Author Topic: Preparing to overcome my fall addiction... Pumpkin Spiced Lattes!  (Read 7429 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
It's almost that time of year again. Autumn. And that means pumpkin everything.

Last fall, I fell victim to Starbuck's marketing. I got their app, kept buying gift cards, and kept buying pumpkin spiced lattes (never synced my cc with it though... had some common sense!). I don't know how much I spent at Starbucks last fall (that was before even my Mint days), but it wouldn't be a pretty number. Or it would have been, had it gone to student loans or savings.

I love their pumpkin spiced lattes, but my wallet does not. I don't have a special coffee/latte/magic machine (just a crappy cheap one and an inherited keurig). Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives, or is my best bet just going cold turkey?

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Preparing to overcome my fall addiction... Pumpkin Spiced Lattes!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
I understand completely!!!

Make it yourself.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-coffee-creamer-pumpkin-spice/

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
There are always recipes online that try to imitate Starbucks drinks. :)

Here's the first one that came up on Google, and no fancy latte machines were involved:

http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/10/10/how-to-make-a-pumpkin-spice-latte/

edit: TrulyStashin beat me to it! If one recipe doesn't work, try another!
edit: typo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:24:10 AM by NumberCruncher »

moosestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »
Google is your friend in this situation, these are just two recipes I found in 15 seconds.

This recipe is for a skinny version but no special equipment required.
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/skinny-pumpkin-spiced-latte.html

Instead of espresso, just use double strength brewed coffee in this recipe.
http://food52.com/recipes/24751-pumpkin-spice-latte

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:05:42 AM »
Ooh those recipes look good! Goofy me, I didn't think about making my own creamer!

I was going to edit my original post and say that I've tried the Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice K-Cups and I rate those a solid "eh." Pretty tasty, but not enough to stop me from going out buying a drink.

Starbucks also sold a powder packet that you add to warm milk, which I rated a "meh" - slightly better than "eh" but not amazing.

Must find other uses for pumpkin puree now... that's not something I keep on hand.

Anyone else have their favorites?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
Maybe this article will be your friend. Just quit! There is NO pumpkin in a PSL, and a lot of artificial flavorings. http://qz.com/250108/stop-talking-about-pumpkin-spice-lattes-they-are-terrible/

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
Must find other uses for pumpkin puree now... that's not something I keep on hand.

Pumpkin soup
Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin cheesecake
Pumpkin cupcakes
Pumpkin bread
Pumpkin muffins
Pumpkin ice cream
Pumpkin smoothies
Pumpkin milk shakes

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
I saw PSL syrup at my local Cash and Carry recently.  No idea if it's any good, though.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »
I also love the pumpkin-spice lattes, but have starbucks on my 'do-not-visit' list as part of my MMM financial diet.

Last fall/winter I tinkered with various recipes and created my own.  Personally I found most recipes to be too heavy on the cinnamon and too light on other spices.  I also like the deeper flavor you get from a little bit of brown sugar.
Here 'tis
1.5 cups white sugar
0.5 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
2 teaspoons cinnamon chunks (or use 2 whole cinnamon sticks)
2 teaspoons whole allspice, slightly crushed
5 -8 whole cloves
1/4 cup pumpkin pack (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 dried arbol pepper or 1/4 tsp dried pepper flakes (optional)

combine above in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then simmmer for about 10-15 minutes.  Cool and strain into 1 liter container.  Keeps 2+ weeks in the fridge (but I always used it up before then).
Add between 0.5 and 1 oz per drink (either drip coffee or espresso), depending on how strong you want it. Add freshly grated nutmeg just before drinking.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:02 AM »
When I have bad habits to overcome, I am fan of cold turkey.  It hurts more in the beginning, but I am more likely to stick with it.  I have given up cigarettes and coffee going cold turkey each time.  Brutal, but effective.

Make it impossible to get a latte.  Delete the app, do not buy cards, leave your wallet at home. 

Or maybe you are an 'everything in moderation' person...then why not limit yourself to a reasonable number of lattes and just enjoy them?

And I know we all have our vices, but 'pumpkin spice latte' makes me gag just a wee bit. 

Edited to fix my craptastic grammar
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:07:34 PM by ruthiegirl »

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
I've successfully gone cold turkey with Starbucks in general. I think the last time I bought something there was a Peppermint Mocha back in Feb/March (facepunch!). I don't particularly care for their regular coffee or any of their summer drinks, but I do love their PSL and would probably cave.

I just looked up on amazon to find those packet things from Starbucks themselves...

http://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-Ready-Pumpkin-Single-Packets/dp/B009GTIHG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408383375&sr=8-1&keywords=starbucks+pumpkin

$13 plus $5 shipping for 6 packets! Ridiculous! And yet I would have caved on spent that in the store last year. Baby steps! That first recipe from allrecipes looks amazing... already printed it out and added some of the ingredients to my next shopping list. Also, found good recipes for pumpkin bread and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.

IS IT FALL YET?!?

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »
Agreed, Pumpkin Beer is my weakness. Most of the year I can usually avoid the cost of craft beer except for a rare occasion, but come fall time, its a struggle.

So gooood

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with buying an occasional coffee from Starbucks or any other coffee shop.

The proviso is that one little word up there: occasional.

A treat is something you should look forward to.  It should be special and extraordinary, something you don't have often, something of quality.  For me, a deep rich latte fits the ticket.  I indulge in one perhaps once a month.  I look forward to it and savour it.  I don't try to drink it while driving or while distracted with work.  I sit and inhale the aroma deeply.  I hold the coffee in my mouth for a moment before I swallow.  It's a completely satisfactory experience and entirely worth the $3 or whatever it costs.

My fall thing is freshly pressed cider and hot brown sugar and cinammon donuts from the farm where we pick our apples.  We go only once and pick all the apples I need to make sauce and pie filling.  We buy one litre of cider and one dozen (traditional size which means small) donuts and share them amongst the four of us after the apple picking is done.  It is absolutely heavenly. 

Sure, the donuts and cider are a little pricey.  Sure, the donuts are defintely bad for the waistline.  But who cares.  It's once a year.  I don't sneak back the following week.  I don't six dozen to bunk into the freezer for later.  I eat my three little pieces of heaven, sigh with contentment, and then it's done till next year.

Try the same approach with your lattes and you'll probably enjoy them all the more.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
Go cold turkey

I love Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes!!!

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 06:16:40 PM »
Agree with Jennifer above.  It's tough cracking a habit but it sure helps your wallet.  I'm a coffeehouse addict, and after a break up earlier this summer (with a boy, not the coffee house - LOL), I just kind of gave myself free rein to do whatever in an attempt to make myself feel better.  Which meant I ended up at a coffee shop about 5x a week, mostly just hanging out, reading, studying on my computer.  It was tough going to back to 'normal' life but what helped me was finding a really great brewed coffee that I love (Gevalia) - tastes really good & bold just the way I like it without the char that Starbucks is notorious for.  It makes me LOOK FORWARD to brewing my own coffee in the morning, and that has been huge cause otherwise I'd be at Starbucks every morning! And I don't buy their brewed coffee, it's the fancy stuff or bust...

Another alternative could be to buy flavored creamers, I know they sell pumpkin spice flavored creamer in grocery stores.  No, not the same but if it can cut you down from 2 PSLs per week to 1, then it's a success in my book. 

And YES, it's true, the pumpkin spice sauce doesn't actually have ANY pumpkin in it... it's just artificial flavoring.  I think a few years back it had real pumpkin, but last year it did not.  You could taste the difference, I used to be all over them but now I'm over them.

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
Mmmmmm.....PSLs!

I made this syrup a bunch of times last fall. http://www.anediblemosaic.com/?p=10557
I have a recipe for a peppermint mocha creamer somewhere, too, if you're interested.

But my biggest tip: the $2.49 milk frother from IKEA. It will take your home coffee drinks to a new level for cheap. Add milk (we use almond milk and heavy cream) and syrup if desired to mug. Microwave a few seconds to warm. Froth. Pour in coffee. Heaven.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
Yes please to the peppermint mocha recipe! That's my winter weakness.

I'm pretty good with going cold turkey when it's "out of site, out of mind." Like I said, I don't really care for Starbucks coffee in general, so when I see half a dozen coworkers come in with their Starbucks cups, I simply shrug. But I know once they start bringing in the fall cups and the scent hits me, I'm gonna go buy one, unless I have an alternative.

Thank you for all the recipes! I think the first one I'll try will cost me about $5 and will last me at least 5 drinks, probably more. So excited!

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »
I have to throw this out there, as it seems every fall the entire nation desires pumpkin everything...

rujancified

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 08:02:31 AM »
I also love the pumpkin-spice lattes, but have starbucks on my 'do-not-visit' list as part of my MMM financial diet.

Last fall/winter I tinkered with various recipes and created my own.  Personally I found most recipes to be too heavy on the cinnamon and too light on other spices.  I also like the deeper flavor you get from a little bit of brown sugar.
Here 'tis
1.5 cups white sugar
0.5 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
5 -8 whole cloves

combine above in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then simmmer for about 10-15 minutes.  Cool and strain into 1 liter container.  Keeps 2+ weeks in the fridge (but I always used it up before then).
Add between 0.5 and 1 oz per drink (either drip coffee or espresso), depending on how strong you want it. Add freshly grated nutmeg just before drinking.

Bolded line is pure genius! YUM.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »

Here 'tis
1.5 cups white sugar
0.5 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
5 -8 whole cloves

thanks - IMO, adding just a touch of capsaicin (chili heat) makes the flavors of the other spices "pop".  It shouldn't be so strong that you perceive that burning sensation, but just enough to lift everything else a bit. 

rujancified

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »

Here 'tis
1.5 cups white sugar
0.5 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
5 -8 whole cloves

thanks - IMO, adding just a touch of capsaicin (chili heat) makes the flavors of the other spices "pop".  It shouldn't be so strong that you perceive that burning sensation, but just enough to lift everything else a bit.

I always drop a bit of chili powder in my hot chocolate, too. Really brings out something in the chocolate.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!