Author Topic: Practicing for early retirement... With unemployment :( Help?  (Read 6753 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
I thrive in a structured environment.

The contract for my last job ended, and I've been without full-time employment for about a week. Emotionally, mentally, it's not going well.

I've applied for a number of jobs in my field, and there's a solid choice that I'll have gainful employment in 1-3 months. I also saved up a meagre amount of money that is enough to live on, but not enough to have fun with. I'm also working part-time at a minimum wage job to ensure I get dressed some morning ;) And it brings in some monies!

If you have any words of advice for how to deal with this short-term situation, I'm all ears. Keep in mind my default activity has been reading, because it's free and low energy. If you're going to suggest I go jogging or something that I know is good for me but takes energy - well, that probably isn't going to happen. Add to it the fact that I've been staying at home as much as possible... Because I know if I go out, I'll spend spend spend.

Ok end rant. I guess I just needed an outlet, and I don't want my friends and family to know that I'm already feeling so dejected. Thanks :)

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Practicing for early retirement... With unemployment :( Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
Maybe pick up a skill you've been wanting to learn. Do any of your friends have an instrument you could borrow for 1-3 months? What other projects can you think of that you would want to tackle? What could make you more money in your field? Would learning to code or pick up a new language for gits and shiggles? Maybe something in the arts? Write short stories or paint.

And don't discount exercise so readily. For the vast majority of the population exercise will provide as much if not more energy and motivation as it takes. It doesn't have to be jogging, even daily walking going to a new location within five miles of your home, will give you plenty of exercise if you already don't exercise.

The point will be is that you will have to provide your own structure. I do understand your concern. One week of vacation had me bouncing off the walls by the second day. I'm promising myself that in the future that I'll give myself a week long project.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »
Or paint a piece of furniture, learn to cook the best dish you've ever had in a restaurant, take something apart and clean it and put it back together (an old clock or a mixer perhaps), plant some seeds.  As for going out, this time of year there are free activities everywhere. Just leave your money at home and take a water bottle and snack with you.  go through your stuff and take some things to a consignment shop.  make that part time job something you have wanted to know more about...barista maybe? temp at a university? 

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »
Register at a temp agency? Or maybe volunteer somewhere? Even if it's just for 1-3 months, I'm sure a local nonprofit would love your help doing data entry, or filing, or staffing programs.

Also, while it might be hard to not spend when you go out (whether you meant for social activities or just leaving the house for unstructured time), that's a great mental muscle to build up now. Be strong! Get out there!

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
This kind of amazes me when people have the "I don't know what I'd do..." attitude.  There is so much that I want to do.  Gardening, knitting, sewing, canning, etc.  I get a huge amount of personal satisfaction from making useful things.

My ideal life would be one where I could sleep when I'm tired, eat when I'm hungry, and have unlimited time, space and funds to pursue any hobby I wanted.

Do you have any hobbies, or are there any you'd like to have?

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »
There are tons of free meetups that you can join that will interest you.
www.meetup.com
That and you can socialize with people.
I recently joined a gardening club.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »
I've been looking for a job too, so i sympathize with needing some structure to my days. I wrote down things I have been meaning to do but didn't have the time for when working full-time, and am tackling these projects one by one. Decluttering the house and selling stuff on craigslist and ebay, redecorating my son's bedroom on the cheap, getting the family photos into order, shopping thrift stores for "business casual" clothes i will need for my new job and interviewing (so I don't have to rush and pay full price at a department store).

tomatoprincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
I think this is more of a mental issue than actually having nothing to do. Perhaps you need to think of the time you spend unemployed as finally getting some much needed vacation time, which will help you relax and not stress about jobs.

To give yourself some structure, schedule a time in the day (preferably in the morning to get you out of bed) to look for jobs. Concentrate on it for 1-2 hrs, do something relaxing, than go back for another hour in the afternoon. Or...if you have something you've always wanted to do, schedule those in.

Also, spend time with family, after I started working, I cherish the time spent hanging out with family, cause everybody's so busy.

It's summer! I'd love to have a few months off. Maybe I should go back to school =P

John74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
If you need some structure then create some for yourself. Wake up and go to bed at the same time every day. Eat your meals at the same time every day. Create a schedule if you have to and stick to it. And get out of your house at least once a day. If you are afraid to spend money when you go out, then leave your money at home. Go walking. Surely that's low energy enough. The fresh air will do you some good, as will being around other people.

MDash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
My work is often cyclical.  For a while I am swamped, then nothing for a few weeks.  When I am working a lot, I always wish I had more time to do other stuff.  When I am not working, I get confused about what I should even be doing with myself. 

One thing I like to do though is take free online courses, to learn about stuff I wouldn't normally get a chance to do.  Check out www.coursera.org.

Taking a class or two online provides a certain structure to your week when you know you need to schedule time to do the classwork and video watching.  Once you start scheduling one part of your life it is easier to schedule more and more of it until you feel a lot less lost.

ep114

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
hhmmm, the part about not wanting to do anything that would take energy caught my eye. Often when people have some free time they plan to exercise more, not less (if it actually happens is a different story).  Do you think you're depressed? Do you currently have health insurance? There are sometimes free counseling services....

katieboo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »
I know how you feel and it will never feel like a vacation while you're unemployed. I was unemployed for almost 6 months after graduating law school. Every morning I'd leave the house wearing a suit. When I wasn't making cold calls in person to law firms and asking for impromptu interviews, I went to court and sat and watched trials in progress, all while still wearing my suit.

I would recommend doing something in the morning same time every day, and dress up, business casual or a suit or something. Maybe drop by and visit some of the employers you applied with, or find new employers and drop off your resume and ask for an interview, or do something that is related to your profession.

Something along those lines is what I would recommend.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
Great ideas, people!

:)

I was feeling very depressed and lethargic (being in bed all day will do that to a person), but I'm turning a new leaf.

Gameplan: yoga, blogging, walking, talk to one friend a day (minimum). Watch Modern Family. Spend a bit of money on feel good activities, like getting a haircut or new interview shirt.

I can do this.

It is so hard to stay positive, though. I moved with my bf to my current city... And my support system (apart from him) is pretty far away.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »
Since it's summer... and you mentioned turning a leaf? Why not garden? It costs some to start one :S but the startup cost shouldn't be for multiple years aside from the seed/plant. If you can reuse the tools if you don't have them already/the garden frame if you choose to have one.

Plus in the 1-3 month time frame, you'll be able to get things growing and when you are working again, you'll have fresh veggies at your home when you get back

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 04:40:37 AM »
*big hugs*

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I wrote down things I have been meaning to do but didn't have the time for when working full-time, and am tackling these projects one by one.

I second this suggestion.  In my case, I am not unemployed, but have just finished grad school and have more free time than usual, so I've been tackling outstanding items on my to-do list:

plant rose bush
paint hallway
list items on craigslist
order cable modem
etc...

At least you can be productive while you're looking!  Should help make you feel better to know you're getting stuff done.