Author Topic: Potential new job - understanding expectations  (Read 1276 times)

NewPerspective

• Stubble
Potential new job - understanding expectations
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
Hello!

I'm looking for some input on a potential new job dilemma.

I have spent the last 7 years working as an administrator in a small non-academic department at a University.  It has been a good job overall and I have a great boss. 

I believe I will be offered a position within a very large academic department at the same University (it is in a Dean's office for those of you in academia).  The move will be lateral with about the same pay and the same benefits such as healthcare etc. 

I believe I will find the actual work in the new position more interesting and impactful but I have a couple of hesitations.  I'm a little concerned about my potential new supervisor.  She comes across as quite stern. During the interview I asked how she would describe her management style, she said firm but fair.  I also have a small concern that she might be the type with will dump work on her "assistant" and not offer much support.

In my current role, I work a pretty standard 8-5 day however if I ever need to leave early, run an errand, take my mom to the doctor, take my dog to the vet, it is absolutely no problem at all.  My boss does not mind and actually encourages me to work from home or leave early on Fridays (of course I never abuse this).  I'm not sure if the new boss would be as flexible.  This is actually something that would significantly impact my work happiness.  Would it be appropriate for me to ask her about this once I receive an offer? If so, how do I ask without sounding like a slacker?

The new position is much more visible within the University, this is both good and bad.  Often I wonder why I'm doing the things I do in my current role because no one seems to much care (very small department, focused on something very niche).  However, my boss is very motivated and enthusiastic so that has helped maintain some motivation over the years.   I believe I would immediately feel my contributions were making a difference in the new role.  I would also work with many more people and have better opportunities for building a good network (not that I'm looking for climbing the corporate ladder but I like the idea of being part of a bigger team).

TLDR:  I'm burnt out in my current position although I have a great boss and some flexibility with work hours.  I have an opportunity for a new position that would likely be more interesting however I'm concerned about the boss's management style and potentially losing flexibility that I have now.  Is appropriate to meet with the potential new boss after I receive an offer (and before accepting) to try and learn more?  How do I ask these kinds of questions?

plog

• Bristles
Re: Potential new job - understanding expectations
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:13:34 PM »
This is why you make a list of questions to ask the person you are interviewing with before the interview.  It's a cliche, but you are interviewing them as well. 

I would do some back channel recon.  Ask others who are/have working there what it is like and what to expect.  Those answers will be more valuable.  Then if you receive an offer and you have unanswered questions discuss your issues with the person you will be working under. Be honest like you did in your post and you won't come off as a slacker.     

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Potential new job - understanding expectations
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 01:02:06 AM »
+1 for asking others in the dean's apartment what they think about her as a boss.

You know what you've got and you have a great boss. There are a lot of not so great bosses out there. The grass is seldom greener on the other side, just different.

If you want to change jobs, you could also look further at other positions where you not only make a lateral switch, but also get higher pay. Is there any chance that you could negotiate a salary bump in this new position?

For the flexibility question, I would focus on the element of flexible and it being both ways. Sometimes you can put it some extra time for the company, other times, you can go early when you need it. Doesn't that sound reasonable?