Author Topic: Pre-Mustachian Car: Trade it in?  (Read 1543 times)

MilStachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pre-Mustachian Car: Trade it in?
« on: July 05, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
In April 2013 (*sigh* before I found MMM) I purchased a new 2013 Honda Accord, cash.  After trading in my truck I think I paid $11k.  I bought it for the luxury/reliability/MPG.  Turns out the first two were spot on, but even with Econo mode and feathering the brake and gas I only achieve high 20s MPG unless driving highway.

I currently live five minutes from work and can bike most days, but every six weeks or so I travel 350 miles back home to visit family.  I also sometimes need to travel in the local area for work, so I'm not in a position to be without a car entirely.  I'm military, leaving the service next year, and not sure where I'll be working next (working with a recruitment/placement firm).  I'm married, my wife works, we have three kids (4, 2, newborn), and about $350k in savings and investments.  My wife drives an SUV.

Is it worth it to trade in the Accord and get a less expensive car?  If so, what would you all recommend?  KBB dealer trade-in is about $19k, private party about $21k. 

Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!