them indoors, and was worried about getting  them damaged when riding my bike, as they were pretty expensive. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:54:25 AM by pennyrobbins »

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »
^Interesting! I think my transitions glasses look pretty normal though. :))

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'm happy to put in another report. I'm still using those same transitions glasses that I bought in 2014. So I think it was AUD$150 well spent and when I eventually need to replace them, I will probably get transitions again. The only con about them for me is that sometimes I look a bit shady indoors for a bit (if I just arrived from outside, or if the indoor area has lots of natural light). But I'm willing to put up with that because other than that it has made protecting my eyes a breeze. As a lazy person who prefers not to carry around extra items or fiddle around with changing my eyewear according to weather conditions, this appears to be the right choice for me! Hopefully I can squeeze at least another year out of them.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »
I wear prescription sunglasses.  I get the prescription from the eye doctor and take it to one of the 2 pair for $100 places.  They hold up reasonably well and do the job.

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
I'm going to get a new perscription soon, so this thread is great! 

I do hate the cost, though. I tried Zenni, but their perscription was off!  I actually went with 39dollarglasses, and oddly enough, they work perfectly. 

BTW- there is a reason why perscription glasses are normally so expensive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAeHuDcy_bY

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »
I've been using Zenni Optical for years for my everyday glasses and for prescription sunglasses (plus reading glasses that correct my astigmatism). Never an issue with the presecription. They do transitions as well, though I've never had any.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
Don't get transitions for driving!

I have transitions. I love them, but if you are worried about sunglasses for driving then this is not a solution. They react with the UV rays so when you go outside they turn dark. But in the car, most windshields are treated to stop UV rays. The glasses will not turn dark when you are in the car. Other than that, I love my transitions. You dont even notice them change, you just always have the correct amount of light coming in.
^This^, except one other thing I hate about them is when someone's taking pictures and you don't realize how dark they are and then you're the geek in the photo wearing dark glasses.

Last year I had FSA money to burn, so I bought prescription sunglasses for the first time. Alas, I don't like those either. Need to carry 2 pair of glasses for when you're indoors. Bleck.

So clip-ins get my vote.