Author Topic: Prenatal Classes, worth it?  (Read 6054 times)

Lanny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Prenatal Classes, worth it?
« on: January 07, 2014, 05:50:34 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm expecting and started looking into prenatal classes, the going rate in my area seems to be around $220 for a weekend long course. For those of you who took prenatal classes did you find them useful or in the end did you feel like it wasn't really worth the cost/ time? For those that didn't take them, did you wish you had?

Thanks!

Indio

• Bristles
Re: Prenatal Classes, worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
The hospital my ob was associated with offerred free classes so I didnt pay for childbirth class. For your first child, classes are helpful to assuage fears of what you might be in for. Youtube has come a long way since i had my kids and e evrything you need is probably there. Also the book what to expect when you are expecting is a good source and you local la leche league.

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
Short answer (from experience):  first baby, yes.  Subsequent babies, nah.

Though 220 bucks is pretty darn steep either way.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:51:26 AM »
I found them priceless, not because of anything I learned, but because we were able to meet several couples in our neighborhood who were having kids the same time we were.   We are still good friends with three of those couples almost 5 years later.

We took a class that met once a week for 6 weeks or so, rather then a weekend class.   That probably made it easier to get to know the other participants. 

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:12:46 AM »
When I was a first timer, we did not take the 6 week class prenatal class. We ended up taking a "How to take care of your newborn" and breastfeeding class. Each were $10 and one night each. I had already read enough about childbirth and felt like I was more worried about what to do once we got the baby home.

For the childbirth, on the top of the self-education we did, I figured...isn't that what I'm paying all these nurses and docs for anyway? To teach me how to breathe or anything else. Plus, all the previous generations of women before me did not necessarily have a class on what to do, so I didn't feel like I needed it. I had an awesome birth experience, btw. 

I'm pregnant with our second now and it has not crossed my mind to take one.

Having a baby can be so expensive. I would save your money for buying a very solid car seat instead.

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »
I had read a LOT before the prenatal classes, and didn't learn anything new.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:10 AM »
We read a lot, and attended a free (or very cheap, don't remember) set of classes given by an association of local midwives. The class was valuable more for the interaction, q&a sessions.
Not sure what your options are but we have had very good midwife experiences. 5 kids in the house!
Bets of luck!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »
Not really, even with the first baby. I definitely wouldn't pay $220 out of pocket.

TrMama

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
Most hospitals offer a free tour of the maternity ward for pregnant couples. Start there. Ask lots of questions about how they do things (there will be some variation between hospitals).

I found having a doula to be much more helpful than any class. Although it was by far the most expensive option. We skipped getting a doula for the second kid and I kind of wish we hadn't. I would've really appreciated someone actively helping me when I hit the "I'm going to die!" point rather than a nurse staring at me like I was some kind of alien.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
trying to save $$ having a baby?  Try a free standing birth center instead of a hospital.  I had two midwife attended natural births and they were awesome!  My copay was $50 the first time and $100 the second (different insurance).  It was a global fee and included all classes, follow up appointments, even a home visit.  Best experience ever.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat if if it didn't mean ending up with a 3rd child, lol!

and to answer your question, I don't think the classes are necessary, but they are helpful.

FastStache

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
Most hospitals offer a free tour of the maternity ward for pregnant couples. Start there. Ask lots of questions about how they do things (there will be some variation between hospitals).

I found having a doula to be much more helpful than any class. Although it was by far the most expensive option. We skipped getting a doula for the second kid and I kind of wish we hadn't. I would've really appreciated someone actively helping me when I hit the "I'm going to die!" point rather than a nurse staring at me like I was some kind of alien.

I think if we have a second one we are going to opt for the doula.

Lanny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I did some extra research today and found a hospital offering a one day mini session for $80, I think we're going to go that route.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
We had an amazing experience with a birthing center.  If we have another baby will do a homebirth. 

Whether or not you want prenatal classes and what type you would benefit from depends on what kind of birth you want.  If you want a hospital birth, epidural etc then a birthing class at a hospital teaches you how to be a patient and what to expect from your medical team. 

If you want a natural birth, I think a birthing class is really helpful.  There are an amazing amount of techniques that can help you through labor and it is worth spending some time learning some of them - whether this is in a class or independently on your own etc. 

Birth matters.  Educate yourself.  And please feel free to reach out if you would like more natural birth resources.

Personally, I took Bradley classes and was very happy.  It's not for everyone - but if you want a natural birth and you're a little crunchy it just might fit!