Author Topic: Powerpoint presentation to support good investment/mortgage/etc habits?  (Read 2652 times)

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
Hi Folks,

as I talk to my friends more and more about how investing into indices can get them hundreds of thousands in a long run, how paying extra 100 on mortgage can save them years of loan, how to balance the two, how to do 401k better, how to ditch very expensive funds in favor of Vanguard ones (ok, I still have 50% PABGX myself but I know what I'm signing up for and might drop it soon), etc - all they say is "whaaaa.. you can have hundreds of 1000s in 20 years???".
I'm asking the Mustachians here if you have a presentation handy that goes over this? I want to organize a seminar for my buddies here t prove the point with graphs and numbers. If not, I might make one myself. Thanks!! Happy Holidays!

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
Re: Powerpoint presentation to support good investment/mortgage/etc habits?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
It will ALWAYS mean more if it comes from you directly.   My advice:  make your OWN PowerPoint presentation.

Here's one *I* put together to introduce some smart like-minded folks to FI.  Feel free to use it, 'leverage' it, etc. 

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
Cool. Thank you! I might use a couple of your examples.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:16:40 AM »
I think someone tried this with their wife once... sure I saw a thread on it a couple of years back.

The guy wanted to amaze her with pretty graphs and things and lines going up and lots of $$$ signs.

Good luck! sure it will be great!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:00:29 AM by marty998 »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
Pretty cool! I never saw that before

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
Pretty cool! I never saw that before
I'm not surprised.  Approximately 10 people attended that presentation - it was something I put together for a gathering in Portland back in May 2015. 
I wrote a step-wise outline of Pete's "From zero to hero" post.  I followed all the links in that post, found the 'monthly budget' chart (and broke it up over several slides), added appropriate pictures, and made sure not to *read the slides* during the presentation. 

You'll find lots of notes in the 'notes view' page for the IRA vs Roth IRA investment chart, but if you look closely, they both end up at about the same place by age 58.

The key is to live below your means, enjoy what you HAVE, and most importantly... have a plan, follow the plan, and PAY YOURSELF FIRST.  If you don't have a destination in mind, you'll never get there.